I got my alkin today..

Made the drive to Bakers to pick it up today. Met the guys and gal that was working on a Saturday. Very kind and helpful. I had a great time. Checked out some airrifles and equipment . I got to handle a evol 22 mini... I shouldn't have... man that is one fine rifle!! Super light... looks fantastic.. felt great! I gotta have one someday. I got the compressor wired up and run in. I topped off my tank... wow!! Just WOW!! this thing rocks...
20220611_154724.jpg

It's between the Alkin and the Coltri... still contemplating.
I had it down between those 2 compressors also. It's a hard decision as one is a bit cheaper than the other but which is the best for the money?? Which one will there will be parts for in the future?? The list goes on. I've read what I could here. Even had a few guys PM me giving me advice on their compressor.. and if they had it to do over again they would buy...The way I see it.. I got my first PCP in 2006 (shot springers and co2 before then) and this hobby I've never left.. slowed down from time to time but never left it.. so if a person is in this hobby and is sure their going to make it a lifetime hobby... just go ahead and jump in the deep end of the pool. What really made up my mind is talking to shops and the repairs they do on pcp rifles where guys skimp on filtration. Its important a compressor has the proper filters to keep the air dry.. we spend thousands on our guns... and cheap out on the most important part that powers them up... the cost of 2 quality pcp rifles buys a nice compressor that is quality and has the proper filtration system.

I had it down between those 2 compressors also. It's a hard decision as one is a bit cheaper than the other but which is the best for the money?? Which one will there will be parts for in the future?? The list goes on. I've read what I could here. Even had a few guys PM me giving me advice on their compressor.. and if they had it to do over again they would buy...The way I see it.. I got my first PCP in 2006 (shot springers and co2 before then) and this hobby I've never left.. slowed down from time to time but never left it.. so if a person is in this hobby and is sure their going to make it a lifetime hobby... just go ahead and jump in the deep end of the pool. What really made up my mind is talking to shops and the repairs they do on pcp rifles where guys skimp on filtration. Its important a compressor has the proper filters to keep the air dry.. we spend thousands on our guns... and cheap out on the most important part that powers them up... the cost of 2 quality pcp rifles buys a nice compressor that is quality and has the proper filtration system.
Thanks for that; the part that has me on the fence is that the Coltri has the Honda engine option, a plus for portability.

@FelixS - The Alkin W31 also has a gas engine option, though in the horizontal version only. Price is the same as the equivalent power (3.7CFM or 4.9CFM) electric version.

Just got my Alkin & went with the gas version, as it'll occasionally be taken on short trips to places without an outlet handy.

That said, "portable" is a relative term (it's pretty big, & weighs ~150 lbs). Had it delivered to my work, & was able to wrestle it into my car & then onto a cart at home... but it would have been much easier with a 2nd person!
Bought the steel garden cart specifically to house the compressor, making it easy to get in & out of the garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: FelixS
@FelixS - The Alkin W31 also has a gas engine option, though in the horizontal version only. Price is the same as the equivalent power (3.7CFM or 4.9CFM) electric version.

Just got my Alkin & went with the gas version, as it'll occasionally be taken on short trips to places without an outlet handy.

That said, "portable" is a relative term (it's pretty big, & weighs ~150 lbs). Had it delivered to my work, & was able to wrestle it into my car & then onto a cart at home... but it would have been much easier with a 2nd person!
Bought the steel garden cart specifically to house the compressor, making it easy to get in & out of the garage.
Thanks, now they are even again, LOL!

When I was contemplating which compressor to buy. I ended up going with warranty. Even though warranty service on an Alkin would almost be impractical because of me living in Arizona. I figured the Alkin must be pretty good since they have a 2 year warranty. At the time of my purchase they were the only company I found that had that long warranty. I never checked Bauer the price was out of my range.

Thanks for that; the part that has me on the fence is that the Coltri has the Honda engine option, a plus for portability.
Going with a gas engine was my first plan when I first started looking to upgrade compressors as I wanted to keep it in the garage and be able to take it camping.. (I stired and use my old compressor in the garage) when it came time to rebuild my old compressor the corrosion was unreal... I dont know if I'm outta line in my thinking... you might want to ask around... but I think it that the excessive corrosion was cause by using my compressor in an uncontrolled climate... high humidity... and so on. I believe that it makes a difference in the air (climate) it takes in to produce air.. even though I ran good filters to my tank...the air going in... well the constant temp swings in the state I live in probably didn't help it... the alkin sets in the man cave in the house. kept at a constant temperature year around. I just invested in a couple of more tanks to take on camping/traveling trips. I would rather pack and unpack a couple of tanks that a compressor..

Reactions: wolfmangreg
Good point, & something I considered. Mine came with a few feet of hose attached to the intake filter (to keep it away from the gas engine exhaust).
Plan to extend that house a few more feet & feed it through a small window leading inside the air conditioned house.
Don't know if it's necessary, but it can't hurt to have the intake air be less humid than ambient outside conditions.
If nothing else, the water separator & filter will not be worked as hard.

Good point, & something I considered. Mine came with a few feet of hose attached to the intake filter (to keep it away from the gas engine exhaust).
Plan to extend that house a few more feet & feed it through a small window leading inside the air conditioned house.
Don't know if it's necessary, but it can't hurt to have the intake air be less humid than ambient outside conditions.
If nothing else, the water separator & filter will not be worked as hard.
You can add a desiccant filter at the input as well, just ensure there is no restriction.