I give up on 177 slugs!!!!!!!!

I give up , Now I have 3 guns in 177, Veteran #2 , Uragan stranded, And my Prophet # 2 that I wanted as My slug gun.I have tried about five different slugs , I have tried 800 to 1000 and over FPS. And no I am not just going to keep buying slugs and chasing the accuracy that is not there. I got one to group pretty good at 30 yards but not 48 yards, They can not even come close to my pellet accuracy. I expect to drop a sparrow at 30,48, and 70 yards . Yes the little 10 gr JSB pellet is the king in all 3 guns, Well the Vulcan likes the JSB Hades also just a tie .
NSA, Zan, JSB, H&N and a couple other slugs' just tossed in the trash, Yes I have polished my barrel, cleaned it after each slug , I am just going back to my good ole pellets and I hope I have not ruined my barrel shooting all this lead crap in the barrel, Going to Mexico to the Dentist so I want be back for a few days. So I want know until I get back ,
I am just going back to I shoot pellet guns , Not crap slug guns in my barrels anyway. My guns were designed and made to shoot pellets , Not balls. Not slugs, but good ole PELLETS,,,
Oh one more thing , If I was to buy a barrel made for slugs, I will say it again, Designed and made for SLUGS I might start over again.
I got some magazines for sale in the WTS site, I am going to load up all my 177 slugs and stick in the box for free.
Mike

No one can't say you didn't try. They are (at least to me) time consuming and expensive to tune in.
I think there should be a slug only barrel or a pellet only barrel.. the slug barrel should be made to a standard size..meaning none of this 20 different size slugs in +/- .0005 increments in the same weight to choose from crap!

I give up , Now I have 3 guns in 177, Veteran #2 , Uragan stranded, And my Prophet # 2 that I wanted as My slug gun.I have tried about five different slugs , I have tried 800 to 1000 and over FPS. And no I am not just going to keep buying slugs and chasing the accuracy that is not there. I got one to group pretty good at 30 yards but not 48 yards, They can not even come close to my pellet accuracy. I expect to drop a sparrow at 30,48, and 70 yards . Yes the little 10 gr JSB pellet is the king in all 3 guns, Well the Vulcan likes the JSB Hades also just a tie .
NSA, Zan, JSB, H&N and a couple other slugs' just tossed in the trash, Yes I have polished my barrel, cleaned it after each slug , I am just going back to my good ole pellets and I hope I have not ruined my barrel shooting all this lead crap in the barrel, Going to Mexico to the Dentist so I want be back for a few days. So I want know until I get back ,
I am just going back to I shoot pellet guns , Not crap slug guns in my barrels anyway. My guns were designed and made to shoot pellets , Not balls. Not slugs, but good ole PELLETS,,,
Oh one more thing , If I was to buy a barrel made for slugs, I will say it again, Designed and made for SLUGS I might start over again.
I got some magazines for sale in the WTS site, I am going to load up all my 177 slugs and stick in the box for free.
Mike
The $500 Stoeger Amazon bull shark In .177 loves slugs, I promise!

I went back to pellets also because they are Pellet Guns. My gun shot them well, but I didn’t like how far they carried, plus pellets are cheaper. I can tune the gun down for pellets and get more shots per fill too.
It takes a while to circle back but I think this is the way. This whole slug movement is interesting for sure, and the capabilities of slugs are awesome, but they don't come close to pellets for me. I would rather have an order of magnitude more shots per fill, and the innate accuracy that pellets provide. I have not seen a slug shoot out of any .30 or smaller pellet gun that made any sense to me. The youtubers that sensationalize these amazing long range shots with slugs are just salesmen saying what they have to to make a dollar. They don't tell you about the half dozen shots they had to take before what you see.

The .177 slug rabbit hole.

I was bitten by that bug, more than once.
Shooting great one moment, cr@p the next.
I always blamed different slugs batches.

Not being technically minded hasn't helped, however best results started to happen after I started to play with transfer port sizes. RTI prophet.
3mm transfer port, polished barrel and JSB knockout have always given me the best results.
JSB knockout were developed when we were all using standard barrels, 1:17.7 I believe.
Probably the same twist rate as most current .177 barrels.

I'm happy with current accuracy to 130 meters.

Would I go through the expense and head scratching again, probably not.
I'm too old for rollercoaster rides.🙂.

,22 and slugs, easier ballgame. Cz non chocked or RPB barrel excellent head start.

Good luck to all, whatever the goal.
Gary

Mike
My .177 uragan standard likes NSA .. 15gr at 950fps, n griffin cup base 16 a bit better .if I have not tension the barrel of my 4 AGT. I would have sold them all .. I only shoot slugs from the 177 n 22 the .25 vulcan 3 500mm n the uragan standard. 30 could shoot both pellets n slugs. Only because the barrels are tensioned.. with a pice of hard plastic .. there is nothing safe up to 140y with that uragan 177 shooting slugs. Is simply Goin down..

20231203_100335.jpg

I really do feel bad for all those who have had struggles with slugs. My experience has been exactly the opposite and I'm happy to have the option to use them. I also have a massive stash of pellets and happily shoot thousands of them every year too.
I have had the same experience as you. First in an Impact MK2, then a Crown MK2 and now a Panthera. With a little tuning time and moderate expense I was able to find the correct slug and power settings to really make them all fantastic shooters. Now, these were all .22 caliber which is not a direct comparison to the original posters problems.
Kenny

Reactions: EdinGa
I haven't tried slugs in 17 cal so there's that.

A friend has 20gr 17 cal slugs shooting well in a fast twist barrel but he says the barrel leads up quickly then precision begins to falter.

But a slug that shoots well in a gun can really shine at farther distances and is coming into its own well past 100Y. It's a energy on target and wind drift thing because of higher BC's vs pellets.

Honestly if after a few groups of unsuccess I'd abandon the slug being tried sooner rather than later because I'm not the tuner type of person. Twist rate can have a lot to do with this equation and so does the fit of the slung to the bore so .001" larger helps. However some slugs don't have the CG, etc, conducive to optimal flight.

Regular WD40 as a lube all but stops leading in a decent barrel.

Inside about 80Y I'm happy using pellets except for "wind drift" which can be 5 times more than one slug I'm currently using. Actually I've mostly transitioned to slugs except for the 17 cals and the lower powered 22's/30 fpe.

All that being said I didn't think I would have liked slugs so much just 3 years ago.