I get glare at night from scope

Hello, using my bugbuster at night,and i keep getting glare from light bulbs. Im not sure if it is my scope issue or not. Here are some views.

The scope photo doesnt show the glare well, and i cant get a good photo of it.

Would a honey comb looking scope cover solve this?

65FA5245-32B6-4993-A031-EAAA6D5DFE93.jpeg

C80C0F00-1674-4D7D-80CA-F9F1AC0ED76F.jpeg

Lens flare. It happens. Maybe a honeycomb type shade would diffuse it enough to be unnoticeable, maybe not. Or some type of polarizing filter like cameras use. If you have a pair of sunglasses (most have polarizing lenses) hold a lens in front of scope & rotate till flare goes away. It would tell you if that type of filter work.

Last edited:
Lens flare. It happens. Maybe a honeycomb type shade would diffuse it enough to be unnoticeable, maybe not. Or some type of polarizing filter like cameras use. If you have a pair of sunglasses (most have polarizing lenses) hold a lens in front of scope & rotate till flare goes away. It would tell you if that type of filter work.
i was just going to type this same thing

I know this will be harder, but if the picture you posted is your "gallery" for shooting/pesting/etc, put "blinds" on the bulb/lights so that the bulbs don't shine directly at you/the scope.

The "blinds" don't have to be very big. Just enough to block direct light from the bulbs to the scope.

Yeah, with that many bulbs it will take some doing, but it will still be cheaper than buying a scope that can deal with it. And I am not really sure even an expensive scope will be much better.

Just a thought... (smile)

Reactions: SHOMER
Lens flare from light that is not being used to make the sight picture can be tamed by anti reflective coatings on lens optics. These coatings are integral to the optical design of good glass, and the formulas for these coatings are highly competitive. A lower cost scope is not going to have good optical coatings. This will be noticeable in almost any kind of light, with differing symptoms depending on the lighting conditions.

Reactions: Peskådot671
I hadve a background in amateur astronomy (years back). Similar issues could happen with refractor telescopes (which is what a rifle scope is...) There are two types of glass used in astronomic telescopes achromatic and apochromatic. The difference between the two is the focal distance for various colors. AC focuses colors at a different focal plane based on color wavelength this can cause fringes and smears of light where they shouldn't be. APO glass focuses all colors at the same first focal plane. It does this by adding a third lens to the objective. I've never noticed the type of glass in rifle scope specifications. That may be a factor in what's going on.

Reactions: SHOMER
Way too much direct unshaded lighting for both your target and your eyes. o_O
Try dropping the car lot style lighting and using two or three cheap shaded clip on with low watt or better still green night sight saving bulbs. UTG buster glass does that visions deal with too much light entering the head-scope box. :cool:
I'm unable to change the lighting, I can turn it off though. Everything in the backyard must stay as is, since the deal with my wife was:
I can shoot whenever, whatever, as long as no visible damages & no changes in her backyard.

I was told red light is better than green light for rat shooting. I'm trying to figure out how to attached it on my gun without making it too bulky.

I've found that either the red or green light depends a lot on your own personal eye conditions, example old vs young etc.
I've got a couple of cheap clip on lights that work well with a bug buster. Another thing you could try is unscrewing every other light bulb only while stalking. And then returning full lighting when done to stay within the preset terms of your agreement or go NV DARK side of course. :cool:

Darkness.jpg

Last edited: