I finally tagged my coyote #8 but...

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
Coyote #8 – the final chapter or the curse continue?

What do I mean by the title? Well, for those of you who has followed my journey to my coyote #8 hunt will know what I have been through and the two failed attempts that I had in the month of December of last year.

I got a text from the farmer this past Friday March 15 saying that the coyotes have been active again at the pit digging up the dead calves and eating them. I have been monitoring their activities since December and my trail cam had captured many clips of them coming and going at different times and dates. There was no regular pattern to their visits, just randomly showing up making it very difficult to setup an ambush.

I was busy that evening, but I was able to come to the site the next evening at 8:15pm. Sun was already set, and it was getting dark. I quickly went up to the loft and setup my tripod by the window and mounted on my FX Impact MK2. I didn’t want to do a test shot and make any noise because these coyotes have come here around 7:30pm before. However, I did zero my gun on the day before. I did a pre-check with my Pard007S night vision scope to make sure it was recording properly and have enough battery life in it.

I placed my chair about 5 feet from the edge of the window and positioned myself so I could watch the trail cam below. I sat and waited patiently, and I visualized the procedure I would need to perform when I saw a coyote.

It has been almost 3 months ago since I was here last. I remembered vividly the two attempts that occurred at this same location where I failed to hit the same coyote. 1st attempt was on Dec.12 where the coyote duck its head down and the slug missed and possibly clipped off some of its head fur. 2nd attempt was on Dec.26 when I had anticipated the coyote to stay down to eat the flesh of the dead calf. Unfortunately, it lowered its head, grabbed a hold of the cow’s hide, and immediately pulled back. My slug hit where its head should have been and impacted the concrete retaining wall. This coyote had escaped death twice.

My note to myself was to keep calm and be patience if I get a third chance tonight. Well, my opportunity came much sooner than I had anticipated. In the past I had waited between 4 to 6 hours sitting in the cold, freezing nights before seeing any activity and I often, went home without seeing any coyotes. This night must be my lucky night as only 45 minutes had passed when I saw movement down below using my Nikon binoculars. I saw a dark figure came into view from the right. I caught a glimpse of the coyote and I quickly sprung up the seat and quietly moving towards my gun.

I immediately turned on the external IR light mounted on the right side of my Impact and followed with a firm pressed on the power button of my Pard007S. My heart was racing fast, and my adrenaline was sky high. I have been here before and experienced the exact same thing, so I ordered myself to breathe and calm the f@ck down. So, I took in a couple of deep breaths and opened my eye to the bright white light from the night vision camera. My eye quickly came into focus, and I saw the coyote just hopped on to the dirt mount.

Everything happened so quickly but time seemed to be moving in slow motion, at least that was how I felt at the time. I tracked the coyote’s head with the cross hair. It was standing upward on the dirt mount, and it turned its head to the left and looked back as if it was looking at its mate for an assurance that it was safe to be there. It then took a step up and faced directly in my direction. The recording time started at 19:55:51 which should be 20:55:51 as I didn’t change the daylight-saving time. It only took 9 seconds when I squeezed off the shot and the slug rocketed thru the barrel at 968fps, packing 52 ft.lb of energy, hitting its left temple and dropping the coyote helplessly to the ground. The coyote’s mouth was wide opened as it hit the dirt and its hind legs were stretched back violently. The front paws were moving in an uncontrolled manner, as if it was trying to crawl. The head, tail and paws quickly came to rest. It took 9 seconds for it to stop moving completely. It was a quick and humane kill shot. I continued to film thru the scope cam and saw that a follow up shot was not needed. The chest was not moving, and it had stopped breathing.

I finally tagged my coyote #8. Or did I…

I will post this video as soon as possible. Please be sure to watch it and find out what happened.
Here are 4 sequent of shots.

Thank you.
Air Rifle Pesting

Coyote #8 002.jpg

Coyote #8 001.jpg

Coyote #8 004.jpg

Coyote #8 003.jpg

Last edited:
hmm, the order of the pictures are messed up. Anyway, just look at the time line.
@Max115 The order may be scrambled, but with your detailed description of events it is easy to see that the 2nd photo was the pre-shot photo because the left temple is exposed there. From there the position of the coyote within the photos and the timestamp tells the tale. Great write up. Waiting for the video. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter
Coyote #8 – the final chapter or the curse continue?

What do I mean by the title? Well, for those of you who has followed my journey to my coyote #8 hunt will know what I have been through and the two failed attempts that I had in the month of December of last year.

I got a text from the farmer this past Friday March 15 saying that the coyotes have been active again at the pit digging up the dead calves and eating them. I have been monitoring their activities since December and my trail cam had captured many clips of them coming and going at different times and dates. There was no regular pattern to their visits, just randomly showing up making it very difficult to setup an ambush.

I was busy that evening, but I was able to come to the site the next evening at 8:15pm. Sun was already set, and it was getting dark. I quickly went up to the loft and setup my tripod by the window and mounted on my FX Impact MK2. I didn’t want to do a test shot and make any noise because these coyotes have come here around 7:30pm before. However, I did zero my gun on the day before. I did a pre-check with my Pard007S night vision scope to make sure it was recording properly and have enough battery life in it.

I placed my chair about 5 feet from the edge of the window and positioned myself so I could watch the trail cam below. I sat and waited patiently, and I visualized the procedure I would need to perform when I saw a coyote.

It has been almost 3 months ago since I was here last. I remembered vividly the two attempts that occurred at this same location where I failed to hit the same coyote. 1st attempt was on Dec.12 where the coyote duck its head down and the slug missed and possibly clipped off some of its head fur. 2nd attempt was on Dec.26 when I had anticipated the coyote to stay down to eat the flesh of the dead calf. Unfortunately, it lowered its head, grabbed a hold of the cow’s hide, and immediately pulled back. My slug hit where its head should have been and impacted the concrete retaining wall. This coyote had escaped death twice.

My note to myself was to keep calm and be patience if I get a third chance tonight. Well, my opportunity came much sooner than I had anticipated. In the past I had waited between 4 to 6 hours sitting in the cold, freezing nights before seeing any activity and I often, went home without seeing any coyotes. This night must be my lucky night as only 45 minutes had passed when I saw movement down below using my Nikon binoculars. I saw a dark figure came into view from the right. I caught a glimpse of the coyote and I quickly sprung up the seat and quietly moving towards my gun.

I immediately turned on the external IR light mounted on the right side of my Impact and followed with a firm pressed on the power button of my Pard007S. My heart was racing fast, and my adrenaline was sky high. I have been here before and experienced the exact same thing, so I ordered myself to breathe and calm the f@ck down. So, I took in a couple of deep breaths and opened my eye to the bright white light from the night vision camera. My eye quickly came into focus, and I saw the coyote just hopped on to the dirt mount.

Everything happened so quickly but time seemed to be moving in slow motion, at least that was how I felt at the time. I tracked the coyote’s head with the cross hair. It was standing upward on the dirt mount, and it turned its head to the left and looked back as if it was looking at its mate for an assurance that it was safe to be there. It then took a step up and faced directly in my direction. The recording time started at 19:55:51 which should be 20:55:51 as I didn’t change the daylight-saving time. It only took 9 seconds when I squeezed off the shot and the slug rocketed thru the barrel at 968fps, hitting its left temple and dropping the coyote helplessly to the ground packing 52 ft.lb of energy thru the brain. The coyote’s mouth was wide opened as it hit the dirt and its hind legs were stretched back violently. The front paws were moving in an uncontrolled manner, as if it was trying to crawl. The head, tail and paws quickly came to rest. It took 9 seconds for it to stop moving completely. It was a quick and humane kill shot. I continued to film thru the scope cam and saw that a follow up shot was not needed. The chest was not moving, and it had stopped breathing.

I finally tagged my coyote #8. Or did I…

I will post this video as soon as possible. Please be sure to watch it and find out what happened.
Here are 4 sequent of shots.

Thank you.
Air Rifle Pesting

View attachment 446537

View attachment 446538

View attachment 446539

View attachment 446540
Wonderful write up , good story telling impatiently awaiting the video.

Thank you all for chiming in and following my coyote journey. I am just finalizing this video. I do have three videos ahead of this one to be edited and released, but I think I will break the timeline and launch this one ahead of time because I want to share it with you guys sooner.

Please wait for a bit longer and I will post it as soon as possible.

Do let me know your thoughts after watching the video and help me understand the event that happened after the shot. Yes, something mysterious and unexplained happened afterward.

Cheers.

lol, ya me too. Unfortunately the trail cam failed to record again which was really puzzling because it was functioning but just not when the coyote showed up and disappearing. This has happened in the past as well when I shot the coyote #7. No recording from trail cam as well except when I was there to look at the body afterward.

Strange things happen in the farm I guess, lol. This will be unsolved and I would never find out the truth. My trail cam is still there to monitor the area, so hopefully in the near future, it will capture more sightings of coyote. I believe there is only one left now. There were three in total and I have shot two, I think lol.

Did you see how much blood lost was at the shot location. If there was a significant amount of blood that yote is dead for sure. I don't know anything about yotes, but coons brain shots are a bloody mess. Unlikely but a possibility that another coyote dragged the body away. I can't see how with the shot location it would walk away. Another possibility is since you didn't verify your zero your shot really didn't hit where you were aiming, the shot just grazed the skull, knocking out the yote for a few minutes. I don't own a Impact but have read that they don't maintain zero if you bump the barrel and can have 1st shot fliers. But at only 17 yards a slight off pellet would still do the job.

Unfortunately, there was no sign of any disturbance to the dirt mount or any blood trail. I did zero the gun the day before when I was there to shoot some pigeons, just not that night. As you mentioned, it wouldn't have change that much at the 17 yards distance. My experience with all the coyotes I have shot, all with head shots, lots of blood would come out of the wound, mouth and ears. All except coyote #7 where I didn't see much blood at all when the shot was hit at the back of the skull. This happened at the same pit location and I did see the body afterwards.

As with it got dragged away by another coyote is probably unlikely as I didn't see any drag marks on the ground. 4 minutes wasn't a long time but this was the case where one would think something unnatural or not normal to have happened. What trouble me was the fact that it wasn't breathing at all before I cut off the recording. I was ready to do a follow up shot if I saw any movement with it breathing at all. If it got knocked out unconscious, then it should still be breathing and the lungs/heart working in a frantic manner. It just laid there, like a dead log.

I hope to capture more trail cam footages in the next month or two. There were a total of three coyotes at this location. There should be only one left now in this pack. Yup, strange indeed.

Reactions: jdanvers
I’ve had this happen. It’s what others have said. You knocked it out. But even more specifically, you temporary shut its nervous system down. To include breathing. In case your thinking you can fix things with a bigger gun, well the last time it happened to me I was using a .25 with a 32gr going 1,048fps. A raccoon was quartering towards me and I delivered one of those shots that you actually feel the impact. It just folded under and laid there. Next morning, gone. We are seriously underpowered for these type of critters. With how strong their will to live and flee is coupled with how precise our shots have to be, don’t sweat it. It comes with the territory. You have done everything in your power, even your choice of slug to ensure the best outcome. Nice job. Keep after them.

Most likely the yote walked away with a bad headache. I never trust trail cams, or motion activated webcams to catch the action. False triggers, missed triggers and trigger delays all add up to disappointment. I assure I catch all the action I use a webcam that is recording all the time mounted a few feet from the bait area. The viewpoint is excellent, you won't miss the action and you don't need any additional IR lighting to turn on on you gun. I did have a death dancing coon knock over my tripod though. The webcam survived.

If you want to ensure they never walk off again. Don't follow the saying "one shot, one kill." Instead pump a few more pellets into the lungs while it is down to make sure it isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: JimD
I’ve had this happen. It’s what others have said. You knocked it out. But even more specifically, you temporary shut its nervous system down. To include breathing. In case your thinking you can fix things with a bigger gun, well the last time it happened to me I was using a .25 with a 32gr going 1,048fps. A raccoon was quartering towards me and I delivered one of those shots that you actually feel the impact. It just folded under and laid there. Next morning, gone. We are seriously underpowered for these type of critters. With how strong their will to live and flee is coupled with how precise our shots have to be, don’t sweat it. It comes with the territory. You have done everything in your power, even your choice of slug to ensure the best outcome. Nice job. Keep after them.
Yes, I agree. That would be the logical answer as to what happened that night. It would be too scary to think something paranormal had happened there, lol. I am considering of getting a .25 calibre PCP for coyote hunts if these sort of "missed" shot happens again.

Thanks for the input, cheers.

Most likely the yote walked away with a bad headache. I never trust trail cams, or motion activated webcams to catch the action. False triggers, missed triggers and trigger delays all add up to disappointment. I assure I catch all the action I use a webcam that is recording all the time mounted a few feet from the bait area. The viewpoint is excellent, you won't miss the action and you don't need any additional IR lighting to turn on on you gun. I did have a death dancing coon knock over my tripod though. The webcam survived.

If you want to ensure they never walk off again. Don't follow the saying "one shot, one kill." Instead pump a few more pellets into the lungs while it is down to make sure it isn't going anywhere.
If it survives and dares to return to feed at this spot again, I will make sure it wouldn't have another life to spare. I thought about a couple of follow up shots to the head or lungs, but I decided not to due to the fact that it wasn't moving and that I was going to keep its skull to my collection.

Lesson learned I guess. Thanks for watching and offering your sound advice.

I have a .25 and .177. Thinking of getting a .22 but not much would be added. Those critters needing more than a .177 and 25 will do just as well or better than a .22. With modern .22 ammo and guns I there is a lot of overlap between the .22 and .25. I don't think you are under gunned at only 17 yard with the FPE you are pushing. A .25 would only be a little better. Just have to hit the brain and game over. A missed brain with a .25 isn't going to be any better. That's easier said than done given the yotes head movements. Coons are easier, their heads are movements are more predictable. If you are willing to get another gun to truly make it easier, get a .357, uses some hollow point slugs and go for a double lung shot. Yes it may run off 20 yards, but you have the open space to still recover the corpse. If PB are legal where you are use a 223 with varmint bullets and a double lung shot, it guts will be all over place.

Last edited:
I have a .25 and .177. Thinking of getting a .22 but not much would be added. Those critters needing more than a .177 and 25 will do just as well or better than a .22. With modern .22 ammo and guns I there is a lot of overlap between the .22 and .25. I don't think you are under gunned at only 17 yard with the FPE you are pushing. A .25 would only be a little better. Just have to hit the brain and game over. A missed brain with a .25 isn't going to be any better. That's easier said than done given the yotes head movements. Coons are easier, their heads are movements are more predictable. If you are willing to get another gun to truly make it easier, get a .357, uses some hollow point slugs and go for a double lung shot. Yes it may run off 20 yards, but you have the open space to still recover the corpse. If PB are legal where you are use a 223 with varmint bullets and a double lung shot, it guts will be all over place.

Yes, a .22 cal is capable as I have experienced before. But placement shot is the key to dropping these creature. I will definitely be ready to unload a few follow up shots moving forward. Thank you for the video link.