I drove 45 minutes to the indoor 100 yard range, but

I think air rifles would probably be safer than bullets. When that soft lead hit's that steel most of the time it just turns into a flat piece of lead and looses all of it's energy. I've been hit with .22lr ricochet's before and never by and air rifle, them .22 lr's can hurt. I wonder if they have had past experience with air rifles unless they were thinking bb guns.

@blackdiesel I have run into to this once or twice back in Virginia. I did a search for gun ranges within 50 miles of where I lived and called every single one of them to see if they allowed airguns. Out of 9 or 10 ranges, I think 3 said they didn't. Saves the hassle and frustration but I'm sure you already figured that out.

Sometimes, it is all about who you talk to or who is the range master at the time you visit. I had been a member at an indoor range for a couple of months and this one range master had a hair up his ass and said I couldn't shoot "bb guns" on his range. I was about to open a can of whoop ass on him but thought it better to keep calm (he did have a side arm on him after all) and explain how it was not a "bb gun", that it shot lead pellets at approximately the same velocity as a .22 rim fire, and most importantly, that was a member and had the manages approval to shoot my airguns on any of the 3 indoor ranges. The guy reluctantly let me in but gave me stink eye the whole time. Long story short, it turns out we eventually became friends after I challenged him to try and hit the bulls eye one day when there was nobody else on the range. That's all it took.

The take away is always call the range ahead of time to find out their policy. If they say no, call back the next day and odds are, the person answering the phone is different and may say sure no problem. Write down their name just in case and if anyone gives you guff, say you spoke with such-and-such and he said airguns were allowed.

We've been getting a lot of rain here lately right around the time I get off work So I decided to drive up for some long range shooting. I didn't even think of calling because surely if hi powered rifles were allowed to shoot there would be no problem shooting a "bb gun." I expected to get a few stink eyes but never thought I would not be allowed to shoot.

Diesel
Sorry to hear about that man. That was a strange excuse about the ricochet?

I went to a 40 yd indoor range this past weekend and shot my FX.
Called the guys at Bullseye Shooting Range here in Wilmington NC and asked ahead of time. They said no problems. http://www.bullzeyeshootingsports.com/

I'm not a fan of loud noises, so it was a little un-nerving trying to shoot my BB gun with all the big howitzers going off. They had a guy bring a 12 gauge shotgun in while I was there? They told him he couldn't shoot it ?

I dunno, the gun range is not my bag, now if I was rich and could afford to rent all 8 lanes for an hour, maybe it wouldn't be so bad? Yeah rent all 8 lanes and have peace and quiet ;-) They should give me a discount since they don't have any brass to sweep up ;-) LOL!