I don’t get scopes at all!!

so I’m having the hardest time figuring out a scope for my set up I wanna buy. The scope I have on my hatsan flash .22 doesn’t suck in much lighting and I been noticing I’m not a big fan of second focal plain. What’s a good scope for a mid to far shooter? What’s a good reticle set up? What’s a scope with good magnification? And how does first focal work?

Second JWR's videos. Excellent material. Just don't make the same mistake I did. Too much magnification on my second nice scope. First scope was about perfect at 4 - 14 FFP. Second was 8 - 24 FFP. I only use it up to maybe 16 then it's too much for me. I am a fan of FFP though, really like the consistency.

I also (This is personal) insist on either Mil reticle and Mil adjustments or MOA/MOA, but I won't mix the two. Really a pain to figure out.

In general the bigger objective lens the more light you get (that's the last number on a scope). So a x40 gives you less light than a x56. Larger lenses also means more weight. I don't know if the same hold for tub size or not, actually. The lower the magnification (first number) the more light you get, and this also true for zoom lenses (first two numbers), so a 4-12 has more light at 4x than at 12x. Magnification is part a personal preference and a function of what you want to do with your gun. Magnification amplifies perceived shake, it reduces your field of view, and the eye box gets smaller so you to be more careful with how you look through the scope. I use my rifle for pesting under 30 yrd, and like @Saltlake58 I never use more than ~16x. People that hunt may prefer lighter zoom scopes for mobility and flexibility, or heavier scope to get the most light at dawn or dusk, people that shoot benchrest may prefer high magnification scopes (say, 50x or 60x).

I hate FFP. Others may prefer them but being I like 3x9x40 & 3x12x44, I also have a 1.25x4x20 & for off hand I'm using lowest power.

They say 2ndFP Scopes are either true mils at 10x or highest power. Only way to tell as I still never read in any manual what mag is true. Put a yard stick in ground at 100 yards. Bench rest it and see what mag gives you 3.3"@100yrds center of dot to c-o-d.

I find 6x to be perfect for me. Now, I love my Hawke Airmax w/AMX ret. If I could buy 6 SWFA fixed 10x mil-quad Scopes, I would.

Everyone has their opinion and I happen to love first focal plane scopes. I never see myself buying another second focal plane scope. Don't see any reason to. A FFP scope doesn't have any drawbacks that bother me enough to deal with the disadvantages of a SFP scope. That's just me. I have plenty of both and as I get older, I just prefer FFP. It really depends on what you're using it for and what you like. I like to shoot at 6x, 10x, 14x , 24x and everything in between. If you're messing around with the magnification much, a first focal plane makes things a whole lot easier. FFP scopes are more expensive as a rule but you can get some pretty good ones for a fair price. For my air guns, I own a cheap Chinese FFP scope that's pretty much crap but I also own an Athlon Argos BTR which I love and also just bought a Vortex Diamondback Tactical scope that I think is going to be a winner. All FFP for under $200, $350 and $260 respectively. Weigh the advantages of the FFP or SFP and decide what you think will work best for you, there are tons of options out there. Stoti

After shooting longer ranges 100+ yards and then shooting back around 75 yards, the FFP keeps your holdover pts the same. With a SFP your holdover points change as you vary the magnification of the scope. So lower power scopes like 3-9 don't really see the benefit of FFP like a 6-24 or 8-34 does. Its a personal choice and what you want to do with your gun. For me I only use SFP in a fixed power application. I have gone almost exclusively to FFP due to zooming in out to 130 yards. If what I have said so far doesn't make sense, here is an example of why I don't use SFP on high power scopes anymore. 

10-50 Hawke sighted in at 80 yards on 20x. When I shoot a starling at 100 yards I needed 2 miles holdover on 20x. Zoom the scope into 50x and my holdover in the scope changes to 4 mils. So I had to "chase" the holdover if I didn't shoot the scope on the same magnification I sighted it in for. So why not sight it in at 50x? Well that high magnification is very hard to use on pesting let's say at 50 yards. So when you turn the power down to something you can find a bird in now your shooting high. Again chasing the holdpoints. 

Ive wasted money on cheap scopes. Don't do what I did. Watch Cyclops's videos. I had a hell of a time trying to figure out scopes too, until I started listening to his videos. Its true: a good simple $300 scope that is fixed power is better than cheap $200 scope that says that it can't do everything poorly. Watch his vids!

Yuuuup!

Bought a Leupold 3-9x33 (used) based on Joe Wayne Rhea's reviews. Love it! Have an Aztec 3-18x50 on order with a BroCock Sniper based on AOA's recommendation, but JWR had nothing but good things to say about that scope as well, so I'm hopeful.