AirMaks Arms I didn't mean to

Recently picked up a Krait and what a fantastic rifle. Got a chance to shoot some yesterday, accurate and not an air hog which both make me happy. Sooooo, what do I do but come home and tinker. Bad me.
Just wanted to switch the plenum guage to a digital one I had for fine tuning. Dumped my air and swapped it out. Then I notice the bottle guage was crooked and wanted to make it straight, bigger oring should work. Oops didn't work so put it back the way it was and air up. Now after trying 4 orings, couple different sizes and even trying the guage that I replaced it leaks soon as it gets to 50+ bar...
Local hardware store has a good assortment but are they the right type, (rubber compound?) I just don't know. Anyone have an idea or do I wait for U/A to open and order replacement one's.
Really like the Airmaks guns and would love to get this sorted
Thanks Greg

The factory gauge o-ring calls for 8.5x1.5 90NBR. The gauge block has grove for that o-ring to seal against the back side of the gauge using a thicker o-ring might not work as increase pressure will cost the o-ring to slip out of that grove which has already happened to you. You might want to try Bonded Dowty Seal washer under the gauze. Check out this video for some examples.

Reactions: ShadyBrady
I've always tried to buy a factory spare parts/oring kit before I gut a new gun,( except Turkish guns where the factory orings are sometimes poo poo) your braver than I sir. Don't believe oring compositions are all the same. Is it leaking around gauge?

I should saY SOME turk guns. Not all.
Yeah, leaks out around the oring

The factory gauge o-ring calls for 8.5x1.5 90NBR. The gauge block has grove for that o-ring to seal against the back side of the gauge using a thicker o-ring might not work as increase pressure will cost the o-ring to slip out of that grove which has already happened to you. You might want to try Bonded Dowty Seal washer under the gauze. Check out this video for some examples.

Saw this video and his on his Krait, haven't been able to locate some Dowty seals yet. Kinda the reason I even tried to do it, figured even a goof as myself couldn't mess it up. Wrong again!
But thanks for the heads-up

Put some teflon tape on the threads.
I'd personally NEVER use Teflon Tape.
Plumbers don't even use it ! I had one show me why. I've helped MANY friends figure out fuel (and oiling) problems with their cars, only to find scraps of Teflon tape where it should NOT be.
Never...in anything of mine, no matter how careful I may be

I put two gauges in my Krait, with no problem (or tape). One analog, one digital.

Mike

Reactions: greg1978
Why was the gauge corooked? Are the threads ok ? Is the hole machined correctly ?
Even if the o ring was out of place, why would the gauge be crooked?aN
It's orientation was sideways and I wanted to level it. Guage was installed correctly not cross threaded and worked perfectly before I messed with it. Going to pick up some new and proper o-rings and give it another whirl.

I'd personally NEVER use Teflon Tape.
Plumbers don't even use it ! I had one show me why. I've helped MANY friends figure out fuel (and oiling) problems with their cars, only to find scraps of Teflon tape where it should NOT be.
Never...in anything of mine, no matter how careful I may be

I put two gauges in my Krait, with no problem (or tape). One analog, one digital.

Mike
Well there’s no fuel or petroleum oil on any of my airguns. And I teflon tape most of my HPA connections on them. And it’s been exceedingly rare that I’ve ever had a leak on any of my 6 PCPs. To each their own, but I’ll keep using it.