I cast everything I shoot from all my airguns which are basically all 22 cal&up

When I got back into shooting airguns after retiring I basically use them for hunting only, however I still do my share of plinking when out in the woods, especially with one of the most fun guns that I've owned (AEA HP 25 cal Carbine). I only use pure lead for casting because it definitely works the best. Recently a friend who's a contractor removing lead pipes has left me 4 piles of pipe that'll last me for a very long time. I even have a split pig ingot that I bought from Rotometals that I haven't even opened up because of all the lead pipe that I've been making ingots with for casting pellets/slugs for my guns. I don't sell them because that would take all the fun out of it, I buy my molds from NOE and they do make a lot of different airgun molds. I've recently stocked up my supply of .22 wad cutters for some fun indoor shooting during the winter.

This is actually a recovered BBT 27.5 grain I shot a 30 yard chipmunk with from head to tail in the hide. I was using my modified Xisico Sentry which does very well with these slugs.

I also shoot slugs exclusively from my ATI Liberty (wood stock) that I got a great deal on back when ATI was selling parts guns for $100, the Liberty shoots these slugs extremely well sized to .215 diameter, my AEA 22 Challenger also shoots these at mach speeds with no sizing with phenomenal accuracy.

My vintage pistols are all fed with my cast wad cutters for indoor winter fun when the snow is too deep.

Needless to say there will never be a shortage of ammo for this old fart.

These are some ingots that I cast from the lead pipe that friend gave me (probably a total of 200lbs worth). I've still got a lot more ingot casting to do yet. I checked the hardness and it's 4BHN which is as good as it gets, also including ammo for my muzzle loaders.

I would LOVE to purchase some molds from NOE. But the molds I want are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS sold out! I called them one time and inquired why this was the case, and he told me that he cuts the molds in batches. And I'd have to just wait and watch. Well...... It's been a year, and the mold STILL isn't available. I check for it frequently. It's ANY of the RBT's in .253 caliber. They're just never available. And everyone buys or sells the RBT's in .250, but the drive bands on those slugs don't seal the grooves of the LW barrel. The groove diameter is .254, and a .250 slug leaves a .002" concentric gap around the circumference of the slug. The gap around the .253 slug would only be .0005", which is insignificant.

I would LOVE to purchase some molds from NOE. But the molds I want are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS sold out! I called them one time and inquired why this was the case, and he told me that he cuts the molds in batches. And I'd have to just wait and watch. Well...... It's been a year, and the mold STILL isn't available. I check for it frequently. It's ANY of the RBT's in .253 caliber. They're just never available. And everyone buys or sells the RBT's in .250, but the drive bands on those slugs don't seal the grooves of the LW barrel. The groove diameter is .254, and a .250 slug leaves a .002" concentric gap around the circumference of the slug. The gap around the .253 slug would only be .0005", which is insignificant.

NOE should put them in the queue if enough people want to buy. I suggest to go to the NOE forums and start a post on the ‘Group Buy’ section and post your interest, material, number of cavities. Then post that forum link here with the description of the mold. When theres about 5 or so people that show interest ( dont quote me on that number) the mold should be put into the rotation.

Wayne52,

Sounds very interesting. Wish I lived close and could learn more. When you first got started casting, did you have to go through several molds to get a pellet that your gun liked?

Thanks

Sleeper192

The very first mold that I bought from them was a total flop, since then all the airgun molds have been excellent. It wasn't long after that first mold they discontinued it immediately because everyone that had bought one got terrible results from the mold. When casting molds designed for powder burners you can plan on the slugs to be smaller in diameter because pure lead casts different than the wheelweight lead does.

You really have to keep an eye on their website because eventually they will make runs of them every now and then. One that I missed out on was the 218-25-RF when they first came out, evidently they sold VERY fast because I missed on the first run, about a year later they restocked them and luckily I got a notice before they were gone again, I ended up getting the exact mold I wanted.