I cant believe that I held this magnificent rifle in my own two hands!

A couple of days ago, i was visiting a friend to check out some of his springers when he took out a rifle case and layed it down in front of me. As soon as the cover was open and I caught my first glimpse, I knew exactly what I was looking at. "That's a Giffard!!!" He seemed surprised that I knew the rifle. Its a magnificent rifle, powered by carbonic gas ( dry ice was placed into the reservoir and as it went from solid to gas, it created the pressure which the gun uses to propel the round ball that the gun is intended to shoot.) These were produced from the late 1800s - the early 1700s. They were offered in 3 calibers, if I'm not mistaken, 4.5mm, 6mm and 8mm. Tom Gaylor examines one of these rifles in the Pyramid Air Blog

This particular rifle was still holding pressure. My friend said that he received it that way.

For a guy like me, the chance just to handle this wonderful piece of history was an experience that I'll never forget.
1000005828.jpg

1000005832.jpg

1000005833.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of days ago, i was visiting a friend to check out some of his springers when he took out a rifle case and layed it down in front of me. As soon as the cover was open and I caught my first glimpse, I knew exactly what I was looking at. "That's a Giffard!!!" He seemed surprised that I knew the rifle. Its a magnificent rifle, powered by carbonic gas ( dry ice was placed into the reservoir and as it went from solid to gas, it created the pressure which the gun uses to propel the round ball that the gun is intended to shoot. These were produced from the late 1800s - the early 1700s. They were offered in 3 calibers, if I'm not mistaken, 4.5mm, 6mm and 8mm. Tom Gaylor examines one of these rifles in the Pyramid Air Blog

This particular rifle was still holding pressure. My friend said that he received it that way.

For a guy like me, the chance just to handle this wonderful piece of history was an experience that I'll never forgView attachment 454758View attachment 454759View attachment 454760et.
Incidentally, these guns could produce upwards of 50 ft/lbs.

what a wonderful experience , thankyou for sharing . does the chamber get cold to hold , does one need a glove ? ?
and where did dry ice come from in those days ?

I was wondering the same thing. I have to use Google map to find dry ice today so where they get that in the 1800s?

Amazing piece of history that’s for sure.

On reading the title of your post, I thought no-one should get that excited by any airgun less than Giffard. Lo and behold!

In 65+ years of airgunning, owning and testing close to 1,000 airguns of all kinds, and authoring five airgun books, I've seen only three Giffards. NO airgun has MOVED me like just holding a Giffard. I've never shot one.

For what(ever) it's worth, attached is chapter titled It's A Gas, Man from Airgun Chronicles- Thirty Years Of Airgun Testing And Competition that mentions Giffards.

View attachment Its A Gas excerpt.pdf

I was wondering the same thing. I have to use Google map to find dry ice today so where they get that in the 1800s?

Amazing piece of history that’s for sure.
I just watched a video on the rifle. The gentleman said that the reservoir could be returned to the factory to be refilled with liquid CO2, So I have conflicting information.

Their first models were front pump pneumatic. I had one that was missing a few parts and I sold it. And I regret that. I could have made the parts in my shop. The pumpers were from the 1860's and are beautifully made.Beautiful checkered walnut stock and very nicely engraved. Even the butt plate and its screws were engraved. Can’t find pictures yet.
I’ve seen some without engraving but they pneumatics are all pretty rare.
The co2 are available frequently.

Their first models were front pump pneumatic. I had one that was missing a few parts and I sold it. And I regret that. I could have made the parts in my shop. The pumpers were from the 1860's and are beautifully made.Beautiful checkered walnut stock and very nicely engraved. Even the butt plate and its screws were engraved. Can’t find pictures yet.
I’ve seen some without engraving but they pneumatics are all pretty rare.
The co2 are available frequently.
First time that I've run across one in 61 years, 50 of which I've been involved in airguns.
I did read about the pneumatic predecessor. I'm certain that if it's anything like the CO2 one I was able to examine, it's very ornate and extremely well made.
I'd absolutely love to add one to the collection. However, I'm in the nickle and dime end of purchase power and that gun's on the $50s and $100s end...

A couple of days ago, i was visiting a friend to check out some of his springers when he took out a rifle case and layed it down in front of me. As soon as the cover was open and I caught my first glimpse, I knew exactly what I was looking at. "That's a Giffard!!!" He seemed surprised that I knew the rifle. Its a magnificent rifle, powered by carbonic gas ( dry ice was placed into the reservoir and as it went from solid to gas, it created the pressure which the gun uses to propel the round ball that the gun is intended to shoot.) These were produced from the late 1800s - the early 1700s. They were offered in 3 calibers, if I'm not mistaken, 4.5mm, 6mm and 8mm. Tom Gaylor examines one of these rifles in the Pyramid Air Blog

For a guy like me, the chance just to handle this wonderful piece of history was an experience that I'll never forget.View attachment 454758

View attachment 454759

View attachment 454760
Hello @razor62

WOW what a beautiful rifle :love:

ThomasT

Here is what I found on the history of dry ice.... Dry ice was first discovered by the French chemist Thilorier. He discovered dry ice when attempting to observe carbon dioxide in liquid form. Of course, now we know that carbon dioxide doesn’t have a liquid form because it sublimates. Thilorier opened the canister of carbon dioxide to make his observations and noticed that the only material inside was a solid dry ice block at the bottom. While he noted his findings in a journal, there wasn’t any immediate practical use for the substance.

Here is what I found on the history of dry ice.... Dry ice was first discovered by the French chemist Thilorier. He discovered dry ice when attempting to observe carbon dioxide in liquid form. Of course, now we know that carbon dioxide doesn’t have a liquid form because it sublimates. Thilorier opened the canister of carbon dioxide to make his observations and noticed that the only material inside was a solid dry ice block at the bottom. While he noted his findings in a journal, there wasn’t any immediate practical use for the substance.
Liquid carbon dioxide is a type of liquid which is formed from highly compressed and cooled gaseous carbon dioxide. It does not form under atmospheric conditions. It only exists when the pressure is above 75psi and the temperature is under 88.0 °F (temperature of critical point) and above −69.9 °F (temperature of triple point).

In other words dry ice turns liquid when contained in a pressure vessel under normal temperatures. Welding gas tanks are filled with liquid C02.

Last edited:

For a guy like me, the chance just to handle this wonderful piece of history was an experience that I'll never forget.View attachment 454758

View attachment 454759

View attachment 454760
I sure wonder why no one produces an Air rifle that looks like that...