FX I broke my newly acquired Wildcat MK3...please help (Updated - everything is good to go)

I was in the process to put back the CF bottle and all of a sudden it started hissing and would not seal. I took it off and on a couple of times today to set my regs and had no issues.

See pictures....what did I damage? Did I strip the threads around the nozzle or in the bottle?

What is the fix to this?

I was looking forward to enjoying today and tomorrow as we have not had good weather in a while but this completely put a wrench in my plans of tinkering and getting my gun set-up how I wanted.

Thanks for your help

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Last edited:
Your threads are history. You got silicone on them and that’s not good. You shouldn’t have to take your bottle off a whole bunch to play with that reg. It’s not as important as some would lead you to believe. Set it at 190b until you are all done tuning your gun. When you finally get your gun set to where you like it, then you can adjust the first reg 30 or so bar above your first reg. So in the end you only have to take the bottle off the minimal amount of times. You need to order some parts before you can play with the gun again.

It may be an artifact of the picture compression but the threads are flat and pitched, classic cross-threading.

Since these are not springers and the threads themselves are not in the airstream, people need to start using grease on the threads of these bottles. There are hundreds of high pressure greases that are synthetic.

M2 .jpg

Your threads are history. You got silicone on them and that’s not good. You shouldn’t have to take your bottle off a whole bunch to play with that reg. It’s not as important as some would lead you to believe. Set it at 190b until you are all done tuning your gun. When you finally get your gun set to where you like it, then you can adjust the first reg 30 or so bar above your first reg. So in the end you only have to take the bottle off the minimal amount of times. You need to order some parts before you can play with the gun again.
I made the mistake of using Super Lube O-ring lubricant and not silicone grease on the threads. Rookie mistake and now I am fu**** :mad:

It may be an artifact of the picture compression but the threads are flat and pitched, classic cross-threading.

Since these are not springers and the threads themselves are not in the airstream, people need to start using grease on the threads of these bottles. There are hundreds of high pressure greases that are synthetic.

View attachment 450683
Yea, I messed up and used Super Lube O-Ring silicone on the threads instead of silicone grease. I feel stupid as anything.

• Wow
Reactions: Firewalker
Yea, I messed up and used Super Lube O-Ring silicone on the threads instead of silicone grease. I feel stupid as anything.
Don't use anything with silicone on metal connections that are subject to high temperature or pressure. If anything, a good synthetic high pressure grease. I don't know how silicone became so widely accepted in air gun maintenance, maybe because it's good with rubber, plastics and O rings, but in low stress applications. Car window and door moldings for example.

Yea I messed up, I just want to get this fixed now. Dont know the tools and parts i need to get up and running so thats why I am here

Yea I messed up, I just want to get this fixed now. Dont know the tools and parts i need to get up and running so thats why I am here
Well you bought a FX, so you’re gonna have to learn how to work on a gun and the tools needed. I gave this advice long ago and I’m not a FX hater. I’m a FX realist. I currently have four of them. If you love shooting PCP’s and you feel you must own a FX, also have a Taipan, Edgun, or Kalibrgun. That way you always have something to shoot while your FX is down for the count.

What do I need to order from the following list and from where can I get these parts aside from classifieds?

View attachment 450717

Utah Air is your best bet. You need the threaded part on the gun as well, don't try to get by with 1/2 of the repair.

Utah Air is your best bet. You need the threaded part on the gun as well, don't try to get by with 1/2 of the repair.
Like several have stated above. NEVER use silicone grease for any metal to metal contact. I've read how many people think that Silicone is a good lubricant for all areas of airgun lubrication. Not true!!
It IS a great lubricant for metal, to most any plastic, rubber, and many composites. It's what you use for the leather seal, in the classic spring guns of the past. But only on the leather! Not the spring, or piston, or any hinge linkage points.
Hope the OP can locate a replacement threaded part for his rifle. 🤞

Well you bought a FX, so you’re gonna have to learn how to work on a gun and the tools needed. I gave this advice long ago and I’m not a FX hater. I’m a FX realist. I currently have four of them. If you love shooting PCP’s and you feel you must own a FX, also have a Taipan, Edgun, or Kalibrgun. That way you always have something to shoot while your FX is down for the count.
I am comfortable working on things. I just want to know the tools needed and with guidance i am confident i will get this resolved. Plus the parts I need to fix my mishap

Reactions: scottblair
Like several have stated above. NEVER use silicone grease for any metal to metal contact. I've read how many people think that Silicone is a good lubricant for all areas of airgun lubrication. Not true!!
It IS a great lubricant for metal, to most any plastic, rubber, and many composites. It's what you use for the leather seal, in the classic spring guns of the past. But only on the leather! Not the spring, or piston, or any hinge linkage points.
Hope the OP can locate a replacement threaded part for his rifle. 🤞
Yes, lesson learned

Reactions: scottblair