HW/Weihrauch I blame you ...mostly

I been down a so called "rabbit hole" due largely to this group and the need to carry on about weihrauch, and in particular the hw30. What seems like more posts about this rifle here than any other in the traditional/spring category. Watched numerous youtube reviews, read more on AoA, PA, etc. Came across 1 that caught my eye. 4 panel checkering with no grooves, the deluxe model with walnut stained beech wood, and the older stock design in right handed configuration.
1000001921.jpg
I bought it 2nd hand advertised as purchased from AoA in 2000, and stored but never so much as cracked the barrel or shot even once. Came with original box, papers, and sight inserts all intact. Among the paper was a cert from AoA that it was tested for 20 rds. At 20 yards. Upon receiving the rifle today, I believe all of this.
Someone asked on here recently if getting a rifle tested means they will clean the barrel.
1000001917.jpg
I would sat no, this is the first patch, and I needed a dozen more to see a clean 1.

Initial impressions were excellent. Fit, finish of components, weight/balance, quality of bluing, and feel of checkering in hand.

Things I liked. The sights, with interchangeable front inserts, and rear notch pattern are brilliant. Quite frankly I am surprised this isn't mentioned more often.

The trigger, nice feel of both stages right out of the box. I did adjust it about a half turn in to really get it feeling right for me.
1000001918.jpg

The feel and placement of the safety are excellent, and intuitive after a few shots.

The cocking stroke and shot cycle are both easy and smooth (no twang)...much more than I had anticipated even after all the reading done here. Zero dieseling from the first shot I believe confirms the testing was done, and it was cleared out during the 20 shots at AoA.

The fps numbers not being inflated by the manufacturer was nice too. After testing 3 different pellets, and about 60 shots messing with sights, and trigger adjustment, I ran some chrony numbers. Excite 7.4g wadcutters for 5 shots between 673, and 681 for an overall spread of 8 fps. Fpe around 7.6.

Accuracy, once pellets selected (not pellet picky, but these were the best), and sights Dialed in. Offhand at 10 m.
20240405_131310.jpg

Things that were less desirable.

Unlike most stuff I have where when the safety is engaged, you pull and hit a wall to realize you left it on. This with the safety on the trigger still travels, but does not have 2 stages, and doesn't fire. So the first time it happened I stayed on target as the trigger moved but nothing happened...not a huge deal.

The adjustments on the sights. Elevation is marked in a number sequence and easy to know which way to turn. Windage has no markings, unlike most rifles which indicate right or left with an arrow to inform which direction for correction on target. Again not big complaint.

There is a chance I paid too much given that it is 2nd hand. Given the condition, the stock styling, overall quality, and enjoyment of shooting I would pay it again.

I did not need this rifle, but am glad I have it. I shall leave credit or blame in your hands for the lack of money in my wallet today.

Last edited:
Well they do say you get what you pay for ..lol ( and sometimes less)

In my opinion your in good shape and got something worth your money in a hw .. new or used .. money paid is just a personal opinion per individual..lol. Only you know or feel if it was worth it or not to you ..

Anyway looking good so enjoy..

I have always thought : it does not matter what the object ,or what the price you paid , IF it makes you happy it is a good deal period .
Good logic. I got swivels and a sling coming. Probably not needed with a gun this weight, but I like having my hands free hiking etc. At 7.6 fpe, no reason this thing shouldn't get a walk in the woods now and then.

Last edited:
Congrats. I have two R7/hw30s in .177 and shoot them often. They are good hunters inside of 25 yards too. BTW, if I understood your numbers correctly, your gun is shooting at about 7.6fpe, which is very solid for the hw30.
R
You are correct on the fpe, I belive I used 7xx instead 6xx when I ran the calculator.

Reactions: .20calguy
I'm so glad you're happy with the rifle. I'm a huge proponent of them. I don't know what you paid for the rifle but it will give you hours of enjoyment and you'll have something leaving to a heir. They say no time fishing is wasted. Likewise no money spent on a Hw30/R7 is wasted.
Just under new money, with an older style stock I much prefer, and in brand new condition. I have no complaints.

Reactions: .20calguy
Have a pair myself although badged as Beeman R7's. Don't regret for a split second buying them. Got an older one in .20 cal as an anniversary present from the girlfriend and liked it so much, I bought a gently used .177 from a fellow member of another forum to keep it company.
Easy to shoot and forgot how many pellets I've put through them, more accurate than I can shoot them some days and easily take care of small pests out to 25ish yards when one wanders into my crosshairs.
Not the only ones I own but every one of them is a definite keeper :)

I been down a so called "rabbit hole" due largely to this group and the need to carry on about weihrauch, and in particular the hw30. What seems like more posts about this rifle here than any other in the traditional/spring category. Watched numerous youtube reviews, read more on AoA, PA, etc. Came across 1 that caught my eye. 4 panel checkering with no grooves, the deluxe model with walnut stained beech wood, and the older stock design in right handed configuration.
View attachment 452617I bought it 2nd hand advertised as purchased from AoA in 2000, and stored but never so much as cracked the barrel or shot even once. Came with original box, papers, and sight inserts all intact. Among the paper was a cert from AoA that it was tested for 20 rds. At 20 yards. Upon receiving the rifle today, I believe all of this.
Someone asked on here recently if getting a rifle tested means they will clean the barrel.
View attachment 452621I would sat no, this is the first patch, and I needed a dozen more to see a clean 1.

Initial impressions were excellent. Fit, finish of components, weight/balance, quality of bluing, and feel of checkering in hand.

Things I liked. The sights, with interchangeable front inserts, and rear notch pattern are brilliant. Quite frankly I am surprised this isn't mentioned more often.

The trigger, nice feel of both stages right out of the box. I did adjust it about a half turn in to really get it feeling right for me.
View attachment 452629
The feel and placement of the safety are excellent, and intuitive after a few shots.

The cocking stroke and shot cycle are both easy and smooth (no twang)...much more than I had anticipated even after all the reading done here. Zero dieseling from the first shot I believe confirms the testing was done, and it was cleared out during the 20 shots at AoA.

The fps numbers not being inflated by the manufacturer was nice too. After testing 3 different pellets, and about 60 shots messing with sights, and trigger adjustment, I ran some chrony numbers. Excite 7.4g wadcutters for 5 shots between 673, and 681 for an overall spread of 8 fps. Fpe around 7.6.

Accuracy, once pellets selected (not pellet picky, but these were the best), and sights Dialed in. Offhand at 10 m.View attachment 452639
Things that were less desirable.

Unlike most stuff I have where when the safety is engaged, you pull and hit a wall to realize you left it on. This with the safety on the trigger still travels, but does not have 2 stages, and doesn't fire. So the first time it happened I stayed on target as the trigger moved but nothing happened...not a huge deal.

The adjustments on the sights. Elevation is marked in a number sequence and easy to know which way to turn. Windage has no markings, unlike most rifles which indicate right or left with an arrow to inform which direction for correction on target. Again not big complaint.

There is a chance I paid too much given that it is 2nd hand. Given the condition, the stock styling, overall quality, and enjoyment of shooting I would pay it again.

I did not need this rifle, but am glad I have it. I shall leave credit or blame in your hands for the lack of money in my wallet today.
God damnit. I just got a hw97k and I am addicted to this thing. Much more of a challenge to shoot than a pcp and I like it. Now I want a hw30 too to shoot with iron sights. Or maybe the hw50 limited edition coming soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hold_Over
God damnit. I just got a hw97k and I am addicted to this thing. Much more of a challenge to shoot than a pcp and I like it. Now I want a hw30 too to shoot with iron sights. Or maybe the hw50 limited edition coming soon.
The hw30 is not going to be as challenging to shoot. The recoil is super light, and makes very little noise by comparison to most. Half my running it over the chrony was convincing myself everything is working like it should because of that.