I Am PUMPED For The Upcoming Hunting Season!!

Something just dawned on me that might be the key. All of my FFP scopes were 24x. A 12x FFP might keep the reticle from going microscopic when you only turn it down 6X to hunt with. Hmmm……
@Vetmx I think you’re on to something. 3-12x and 4-14x are the magnification ranges I like for close to mide-range hunting. Unusually keep it on 5x while glassing and waking. I shoot between 4-5x mostly.

SFP scopes are nice for the reticle size, but I don’t like having to range the target and think about the holds after the animal moves. It also takes too long to obtain a good shot. I’ve made a couple of bad shots like that and I’m not comfortable with it.

@L.Leon Thanks. They’ve been all happy and hopping around carefree. These youngins don’t even know what’s coming.
A couple or three years ago I might have invited you to my back yard... now...

iu

Some will get it and some won't... (chuckle)

Not the best day but I bagged this pair. These two were the only ones I had a clear shot on. Both fell and died with the first shot. One head shot, one body shot. The headshot dropped him stone dead. I mean feet curled up in the air and landed on his back. My goal was three, but I spent about as much time lost as I did hunting. Oh well tomorrow will be better I suppose.
46CB3D26-F69B-463E-9C47-6C17E5A78CA8.jpeg

Head shot this boar through the jaw/sinus cavity while cutting in tree above me.
66E497B7-6A58-4A9F-9A09-15BD9C875C3D.jpeg

And out through the other side of head just above the ear. The shot angle permitted this and resulted in a kill shot.
6E847972-DEA6-4E9D-B660-62473435DD31.jpeg

This was a body shot on the other boar with no exit wound.
5F87DDFB-E4C5-47CF-BE1F-FBF3533970FD.jpeg

Edit: i did find an exit wound on the boar that I shot through the body. The pellet went through the rib cage and then through its spine breaking it pretty clean. The pellet exited through the top of its back. There was no blood from the exit would. The entry would started leaking blood as soon as I applied a little pressure while gripping the body in order to skin the carcass. The lungs looked like jelly. I must have either nicked a lung or maybe some bone fragments punctured one or both. It had a couple of broken ribs too. I caught him in the canopy after jumping from one tree to the next. When he paused to get his footing I let the lead fly and dropped him. That was a long and hard fall. They were pretty high up.

I’m still running last year’s set up, .25 EDgun Lelya 2.0 topped with a Vector Veyron 3-12x44 FFP, non-IR compact scope shooting JSB kings 26.39 grain. I’m waiting on some different mounts to arrive to run my new scope. I have a couple of things I want to do different this year with this gun. I really just put a touch of air in it, shot two mags to get my zero together from 20 and 30 yards, and hit the woods.

Some views from the woods.
ECE2367A-BDC4-45A2-A89B-7F98CAC34CA1.jpeg

0746E815-1EB9-4980-87F7-357ED429DBFF.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice job, and I'll attest nuthin' wrong with a pair.
@SteveV I said that because I heard plenty of them. Heard them in the yard while I was waiting for the sun to come up in order to check my zero.

As soon as I hit the woods I heard several eating in the timber. I wasn’t in good position for 2-3 and another one was too far. I had one in my sites while it was cutting some acorns and couldn’t get a bead on anything but half of it’s rump and a tail. Didn’t want to wound it. Tried walking around the tree and lost it.

I returned to Pa last night for our archery opener. Zeroed my Zbroia and had to try to decide on a pellet. The wind kept picking up as the night wore on so it was difficult. Planned to bow hunt till 10 or so then grab my gun for squirrels. Got up this morning, stepped outside then went back to bed. Putting it nicely, the weather here is yucky. Its all good though. With an average 4mph wind I wasn’t happy with my 30 yard zero or which pellet to use. I did learn that the wind messes with a Polymag more than a Hades. Looks like the weather in Texas was great.

@Vetmx Weather was great! It was about 48F when I started and I was starting to sweat by the time I came back Probably around 70-72F. I don’t hunt with polymags. I may have used em on a rabbit once or twice because it was the first ring I could get my hands on when I spotted the rabbit. What in particular do you like about them and Hades? What’s up with the weather? Is it wet out there?

I guess we are getting fragged by the hurricane that beat up Florida and the east coast. Poly’s are devastating if your gun will shoot them. If you aren’t shooting over 50, I prefer them over slugs. I shot squirrel with Hades out of my one .25 last year and with all shots being under 50, I recovered all the squirrels. Unlike my .25 shooting slugs. I don’t kid myself when it comes to most pellets at pellet speeds when it comes to expansion. The dimples on the Hades aren’t going to turn it into a magic grenade over its JSB domed brother. I just shoot them because I bought them off a fellow member who wanted to rid himself of them. The Poly’s are a different animal.

@Vetmx I was thinking Hades at higher speeds are likely to expand when it strikes bone, particularly a skull. I’ve heard people tout polymags, I’m to the point that for small game, domed diabolo pellets have been stopping them sufficiently. I may try polymags on a larger animal at some point, so far rabbits have been the only ones to catch those. I prefer diabolos because I like the challenge of maintaining good shot placement in hunting scenarios.

Last edited:
@Vetmx I may try hunting with Hades next since I already gave the polymags a shot. I’m kinda interested in how much expansion I could get penetrating an animal’s skull. Other than that I don’t see the point of shooting them when I can easily kill 200 animals from a single tin of domed pellets. And that still leaves some for misses, zeroing, and a little target practice. I mean I have them, but I bought them in .25 for larger animals. I want to hit an armadillo with a slug. I didn’t like how these 25.39 grained domed pellets performed on them last time I ran into some. That was embarrassing. The good news is that I was told they didn’t return to burrow around that structure again.

@rappert Thanks.