I Am PUMPED For The Upcoming Hunting Season!!

Got my license and saw that I have an eastern turkey tag this year!! We didn’t have a turkey season last year. I’m ready for deer season. Harvesting two should yield enough meat to last me most of the year. I’m thinking of trying my hand at turkey hunting this year, but I may not be equipped to because airbolts don’t fall under “legal archery equipment” in Texas. It sucks that my county isn’t having a season again this year. That means I may have travel to find permission to hunt private land in unfamiliar areas, hunt public land, or to go out of state. The parcels I have access to are in areas still not open to eastern turkey. With all of the predators I’ve seen, heard, and heard about in various counties I don’t know where turkeys are thriving.

Then squirrel season begins in a week! I can’t wait! Seeing the posts of other members and talking to other local hunters has me feeling like a kid on the night before Christmas. I intend to obtain permission and scout a few more parcels land in other areas. If work doesn’t keep me wiped out, this ought to be a fun season despite all the industrial activity in the region. I’m excited!
Has anyone in Texas obtained a printed hard-copy of Outdoor Annual this year for 2022-2023?

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon
I also grabbed a new FFP scope with an illuminated MOA reticle and single piece mount to swap out with my Vector Veyron scope atop my edgun Lelya 2.0. This should help get a bead on the learned squirrels in my local woods. I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of this scope to get it mounted and zeroed so I can take it in the woods.

Reactions: SteveV
I was talking to a client about one of my deer hunting rigs and when he saw a picture his eyes got big and he got excited. I showed him my airbolt setup that I’m trying to figure out. I showed it to my father today and he said, “boy you’ve got some hobbies. You need to get out there. I’ve been seeing them at xxxxx spot. That gun looks like the same thing I was trying to get you for your birthday but couldn’t find one.”

After these conversations it feels good knowing that some the older hunters I’ve spoken with (the older guys between 70s-90s) are impressed with some of the current airgun technology. Some of them have never seen big bore airguns or airbolts. I’m talking Benjamin Bulldogs and Airforce Texans. I feel like I get to be one of the ones to change the tone and try different things for my generation. Maybe the children and teenagers will view us the way we looked up to the adults we hunted under as children. I gotta say that’s a helluva a feeling going another direction in hunting and gaining the respect of respected hunters and admiration of younger hunters. To me in hunting respect comes with the bag and the experience one can communicate. I have got a feeling that this will be a memorable season. At least I’m hoping it is. I’ve only recently found one other airgunner in the area. Hopefully we can connect when our schedules allow it. As the season openers come closer I’m getting more anxious.

Last edited:
@BackStop Thank you Kerry. I need to get out there. Even if the bag sucks (which I’m sure it won’t the first couple of weeks), I just need to be out there. The weather is great and it’s just time to be back out there. I’ve been waiting for the season to start.
Yes, the weather here is JUST starting to get dry and cool enough for my liking! (Fans in windows instead of running the A/C)

Not to mention my utility bill!!! (smile)

I can always put on more clothes if it is cold, but hot and humid means I have to run the A/C and THAT costs more than ever because of the current regime. (heavy sigh)

Best of luck to you!

Been at my camp for 4 days. Should be hunting deer, sorry no air bolts for me, but I’m having fun hunting the edges of my place for squirrel. This was from last evening. They were in a super tall white oak on a hillside. Not sure if the slugs killed them or the fall. They were so far up there that I was worried that I was undergunned.

790AA21F-BF38-4146-81E4-AF9EC9AD4B39.jpeg

Been at my camp for 4 days. Should be hunting deer, sorry no air bolts for me, but I’m having fun hunting the edges of my place for squirrel. This was from last evening. They were in a super tall white oak on a hillside. Not sure if the slugs killed them or the fall. They were so far up there that I was worried that I was undergunned.

View attachment 293141
I've seen tree rats fall from as much as ~70 feet up and run away VERY MUCH alive!

So... YES, the slugs killed them! (grin)

Nice shooting!

@Vetmx My Brockcock Bantam Sniper HR .25 can handle it I’m sure. But with my little woods walkers I’m not confident shooting up past 25-30 yards and that’s with me at the base of the tree, at least not with a Prod. I’ll take a longer (higher up) shots with my Lelya. I will soon find out what’s what though.

I have a new scope, a FFP Primary Arms 4-14x44 scope w/MOA reticleI want to try out. It’s a bit heavy but I many try it on my Lelya just for the IR.

I hope you have better luck with a FFP scope in the woods than I did. I jumped on the FFP bandwagon years ago and all was good in the fields and the range. But when I headed to the woods where I spend most of my time on 6X, it was game over with that tiny reticle. Sold them all except the one on my RTI. It may find its way back onto one of my field hunting powder burners when I find something intriguing to replace it with. I was also very pleased with the Element on my Compact but once I entered the woods I found out just how tight the eye box is. The woods and fast moving hunting situations really expose the weaknesses in equipment.