I am pleased with the red dot for distance pistol shooting

I'm new to red dot sights myself but I've been using a Burris Fastfire 3 on my 2240 and I really like it. Mostly for 25 yrds and under.The sight is very compact. That's the main reason I bought it. I can't say it's superior to your sight since I've never tried that model.
1623729802390-1342089125.1623729841.jpg

The Ultradots are hard to beat in a tube-type dot sight. I have 2 or 3 of them (various models). I'm also partial to my Leupold Gilmore sight, so it's usually mounted on something very special. Never seen another Leupold Gilmore sight; or even heard of another, for that matter!

Walther CP3M.1623731571.JPG

Kite and trophy.1623731629.JPG

The little reflex sights are neat. I just mounted a Vortex on the firs Crosman pump pistol I ever assembled into a custom today-

1322 custom.1623732124.jpg

Here's my Holosun sighted AP16. The dot is crisp/sharp, even with my crappy eyesight, 50,000 hr's of run time, Solar cells as a backup to the battery. Will go to sleep on its own, and wake up when handled. This one has an aluminum housing, but they have a Titanium housing in a coupla models. I have one on my P229 Sig Sauer. Not that I have plans on dropping the gun, but this (aluminum body) sight will stand up to being dropped from shoulder height, directly onto the sight. The thin housing sights (like the Burris), you will be buying a new sight.

Yea, it costs more, but it's also a one time buy, almost no matter what happens to it. The guarantee is also right up there with the best of'em.

Ataman, AP16, .177.1623735505.JPG

Mike

I checked out the Holosuns online, and they look nice Mike. Thankfully due to the ammo and loading supplies shortage I'm not shooting Steel Challenge lately, so was able to requisition a Vortex dot sight from one of my competition rimfires. After installing it on my new Compact barrel/shroud set-up last night, even at the lowest intensity the dot was an indistinct glowing blob (at night by spotlight). But as hoped, today it was a much more distinct, (almost) round dot. I could even go to the next higher intensity without it becoming a glowing blob.

The full-length AP set-up is sweet for 50 yard shooting with a high-mag pistol scope; but the Compact set-up with the little dot sight is nice (and more practical) for most other applications and offhand shooting.

AP16 red dot 25.1623900480.jpg

AP16 50 yards.1623900618.jpg

I enjoy red dots for closer in shooting (25 yards and less) but pushing them out to 100 yards - I think I'd prefer some magnification at that point.

I've tried Vortex, Trijicon and Holosun. If you have any astigmatism and the red dots starburst on you I'd go for the Holosun - that's the one I use the most. The Trijicon RM09 Type 2 is great for precision shooting as it has a pinpoint 1 MOA dot, but it starts to starburst on me if I turn up the birghtness.

I think the Ultradots have been produced in three tube diameters, DL; at least 2 diameters. The I" Ultradots are about the same size and weight as your Millett.

I agree with CTS that dot sights are not the right sight for long-range shooting, however it can be done... well! After sighting in my red-dot equipped .222/12 gauge Valmet combination gun at 50 yards with a .222 hand-load I had high hopes for, I decided to shoot a group at 100 yards to confirm the actual trajectory agrees with the chart I'd printed from an online trajectory calculator. As stated in Custom, Classic and Otherwise AWESOME AIR PISTOLS!, I chose a target with a large enough black circle to give a good sight-picture (center the red-dot quite nicely in the black circle). Thankfully lighting conditions worked for me this time; not always the case with dot sights.

After shooting the three-shot group, I pondered what result I'd be happy with as I walked to check the target. Decided a 2" or smaller group would be fine, and centered within 1-2" of my ideal point of impact (.70" high at 100 yards). To say I was pleasantly surprised at what I found would be a SUPREME under-statement! Suffice to say it can be done. Also suffice to say I decided that an opportune time to end the accuracy testing!

Valmet at 100.1624213714.jpg

Valmet 412.1624214456.jpg

BTW, when sighted in .70" high at 100 yards, the .222 hand-load shoots to within .70" of point-of-aim from 25 to 180 yards in the Valmet, virtually eliminating any need for hold-over/under with the dot sight. BTW, whether loaded with a Brenneke slug or 00 buck-shot, the 12 gauge barrel handles anything inside 25 yards... quite handily!

Here's the chapter alluded to above-

download.png
View attachment AP SIghts pdf.1624214703.pdf

The Trijicon MRO is even better than the Holosun for people with eye problems.

I have more than one of each brand, in both red and green dots. In my searching for a crisp dot, while not inexpensive, the Trijicon MRO is at the top of my list right now for a crisp, round dot.

Mike

if you want super crisp dot you might want to look into the 1x prism scopes. It completely solves the astigmatism problems.