I Am An Idiot. New Shooters- Learn From Me (Long read - bring a beer)

You are in good company. I have learned to buy the best you can afford. First PCP was a Marauder. It was the best I could afford at the time. Still have the gun, learned much from it, but it doesn't get shot much anymore. The next gun was an Impact. Never looked back to the less expensive guns after that. Was tempted by several guns that got excellent reviews, but saved and bought, another Impact. While thinking about another gun, I now realize that I have too much capability in the 2 Impacts I have. It'll take me a long time to really learn both of them, and get the most out of them. Now, I'll spend (waste) my $$ with accessories like the bag rider, new bags, etc, etc.

Buy the best you can, don't look back.

I guess I had beginners luck getting into pcp's. Tried to get a mid-range model and just couldn't make it happen for someone else dropping the ball. So, I got the nicest one I wanted. And a good scope as well. I've bought several more pcp's since. And none have come close to the original purchase.

I have a lot of guns. But the first pcp rifle pretty much shoots its self. Skill or practice barely play into the equation with this gun. It doesn't care how I hold it (or don't) either. Tuning is a big help, however. 

Tom the last line yanked a good few chuckles out of me. I think many of us can relate to the enthusiasm of a new found hobby we enjoy. It’s definitely easy to get caught up in the fray when you’re online and see posts and videos and people boasting on their new toys and what they can do with them. It makes you wanna try them all like a pubescent teen in a brothel. Means and personality type defiantly come into play, but ultimately I think the thing that draws one into a hobby greatly dictates their approach and engagement.

For me tearing down a rifle in attempt to perform minor modifications and botching a few things kept me busy long enough to prevent myself from getting carried away with buying more of the guns I thought I wanted. In the process I learned that rifle fairly well. Then I made some other purchases and realized that I’d have to spend more on accessories to dress them to my liking and I’d have to take the same kind of time with each platform and learn them in order to be proficient. I’m still working on the proficiency part. There are a few guys I’ve watched and/or been in touch with that set the bar that I’m working towards, We reach this point at different times and via different routes and it seems like you’ve arrived a similar place. That enthusiastic youth still lives within some of us and wants to play with the next new and greatest thing - an ode to splendid marketing and social media. I don’t think it’s a bad thing. In fact I think that’s the very thing many of us relate to.

Like you said, you worked hard towards the end of your career, why not treat yourself? I definitely understand you warning the new members. It’s easy to get carried away with those desires. And I don’t think you’re an idiot, not unless the addiction cost you your marriage or something crazy. 

wOW THAT WAS A NICE READ, I have been in it a little longer than most of Y'all , Couple shots of whiskey no beer for me,,, I have downed my guns down to six, All top tier guns, I now find the hunt for the perfect target, The old washer or a nut, Marbles are the old stand by, Old spoons bent over a wire, spent shot gun shells , Old frying pans the wife gets rid of, Just about any flat bottle filled with sand or dirt ,,,, OLD rail road ties make a perfect back stop

If you like to shoot a lot and your back yard is 50 yards or less, The 177 caliber is KING, Bigger is not always better,,,,

Mike, 

Tom, you sell really nice low mileage guns in the classifieds, now don’t go starting to hang on to all your new guns lol.

I'm feeling a little better with myself. Sold a nice RAW to an AGN buddy (although we've actually never met) which he wanted for his son. I got it at a good price before most of the current market craziness and price hikes hit, so I was able to sell it to him at a friendly price.

So even though I wasn't even thinking of selling it, I now have one gun less in the 'collection.'

But now I've got money in the bank and although 2 used guns are still incoming (delivery tomorrow maybe?), I'm still thinking about what next new toy to buy. D'Oh!

Show some control, Tom.