I Am An Idiot. New Shooters- Learn From Me (Long read - bring a beer)

This morning I was out on my back yard range shooting 3 (yes 3) new guns which I received in the last week. After scoping them up, zeroing and chrono testing them yesterday on my short range, I was shooting them for the first time out to the 52 yards I have available in my yard. And I have 2 more used guns in transit, arriving this week or next.

I was happy with the new guns as I was shooting them well. And that is when it dawned on me:

I am an idiot. Don’t be like me. Save yourself a lot of money and hassle.

I got into air guns seriously in July of 2020 during the COVID lockdowns, as a hobby to maintain my sanity and which I could do safely in my back yard. I have spent an Imperial poope-ton of money on air guns since that time, and have lost a Metric poope-ton of money selling off guns which I had purchased, but “just didn’t work for me.” And along with the money loss is all of the hassle factor of photographing the gun I’m putting up for sale, creating the listing for the classifieds and ultimately trying to box it up properly & protected, and ship it safely to the purchaser.

There is an old saying: “Beware the man with one gun.” It is so true. That individual knows their one gun inside and out. What it can do. What it can’t do. And how to make it do what it can’t do. No one has to beware of me. I have more air guns than anyone really has a right to. Fortunately I worked very hard before I retired. I have an adequate nest egg. But I won’t if I keep spending money on air guns. Yet I am always looking at the AGN Member Classifieds, and various dealers to see what new or used guns might be available which I 'need'. Is it a sickness? Likely. And so unnecessary.

I guess that I may be like an addict chasing the high. Always looking for a magic gun which would maybe make me look like a better shooter than I really was. To an extent it was also ‘retail therapy’ – scoring a new gun during the cr@p COVID lockdown periods was fun. And then it became the thrill of the hunt. Air guns became nearly unobtanium. Prices were going up while supply seemed to get lower and lower. Check the sites daily, or multiple times a day. "Hey – they have one in stock." Maybe not the exact model/caliber/color I originally wanted. But buy it NOW because it will be gone in an hour…

Well, there is no magic air gun. Some guns may seem to shoot a little better for you, while with others you may not be able to hit the side of a barn. There is no substitute for practice and experience. And that is something which you just can’t buy.

The 3 guns I was shooting this morning were of the format (short, light, bullpup) which just didn’t work for me previously. But this morning in calm conditions I was pretty easily shooting repeated 5 shot dimers at 52 yards. So satisfying. And I am such an idiot.

So now that I’ve tried to totally degrade myself, what can one learn from me?

- Buy the best air gun you can afford. Buy once, cry once. Get a good gun with inherent accuracy potential built in. It is easier and less expensive to find this today as we are truly blessed with an incredible selection of excellent air guns available to us (at least when they are in stock).

- Buy a reasonable optic for it. I’m old and my eyes never were that great. So I normally choose something which has a reasonably high magnification range (like up to 20 or 24x). Get something which is bright and clear, with a reasonably forgiving eye box so that you will be comfortable using it a lot. Others may disagree but I have never felt the need (for hobby shooting) to spend more than maybe $400 on a scope. A lot of scopes I own originally cost more than that, but I buy them used.

- Buy or borrow a chronograph, and learn basic tuning skills for your gun. Find out what weight, style and brand of projectile it likes (is consistent with). Perform a basic tune for accuracy. Don't get hung up on max power.

- Arrange a nice shooting area for yourself – a reasonably steady table/bench, adjustable if possible so that you can get comfortable (there is nothing like having a sore back or shoulders after every shooting session because you could not achieve a comfortable position when shooting your gun). And either a nice bipod/rear bag, front & rear bag or a rest (I’ve found the Caldwell Stinger to be a good and reasonable choice, and some friends who I have gotten into air gunning have bought their own after using mine).

- Shoot that gun until you are absolutely sick and tired of shooting it. Then shoot it some more. Then repeat the process all over again, with the same gun.

- Don’t purchase your next air gun for at least 6 months. 12 months is even better. And that is with regular shooting practice. Like at least 3-5 or more shooting sessions per week.

There is no substitute for practice and experience. I said that earlier, and it merits saying again. We’ve all heard it before, and some have actually believed it and lived by it. It is the truth.

I am a significantly better shooter than I have ever been. I’m not a competitor (well, maybe for fun with my friends, since they have been shooting air guns for a shorter time than I have and I can still beat them). I am not a hunter. I do some satisfying pesting work at my local range, attempting to decrease the population of ground squirrels who are trying to destroy our safety berms. I shoot for hobby and fun. I am certain that I still have bad shooting habits. Maybe I’ve practiced my way through some of them, or maybe I have just learned to better compensate for them. I shoot almost daily, even if for just a short session. I have good days, but other times I come in wondering why I just can’t shoot anymore.

Shooting well is hard. If it was easy, anyone could do it. But it is not. It is challenging and takes lots of work to improve. And then when we seem to be improving, the challenge continues as we have to address varying environmental conditions, shrinking target sizes or we want continually tighter groups. The challenge is why we love to shoot air guns, and is what keeps bringing us back to the shooting bench. And it should never be any other way, or it gets boring and we leave to do something else which challenges us.

Don’t get me wrong – I love my air guns and I have been able to put together a broad personal collection. I am incredibly fortunate. I’m not leaving air gunning as it continues to be a challenge to me, and I am starting to see myself overcome at least some of those challenges through practice. I will continue to sell air guns which I just don’t find myself shooting all that much, or which don’t otherwise fit my ‘needs’. But I am now finding that gun types which ‘I could never shoot well’ are shooting fine for me. The guns didn’t change, but I have grown as a shooter and that is the reason why I can now shoot these guns better than I could before.

I have always, in all of my hobbies, wanted to have specific tools for specific jobs. That may be a good thing, or it may be a way to help me justify my spending addiction. I think it is a good thing if practical for you. But just don't start off that way. Learn your one gun completely because only then you can make an educated choice as to which style/type/caliber of next niche gun you 'need'.

So learn from my experiences and save yourself the frustration, the hassle, and the excessive spending that I have gone through. Get yourself a good gun, learn it inside and out, backwards and forwards, and practice, practice, practice with it. Do yourself a huge favor and be that ‘man (or woman) with one gun.’

My name is Tom, and I am addicted to buying air guns. Please help me out if you can. If I happen to contact you about an air gun you have listed in the AGN Member Classifieds, tell me that it is already sold! ;)

@TMH...
1611162831896.1632778001.jpg

Reactions: davelarson
Hey TMH, I have this one time great deal! One in 10,000 but you can have it this week. Only jesting, I always look forward to your 2 center worth of whatever you are serving at the time.

I learned a " few days" ago that just because you can hsve it at this moment doesn't make it the right thing to do over and over. It sure would be FUN to be in your neighborhood but being in MD is only a tiny bit better than CA. 

KC

Hi Tom , Thanks for sharing .

For some cheap fun , drill holes in a piece of lumber and stick "Dum Dums" lollipops in for a blast . Then the sticks if you can .

I don't know whether you are kidding or not, but my first favorite reactive targets were Charms Mini Pops, and we still shoot them to this day (only now out at 50-75 yards instead of 25).

I don't know how many folks I have hooked on air guns by shooting these. Little do they initially know that the pop when you hit the candy is almost exactly the same sound as when you hit a ground squirrel square in the noggin'. And yes, we give them 3 candies for free. Then they need to cut the stick before they can move onto the next candy. And they are just incredulous when they can cut that little white stick.

We've moved on to appetizer or cocktail toothpicks on our target array. Same challenge - you can hit the big target but then you have to cut the stick off before moving onto the next one. Here is an example target array:

IMG_1843.1632781652.JPG

And here is a little video I made during AGN's "Candy Crush" challenge month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlbPmAWSjw

I don't mind shooting paper at all, but a lot of folks grow tired of that and love the reactive targets.

TMH, my name is Gerry. I'm an airgunaholic & I'd like to share. I put up a similar post about 6 or 7 mos. ago ("To the Newbies, not so Newbies & others"). I agree with much of what you said, especially about optics. I kept seeing posts about new guys spending zillions on top tier equipment & then thinking something was wrong with their gun when they couldn't shoot it as accurately as videos they'd seen. It AIN'T THE GUN, IT'S THE SHOOTER!!! Top tier stuff is definitely the bomb but if one hasn't developed good shooting skills & practiced til they're sick to death of it, top tier doesn't matter. I'm really glad I started with entry level stuff & worked & worked til I could get the best out of it. I gradually, over a period of a couple or 3 years, worked my way up in quality guns. My finances wouldn't allow me to buy at the rate you did but I'm really happy with the way I progressed and the equipment I had to learn on. It made me a pretty proficient shootist & I feel like I learned and earned my way to where I am now. There's nothing like the fit, feel & accuracy of really fine guns but without putting in the time to learn & train it could be all for nought. There AIN'T NO SHORTCUTS to getting GOOD! Regardless of equipment. Hope y'all stay safe & sane out there! 

Gerry 

P.S. here in So Cal we have the BEST reactive targets. They're called Ground Squirrels & they have a lovely POP!

Tom, great post! When I read it, it seemed as if I was reading my own bio…..LOL! I did exactly what you recommended last year and purchased my bucket list PCP that I knew to be the one I wanted and have shot it pretty much daily to get to understand and know it and learn about myself (mostly my blaring inconsistencies) because it is inherently built to shoot so accurately that when I miss I KNOW it was me! I am down to 2 now and one is my main low power pesting rig (Prod). I still chase accuracy on a daily basis and have one that shoots pellets and slugs like a dream but now I am just enjoying just that and I smile after each shot taken hit or miss. Great post.

In three years I have shot a crap ton of pellet through my Bantam, almost to the point of boredom. But because of that I'm consistently floored by what I can do with it. I know the trajectory of the JSB Exact Jumbo 18s and Crosman Premier 14.3s from 20 yards out to 102 yards. Yes the gun groups, but consistent first round hits at different distances rules for me. Through lots, lots of shooting my confidence level is high when using my Bantam Sniper HR. Rats and small critters sub 70 yards don't stand a chance if I can get a shot at them. It going to take a heck of a PCP to displace my Bantam from it number one spot. Hundreds of rats would vouch for it if they could.

Yes ,A person can have too many guns,not good enough scopes ,be a poor shot and still think the next one is the last one.

Not just air guns, same thing happens in all Hobbies,check out the audiophiles or guitar gathers....$$$$

The wishing and wanting takes away from the shooting and doing....yes I know.

who said pick the one you want to grow with, kinda like a marriage,no wonder I am not married..

Yes ,A person can have too many guns,not good enough scopes ,be a poor shot and still think the next one is the last one.

Not just air guns, same thing happens in all Hobbies,check out the audiophiles or guitar gathers....$$$$

The wishing and wanting takes away from the shooting and doing....yes I know.

who said pick the one you want to grow with, kinda like a marriage,no wonder I am not married..

Yup, I think back to my dirt bike riding days. Put me on a high dollar custom bike totally set up for me, and Jimmy Lewis or Ricky Carmichael could handily beat me while riding a Vespa. Yes they had some natural talent, but mostly they put in the hours, days and years of work to get to where they got.

Thank God I can safely practice shooting my airgun and get better at it - my old and beat up body doesn't take to riding the dirt trails so well any more.

I do agree it is a sickness and last year, I went nuts and bought 4 guns within 6 months, all tier one. One was left the Taipan and I made the decision to let it go to get an Uragan Compact. (Ad in classifieds coming). I do plan to buy another gun, the Prophet Compact, couldn’t pass a deal on an Uragan. A 22 cal for near term will do me better than the .25 cal Taipan.

Highs and lows of owning and rebuilding lives around it. (Me now) so I heed your advice @TMH, sort of 😁

I learned my lesson with powder burners. Other than carried arms, many just sit in the safe. So definitely looking to avoid same issue with PCPs. Takes time to learn and know any tool. We are fortunate that there are so many sweet PCPs out there. There is literally an embarrassment of riches in the choices to be had. I'm definitely in for life, as I love shooting.