• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hypothetically speaking... How much would you pay?

Say that you and your wife both have a full time job and a part time job (because you live in one of the most expensive states in the nation). You have a newborn baby that requires almost constant attention, a house that won't clean itself, meals that can't be missed, a wife that must be kept happy, a yard that if left unattended will turn into a ravenous forest, a "honey-do" list that gets longer by the day, and you haven't shot a single pellet in months!

How much would you pay a nanny or babysitter just to sling a little lead?

Sincerely,

An overworked, under-payed, slightly overwhelmed first time father

I would be willing to pay maybe $50 for a few hours of shooting peace and quiet. As you are finding out, life changes ALOT with children. I have a 5 and 3 year old and get the official word in a couple weeks about our 3rd. It is a challenge, but we decided to wait till we were where we wanted to be in life so that my wife could quit working and stay home to raise the kids. I can't image both mommy and daddy working and trying to get anything done!! I give you props for managing such a busy life!!

Having young children throws life extremely out of balance. As my kids are now starting college, I would not trade them for the world but early on it was difficult!!!! It doesn't get any easier but it is truly rewarding. It will be a constant struggle to balance God, Work, Family, and Personal time. Most young parents feel guilty about taking time for themselves however, it is vital for your health to spend time in all four areas.That means taking time for yourself. If you don't take time for yourself (granted it will be limited) you may soon resent them, your wife, or be become bittter. 
My wife and I love being with our children (now we have to chase them down) but we took the time to go out together several times a month. Sometimes we dropped them off at the sitters and just stayed at home so we could talk and eat dinner (while it was still hot). I did spend 1-2 hours a week on my hobbies. It is not being selfish to have some time for yourself. So find a person you can trust and take the necessary time to rejuvenate yourself. My children loved spending time with the sitter. When my son just started talking he would get excited and started saying the sitter's name when we got near her home. 
So Michael……. higher the sitter and take time for yourself (within reason of course) and go out and shoot for a hour or two each week. You will find you have more energy and patience for your family and work! It will be worth even penny you will pay!
Best regards,

Doc

I'm in a similar boat, here it is at 4AM my time zone. I'm on bathroom detail with my invalid mother. not on any sort of schedule. I try to salvage bits and pieces. I have an 18 yard range in the backyard. There I'll play in the afternoon, time and proper conditions I try to hit my buddies farm in the early morn, or late in the day. The best is a sub three hour window, door to door. They are very infrequent now. You were pretty active with vids and posting before the daughters arrival. Speaking from a lot of experience, anything you can do for a brief head cleansing is priceless. I'm in my twelve year, make some time for yourself.

ahh, children...... We are currently toward the end of their total domination. My kids are 3 & 5 and getting ready to start pre-school, it will be nice to have a couple of hours a day that we will be able to get back to some time for ourselves. My advice to you would be take the time you need, but also make sure that your wife gets some time for herself, and time for you and wife together. Just remember that if the time is not there for yourself now, it will be soon. Enjoy your child and wife, remember that you both made the decision to bring another into this world, and that little one will not be small forever, just ask Doc (NMshooter).

Free time without children is priceless, if you can find someone that you both trust then take the time (we pay about $10 an hour but have spent a lot of time finding trustworthy sources).

My only advice to you would be that time goes by really fast...... no really fast, slow down and enjoy your family. If you don't get to get out as much as you would like now, just know that it is really a short period where you sacrifice. Soon you will have another partner that you can share hobbies with.

good luck
Cally88

NM shooter is right on target but I would also add that with your skill sets you may be able to move to a State where only one of you would have to work a full time job. You could have more free time for yourself and your family. I have lived and traveled to a lot of places and I would not ever strap myself in such a way that i was forced to live like that. Here in Arizona the cost of living is pretty inexpensive your dollar goes far in housing food etc. I have a 4 and 7 year old wife stays at home time for hobbies and family large custom home plenty of yard...75 yds backyard range etc all on less than 100k a year.

When my kids were young my wife stayed home and I worked my butt off making enough income for the family this meant side jobs at times for Xmas and birthdays I also eventually had a job with a lot of OT. When the kids got to school age my wife cleaned houses while they were in school. Later when they were in high school my wife joined the work force full time. Every family has to set their own priorities. I now have grandchildren and see my kids facing these same decisions good luck with what you decide. As far as how much it is worth don't skimp the person watching your kids is very important person in my book they have control of the most important thing in your life.

Mike

Michael I know you are not at this stage yet, but when the time comes when your newborn becomes near a year old then I heard from my sister that sending them to a daycare is a Godsend to them! They were at first worried and sad that maybe they wouldn't be able to spend as much time as they want with them by sending them there but, head my words, a daycare will help out a bunch!!! 

Michael :)

14 years ago my wife and I had to make a discussion on whether or not she should continue to work after our first was born. So we went with her saying home with the kids until recently.
For my it ment bsa instead of steyr but it also ment alot of free time for myself, and my kids didn't have to be raised by daycare.

I know this really didn't answer your question so I will say maybe step back and look at what is really important first.

Know this, two kids is twice as hard, three is eight times as hard, any more is just a logistical nightmare unless you get one of those short busses.
Paul