• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hydro testing. What really is it and is it needed?

Talking about cf tank. I believe they require 5 year testing and 15 year life. Now prymaid.air have said these tanks are strong enoght to last 30 years and putting old tanks past 15 years back in service. I own a ace care 6.8L tank so hydro testing is not available since it is not DOT. My tank its going near its 5 years now. What is hydro test. Isnt that just filling the tank with air and dumping it in water to see if it expand? Or do they actually do something and make the tank stronger, example like adding more cf wrap to strengthen it or use some coating to make it super stronger. If all they do is just test to see if it still strong to hold pressure and doesn't even strengthen it with anything, then a tank that is treated like a baby should last 15 years easily without a hydro test? So question is, do I toss my cf tank away cause it's past hydro testing or keep it till its 15 year life. I bought my tank brand new about 4 years ago. Have no issues with it. No cracks, no leak, nothing. Shame to toss away only after 5 year use.

Reactions: RAMJET66
Think of it as an inspection of your equipment so that the people who fill it for you know it is safe for them to do so. They don't know anything about you or your equipment. This is an objective way for you to demonstrate that it is safe to fill. You other option would be to fill it at home with your own compressor. Then you can decide just how much you trust that tank and fill system.

Think of it as an inspection of your equipment so that the people who fill it for you know it is safe for them to do so. They don't know anything about you or your equipment. This is an objective way for you to demonstrate that it is safe to fill. You other option would be to fill it at home with your own compressor. Then you can decide just how much you trust that tank and fill system.
I have my own compressor. That's why I bought the ace care tank. They are not DOT, so no shop will even fill it or hydro test it. Those great white tanks are nice but that are like 3 times the price of 1 ace care. I can fill my own tank, that isn't the problem. What I'm asking is, are these tanks safe to use if they can't be hydro test? Is hydro test a must if you are the only owner and know you taken care of your tank like a baby. I know lots of folks using ace care tanks, anyone using it past its hydro test? Or do ppl just toss away after hydro test expires.

I see. I won't wade too far in here, as I don't have any tanks. I used to work in a facility where we hydrotested stuff all day every day, so I get excited. I am sure people use them beyond the hydro date if they have a way to fill them. They won't magically become bad at the 5 year mark if you don't test it. On the other hand, there is no way to know for sure that some defect or damage unseen to the eye might be making that tank unsafe without some sort of test.
There was a discussion over at GTA some time ago. Seems people like the tanks:

Correct.

The tank is "over filled" a specific amount, and held for three to five minutes (depending on the tank). During this wait period, the cylinder is placed into a tank of water to check for existing leaks, AND...to help contain any major..."leak" that may occur.
I've seen industrial tanks checked for their inspection.

As to why...
The normal fill guy / the tank itself, has no clue as to the handling of the tank in question. No one wants the tank...expiring...in their face !
1. May have been dropped.
2. May have been hit by a sharp, semi-sharp object.
3. May have been over pressured at one point and the structural integrity was compromised.

There's also a discussion in this site about the flex tube. I'd imagine it's defiantly got a finite lifetime also. I'll be calling the place where I bought my equipment to aske today.

Mike