• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hydro testing tank

Th My tank will need to be hydro tested before next fill. Should I remove the valve beforehand or is that something that is included with the testing. anks for the replies. I found a local dive shop that charges $75.00 for a hydro test. I’ll have to check with them to see what that includes.

No do not remove your valve, they need that to test/pressurize your tank, most hydro shops will also check your valve and rebuild it if needed... Also bad tank practice to leave it open to contamination....

I find that there is wide variation in hydro test shops. Most dive shops send the tanks out for hydro and charge for that convenient service. If you can find the hydro shop tanks are brought too, probably get a hydro for a lot le$$, might even be closer to you...

75$ seems expensive. Use to use Gorham in Mass, they charged $20 some years ago. My buddy that still lives in NE use them now and said its $45 now.

Here in FL my last hydro in 2020 was 39.95$ including fill and new valve orings plus a few extra new K-valve orings hung nicely on the tank valve cover strap...

Just saying, a few phone call$ might save you enough to get a few tins of pellets or slugs...

Had mine done at local fire safety shop for $25. Dropped it off with valve in. When I picked it up valve was off. They said it had to be properly torqued to put it on but didn’t know torque spec and didn’t do that anyway. Wouldn’t fill it either.. I couldn’t find any kind of torque spec so just screwed it as tight as it would go and had it filled at air gun shop. No problems..

Thanks for the replies. I found a local dive shop that charges $75.00 for a hydro test. I’ll have to check with them to see what that includes.

I think I paid about 65 a couple of years ago at a local cylinder testing firm. At the time I thought that was high, but they seem to be the only business in town that does it, all the dive shops, etc. just send their tanks to them. So...your $75 may be the norm but certainly do some shopping.

Echoing the above. Bring the tank in as is & DON'T pay $75 if you can help it. That's a RIP! The going rate here is $28-$35. See if you can find a Fire Protection equipment co. nearby & get a price from them.

Thanks for the info to help expand my search. I located a company called trusted fire in Barrington N.H. Found information on their website. Waiting for a response on price. My last fill was by a paintball store that recently opened up only two miles away. They charged me $15.00 for a fill. I thought that was high. Next options are two dive shops about 45 min. away for 10.00 a fill. What’s everyone else paying for a fill.

Hi All,

All cylinder requalifiers are registered with the DOT (big surprise).

If you poke around this site:

https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/pressure-vessels-approvals/cylinder-requalifiers

for cylinder requalification you can find out who really does the work in your area.

I was very surprised to find out the dive shop I use (that has been in the same family for at least 3 generations) is a registered requalifier! I will not mention the cost but I would have thought it was 1980 based on the number including the fills.

Good luck, shop around,

Nugria

ps. Local fills: $5

Reactions: Gear_Junkie
Hi All,

All cylinder requalifiers are registered with the DOT (big surprise).

If you poke around this site:

https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/pressure-vessels-approvals/cylinder-requalifiers

for cylinder requalification you can find out who really does the work in your area.

I was very surprised to find out the dive shop I use (that has been in the same family for at least 3 generations) is a registered requalifier! I will not mention the cost but I would have thought it was 1980 based on the number including the fills.

Good luck, shop around,

Nugria

ps. Local fills: $5

That link is helpful, thanks!