Hydro dip recommendations

Have you seen the vinyl skins ?
Many, many patterns to choose from. Many different companies to search their pattern list. I buy the "large or extra large sheets", so I can fit it to the gun they way that I want.
A couple of mine.

1663310252185.jpeg

1663310278646.jpeg

Mike

Last edited:
@TigOleBityz This place in Illinois. May be worth calling to see if they do airgun stocks. I don’t see why they wouldn’t. Prices posted on the site. https://coveringinfinity.com/project/hydro-dipped-rifles/

To find a more localized service try looking up “hydrographics service near me.” I found several in the nearest metro region that way.

Interesting. How do those vinyls hold up? How hard are they to get on and look nice? I got a fx crown
Being that it's a plastic cover, it will hold up much better than the hydro-dip. Normal nicks, dings (sliding off a tree onto the ground), don't damage the vinyl surface. It takes a pretty good whack, or sharp edge to do any visible damage to the surface. Even then, it's much less damage than it would be to dipped coatings.
While it's, for the most part not too difficult to put on, you do need a reasonably good heat gun. Both to "set" the vinyl and to help stretch it around corners. The more difficult areas are tight corners. But the heat gun goes a long way in helping get that done. A razor for trimming and cutting, and a squeegee to push the vinyl solidly onto the stocks surface

It can also be pealed off, with a little effort...if you want to change the pattern or just remove it. Some brands leave a residue, some don't. The residue is easily removed with an alcohol soaked rag, and some rubbing. I just pealed one a week or so back to put a different pattern on.

Mike

@MikeVV awesome I have a nice heat gun and time lol I’ll look into it. Any idea on how much you need for just a stock?
Just do a quick top to bottom and front to rear measurement, there you are. Then add four or five inches to the top to bottom measurement, and two or three inches to the front to rear measurement for safety reasons.
ALWAYS...better to have a few inches too much than 1/4" too short !
And as you push the material into cracks and pockets, this will "shorten" the overall dimension of the material in that direction.

In any case, depending on your choice of pattern, many times you can "patch" in a piece of vinyl, and it becomes almost invisible. Only you...know that it's there. Especially the "camo" patterns, it's easy to add a patch somewhere. If you are careful about the "patch" piece, you can pick and choose the patch to more closely match the vinyl that's already there. And after a couple of weeks, even you will forget it's there. This is from experience !

Just go into the work as you are "simply" covering the stock with a piece of plastic. NOT...like you are doing a very detailed cover that means the world to someone. Don't get stressed. That's one good thing, so it costs a second piece of material,,, It's an easy peal and toss the old material, NOTHING has been damaged by not getting the material laid down perfectly.

And, plan for about two to three times the hours that you "think"...it will take.

If you decide to take this on, send me a photo of the stock, and I'll give you some hints from my experiences. The easy places, the little more difficult, and the more difficult locations. Holes like thumb holes are the most difficult to do. But again, just go slowly, and don't get frustrated.

The best thing is, when you are done...fact is...YOU...did the work ! You didn't pay some guy down the street to do it. That's gratification.
One more thing to add to...your...knowledge base to work from in the future.

Mike

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Sounds good! My crown does have a thumb hole been watching a couple videos on it so assuming that and the front of the stock will be a nice challenge. Definitely keep ya posted and send ya a picture when I get to it! Picking a camo pattern out right now so probably be a week or two. When doing the thumb hole area I just use more heat to stretch it there and fit good? Thanks for the advice and insight I definitely appreciate it!