• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hydraulic fluid in air for pcps?

Hey AGN,

I have been wondering?? How big of a deal is having what smells like hydraulic fluid in your pcp airgun and your scuba tank. I’ve been filling using a knock off yong heng and think I’m getting some blow by or something. The air smells strongly of hydraulic fluid and I can even hear a slight moisture sounds while filling off the bottle. Any in sight/ how bad is this ? Also I am using an air dryer on the high pressure side that takes the cotton filters. It just doesn’t seem to be working all that well.

It's very little if any even got pass the filter. But the oil smell is common. I have both a yong heng and a hatsan lighting and they both stink of oil after like 20 mins of run time. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you are, just get another filter add to your output hose. I run 3 small cotton filter, the same ones that comes with the yong heng. And then last filter is the gold big filter with dry beads inside. I open my gold filter every 6 months and inside the beads are dry and show no color change. They are blue beads and turn pink when wet.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I have had pretty good luck with my knock off (non-branded) compressor so far, but I do wish I had gotten the one with auto shut off. The current one leaves me running back and fourth checking the manometer on my air tank constantly.

Also, I probably should have mentioned that I am using the tuxton gold water/oil separator and have it mounted vertically. I also have the small gold filter attached that comes with the compressor as a first stage and the tuxton as the second and final stage. When I take the top cap off and run my finger around the threads of the tuxton I get visible moisture on it so I know I need to do something different. 

I just ordered a name brand (lol) yong heng and an all in one two stage separator with a charcoal filter element and plan on using the tuxton as a 3rd stage filter. I am going to keep the knock off as a back up. This may seem extreme but I want to make 100% sure I am getting dry and clean air for my pulsar HP.

I am also going to switch to the royal purple compressor oil as suggests by Glem.chally.

thanks again for the input. Will up date soon.

In every single Yong Heng related thread I've ever been a part of, 
I Can Not Stress Enough That I Highly Recommend Royal Purple 100% Synthetic Compressor Lube! 
There's a reason that I / we keep recommending the stuff. Glad more people are catching on.

Better lube = less friction. Less friction = less heat. Less heat = less potential moisture production.
Also, the lower you can keep the running temp of the comp the better. That's why I always use ice..

I just happened to top off my 88cf CF HPA tank last night from about 175bar to 300bar, 
and shot a quick / crappy cell phone video of the last 2.5 min of the fill.. 
I barely had any moisture on the 1st purge.. Then on the 2nd/last purge, there was none.

https://youtu.be/B8Yoc1qP4Ko

😊👍

Sam -