HW's LOP?? pic for HELP PLEASE

Well...now that I’ve finally read your actual original question, LOL, my LOP (which I was taught to measure from the inside crook of the elbow to the center of trigger finger front pad) is right at 14 inches. So read my ramblings above in that light!

Again though, I would mention that the slightly unusual grip-to-trigger relationship of HW rifles, and the difference between trigger position at first and second stage of the pull, should be considered. IMHO these make the “functional” LOP of their guns a bit shorter than what you see when putting ruler to gun.

Well...now that I’ve finally read your actual original question, LOL, my LOP (which I was taught to measure from the inside crook of the elbow to the center of trigger finger front pad) is right at 14 inches. So read my ramblings above in that light!

Again though, I would mention that the slightly unusual grip-to-trigger relationship of HW rifles, and the difference between trigger position at first and second stage of the pull, should be considered. IMHO these make the “functional” LOP of their guns a bit shorter than what you see when putting ruler to gun.

I completely understand that last paragraph. I had a stock crossman storm xt in .177 caliber for years. It never felt just quite right. So I sanded down the right hand side of the stock between the palm area and the trigger. Its was sanded so much that it was very noticeable. It helped some but until I took a full 1 inch off the butt area and then resanded the butt pad to match that I finally got it perfect for me. So now u see why I am so curious to know about the HW's before laying down $500+ dollars for a air gun i might have to cut on 😜

A while back I posted a pic showing a spacer and adjustable butt I added to my R7, partly because I believed the LOP was too short and partly because I liked the adjustability. LOP became a contested issue with some pulling out their tape measures and others stating categorically that all little guns had short LOP's. I'm going to wade in one last time with a picture that may explain the issue. The tape measure guys were right, LOP's are similar between many models BUT, the position of my hand relative to my face is what I was aware of and what I was changing with the addition of a larger butt pad and spacer. I have big hands and can reach any trigger comfortably. The pistol grip, not the trigger, determines WHERE I put my hand on a stock. With the little R7, my hand is closer to my face and my wrist position is more horizontal than it is with my HW97, making my arm feel uncomfortably long and the LOP perceived as being too short.

1576299650_20475376275df46c82385276.56323160_IMG_1272.JPG

A while back I posted a pic showing a spacer and adjustable butt I added to my R7, partly because I believed the LOP was too short and partly because I liked the adjustability. LOP became a contested issue with some pulling out their tape measures and others stating categorically that all little guns had short LOP's. I'm going to wade in one last time with a picture that may explain the issue. The tape measure guys were right, LOP's are similar between many models BUT, the position of my hand relative to my face is what I was aware of and what I was changing with the addition of a larger butt pad and spacer. I have big hands and can reach any trigger comfortably. The pistol grip, not the trigger, determines WHERE I put my hand on a stock. With the little R7, my hand is closer to my face and my wrist position is more horizontal than it is with my HW97, making my arm feel uncomfortably long and the LOP perceived as being too short.

1576299650_20475376275df46c82385276.56323160_IMG_1272.JPG

Yes sir, that was how I felt when I put the unmodified storm stock up to my shoulder. The palm grip area on the stock was more horizontal and leaning away from the trigger. Opposite of what a thumb hole stock would be like. I always felt like I was "reaching" for the trigger. I guess alot depends on how large and at what angle the palm area is on a stock and not always directly linked to the LOP. 

So I guess that begs the question: What type of pistol grip palm area does the 97 have as opposed to say a 50s??

Thanks

Ray