HW's front/rear sight options

For those that shoot factory open HW open sights, what configuration do you use?

For example, I was blessed a lollipop front sight post from a member which I'm truly appreciative. I wanted to know which of the 4 rear sight options are you using with the lollipop post?
As of now I use the sloping rectangle (I think it's sloping) with the U shaped rear sight notch.

Thanks in advance

There should be a turret with 4 notches on your rear sight
A square metal riveted on " sub blade thing " with a wide and narrow square notch anf a V and U notch . You gently with 2 fingers pull and turn it to what notch you want to use.

rear.png

Reactions: fishing43
It's odd to me that HW has apparently never changed their repertoire of front sight inserts...I believe you get the same six today that you would've gotten in the Nixon administration! One odd thing is that the posts stop short of the center of the front opening. Which is perfect for a "6 o'clock" hold on a 10-meter target, but I find a little distracting for general shooting.

1FE87E56-1E2C-452C-8CB7-B80185B6BD4C.jpeg

If you are so inclined, an old Anschutz front sight will fit HW's front rails just fine. An amazing variety of both factory and aftermarket inserts is made for those.

F9BB1FA4-CBE7-4681-9424-7CF7DCDD8F1C.jpeg

B5E8D5EF-7417-4314-A1BF-53956DC69565.jpeg

Last edited:
The post hight is in line/ matched with the rear used.. i could use a higher one or lower one but the rear elevation adjustment would be throwed off at certin ranges or cant adjust to.. you may run out of clicks so to say cause the front post is too high or low .

Also with the hw the 4 way notch using any one post the elevation changes with any one notch used .. i found that interesting on my first.. so say i use the lolly in the u notch and on yarget then seap to say the skinny rectangle post it will be higher poi ( if im recalling right , fuzzy brain ya know)...

The lolly used on a round bulls with 6 oclock have ld think like you got a quarter as your bulls and a dime under it as the lolly stright under it then just slightly move the dime and see how fast your off center or like pool balls any slight off dead center of the cue makes you target ball go left or right..

Then to add for a easy example with a true 6 oclock hold your poi is above the aim point so if shooting a 1" bulls at 10m my poi is 1/2" high to hit dead center of the bulls. You never obscure what you want to hit

Last edited:
The "4-in-1" rear sight is an awesome idea!

But being a helplessly compulsive airgun history / trivia nerd, I am forced to add that it's not a new idea: Diana has been making their sights that way for, oh, about 70 years now...🙂

View attachment 293151

Except for on my 52L, which uses a completely different rear than the one you posted and that's on my Model 34. Mike, you always have the coolest old sights. Thanks for posting.

Except for on my 52L, which uses a completely different rear than the one you posted and that's on my Model 34. Mike, you always have the coolest old sights. Thanks for posting.
Thanks - very interesting. I confess to being pretty ignorant of any Diana made after the early 1980's!

I did have a 48 when they were new (almost 30 years ago), I wanna say it did have the 4-notch rear sight but wouldn't bet my life on it.

Thanks - very interesting. I confess to being pretty ignorant of any Diana made after the early 1980's!

I did have a 48 when they were new (almost 30 years ago), I wanna say it did have the 4-notch rear sight but wouldn't bet my life on it.
I think most Diana’s do, but not this one. The sight looks to be factory but of course things are different on this gun. Probably only one guy that knows. Might have to send him a pic.

I don't use any of them. I use the fixed "economy" style globe sight and a tech sight.. The fixed cheapo front sight came on my AoA $299 special, base Hw95. I find it's slim tapered post works best for me. Not too small or too broad at the tip.

20220924_155235.jpg

It also looks more size appropriate on my Hw30s and 50 It's more comfortable because it has no sharp edges from the inserts or lock rings to loosen. Sometimes less is more. Oh that reminds me it's noticeably lighter too.

Attachments

• 20210804_101107_resize_76.jpg
    20210804_101107_resize_76.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It's odd to me that HW has apparently never changed their repertoire of front sight inserts...I believe you get the same six today that you would've gotten in the Nixon administration! One odd thing is that the posts stop short of the center of the front opening. Which is perfect for a "6 o'clock" hold on a 10-meter target, but I find a little distracting for general shooting.

View attachment 293212

If you are so inclined, an old Anschutz front sight will fit HW's front rails just fine. An amazing variety of both factory and aftermarket inserts is made for those.

View attachment 293213

View attachment 293216
Thanks for the tip! Ordered a set yesterday.