• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
I have an HW30S in .177 and love to plink with it. It's also a favorite of my adult kids and wife. Years ago I had an HW97K in .177 that I could hit black eye Susans 6 out of 10 times at 75-78 yards with. My wife got sick and it had to go. :cry:
Last summer I was again in the market and decided to go with the TX200 in .177. On a bag with 8.44 gr I can hit the cap on a water bottle about 5 out of 10 at 50-55 yards.
I do a fair amount if pesting from 20 - 60 yards and use PCPs in .22. We almost always seem to have some wind or at least a breeze. For sometime now I have wanted to use a springer for pesting but have found the TX200 to be too cumbersome to load quickly. This brings me to the HW98. I live in a rual area and have no real chance of shouldering one before buying but I know a good looking gun when I see one. I have .177 because the fps is generally in the 'sweet spot' for most pellets I'd hunt with. I've never shot the equivalent springer in .22 and was hoping some of you could help me out on the caliber choice. I figured that neither caliber would have much advantage when encountering leaves and such but what I'm unclear about is trajectory issues, shooting in-between limbs and swirling wind.
Thx for the help!

I have an HW30S in .177 and love to plink with it. It's also a favorite of my adult kids and wife. Years ago I had an HW97K in .177 that I could hit black eye Susans 6 out of 10 times at 75-78 yards with. My wife got sick and it had to go. :cry:
Last summer I was again in the market and decided to go with the TX200 in .177. On a bag with 8.44 gr I can hit the cap on a water bottle about 5 out of 10 at 50-55 yards.
I do a fair amount if pesting from 20 - 60 yards and use PCPs in .22. We almost always seem to have some wind or at least a breeze. For sometime now I have wanted to use a springer for pesting but have found the TX200 to be too cumbersome to load quickly. This brings me to the HW98. I live in a rual area and have no real chance of shouldering one before buying but I know a good looking gun when I see one. I have .177 because the fps is generally in the 'sweet spot' for most pellets I'd hunt with. I've never shot the equivalent springer in .22 and was hoping some of you could help me out on the caliber choice. I figured that neither caliber would have much advantage when encountering leaves and such but what I'm unclear about is trajectory issues, shooting in-between limbs and swirling wind.
Thx for the help!
.20 if they're available. They shoot pretty flat with good power and accuracy.

Reactions: kd7rsrrze1
.20 if they're available. They shoot pretty flat with good power and accuracy.
I agree .20 if you can find one. My .20 cal 98 is tuned and shoots the jsb 13.73 right at 16fpe. It is a great rifle, I put a cs stock on it and moved the 98 stock to my 95 which is a .22, same powerplant as the 98. I like the .22 better than the .177 just for a smoother shot cycle, although I do not hunt just shoot paper and cans. The 98 stock is very nice. Both my 98 and 95 are very accurate but 60 yds is definitely going to take more hold over than a .177.

Third vote for .20. The other I really like is the Beeman R9. I have owned, or currently own 98s and R9s In 20, .177, and .22. Some say the HW95 is in the same category, but I have not found one yet that will shoot the right groups I get with my 98s and R9s. All of mine have been tuned using Vortek spring kits and vacuum seals, though I always trim them down to plus/minus 15 fpe.

Super smooth and accurate.

Its a crap shoot.

177 will have a lot less hold over but drifts more in the wind.

You'll need excellent range estimation and hold over skills with 20 or 22.

Then again you'll need excellent wind leading skills with 177.

Pick your poison and go with your strengths.

FWIW bigger calibers are better for pests bigger than grey squirrels.

Its a crap shoot.

177 will have a lot less hold over but drifts more in the wind.

You'll need excellent range estimation and hold over skills with 20 or 22.

Then again you'll need excellent wind leading skills with 177.

Pick your poison and go with your strengths.

FWIW bigger calibers are better for pests bigger than grey squirrels.
Then add .177 and .22 ammo far more locally available and choice . + Expence