• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

HW98 VS HW80?

In terms of long-range accuracy, which Weihrauch would one choose? The HW 98 or the HW80
Diana54.jpg
, both in .177 caliber? Extra question, how would either compare to the Diana 54 Air King, which I do own?

I'm not a fan of 177 Hw80s. They are kind of harsh and jumpy. IMO the power plant is better suited to larger calibers.
The 98 is a fancy 95. Both are much better choices IMO again for 177.
I don't know what your definition of long range and what kind of accuracy you're looking for. I've shot 100yds with just about all of my springers. From my 177 Hw30s all the way through my 22 R1 (Hw80). I do it more for sh!ts and giggles.

Typically bigger calibers will drift less in the wind but have a lot more drop from similar power plants. Springers tend to lose power quickly as pellet weights increase within a set caliber. Meaning you can only go so heavy with a 177 pellet in a springer before efficiency drops off and the increased BC doesn't make up for it..

There's a lot of considerations here but ultimately I stand by 98/95 over the Hw80, if you're gonna run 177. Switch to 20 or 22 and the Hw80 is a solid choice.

I own or have owned them all. I have meticulously tuned them all. While the Air King can be an amazingly accurate and powerful rifle, I will personally never own another one for several reasons.

In .177, a 98 is hard to beat. I have owned several 98s and 95s. The 98s tend to be more accurate even though the power plants are nearly identical. I believe it is the heavy barrel of the 98 configuration.

In terms of long-range accuracy, which Weihrauch would one choose? The HW 98 or the HW80View attachment 324756, both in .177 caliber? Extra question, how would either compare to the Diana 54 Air King, which I do own?
I guess that really depends on a few factors here....

What do you concider long range?

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of your 54 at that range already?

I have a 56 and while it is decent, it really doesn't keep up with most of my HWs and definitely not my 95 or 97s

What do you consider long range? A .177 springer is going to suffer accuracy issues after fifty yards. Ten grain pellets cannot take the wind. Weather conditions have to be perfect for any kind of accuracy. None of my springers will shoot the thirteen grain pellet accurately. None of my springers care for slugs either. YMMV! Good Luck!

Of me I'd go .177 in a 95 then a .22 in a 80 . That sub 800 fps in a 95 .22 never turned me on... ( Like said above). Now the .177 in a r9/95 cant complain. Ive shoot mine to 100y and 50y all day everyday on stock iron sights . Also handles cheaper cphp well as a guy can ask.. ( about all i ever shoot anyway).

Anyway id probly risk/try a 80 in .22 but in a 95 , .177 pretty much goof proof . (Opinion)

Based on work i did with Venom, the HW80 will beat the 98 when it was Venom Lazerglided, or tamed similarly….

Like this…..the big volume build gives the 80 more wriggle room to start with (if less accurate from the outset) giving more scope to tame back.…but Ive seen a full lazerglided 80 in a Tyrolean stock half the group of an 98 at 60 yds.
However, The Air king pro is the title holder.
If you can get on with its weight and the cumbersome sidelever, its the most accurate longer range springer of all time. …Also, as often mentioned by the bench shooting fraternity, It can be loaded directly in front of you, without the need to move the gun to break the barrel, or drop the under lever, because its a sidelever… an additional boon to tiny groups.
Another record still stands for a FWB 300 SU scoped, but it required the scope setting with the forward mount packed to get the required elevation from its 6.4 ftlbs. but it achieved a 3/8“ (virtual one hole) group at 65 yards…As far as i know…never bettered to this day by a springer.
Maybe not fair to put this one in here, but then the Air King Pro is semi recoiless also.

Last edited:
Air King pro may be champ in accuracy it loses out in ease of shooting. Cocking that thing it's a beast. I have one as well as a HW98. I really have not compared accuracy but both are very good, Both are .22 cal. To me the Air King is very hard to cock off a bench, I have to lift it up put the buttstock on my thigh then cock, usually in two motions. The HW is so much easier to cock.

The 98 is the nicer shooting gun. The smaller piston is more efficient, and puts out near the power of the 80 but with less recoil and consequently it's easier to shoot for it.

I can't see any reason at all to want to own an 80 in .177.

If you care about accuracy, and would be okay with the weight of an HW80, I'd skip it completely and get a 77k/97k. Better shooting than either gun mentioned, but it's heavy. BUT, still lighter and easier to use than an Air King...

Reactions: specie
Thumper …Agreeing with the 97 over the 80 but you just lambasted me on another post for including something outside the topic?…but im not sensitive …ill let ye off.

Could be a bit of confusion here in reg the tuned, or OEM version of 98 versus 80, but correctly tuned the 80 has proven to be more accurate and robust…but regardless of how well we individually shoot with the guns, the Air King Pro remains supreme in regard number of titles and top tuner feedback….
Receiving the gold award for consistent power and accuracy from Hard Air Magazine, labelled the best By Wall and Turner, and most often in the top 3 of any springer competitions and even incl. Pre Charge open events. It simply handles 18+ ftlbs better than any other springer….sown tuning it for UK markets its destroys everything.

For the record, I actually do not like side-levers for their additional bulk and Stock gouges for letting in the lever…Also the allowance of more mass in the stock forward due to the absence of the cocking slots…even more weight forward :(
I prefer a humble HW35K…for the convenience of a reliable shot relocation break barrel, but restricted to 12 ftlbs not much to gain choosing anything else.….
There is a big difference in being pleasant, or nicer to shoot than what actually happens on target and wins competitive shoots.…The 98 just never does, even if it does handle the annoying muzzle lift of the 95 a bit better.

Last edited:
Also seemed like someone here not long ago showed the latest newer(?) 98's now have sights on them.. cause my opinion is buying a gun without sights is like buying a car without a steering wheel. Then if you have scope issues your still able to go shoot and enjoy the gun without any add on extra cost optics.. personly right now i think there all a bit over priced. Well a lot ..lol

Reactions: Steveoo
Here it is.. a 98 match model?

No heavy barrel and front/ rear sights

Yes it is ….The Bull barrel shroud version, is shorter barrelled and not serviceable with opens.
So they have offered an alternative. May as well be a full length 95 with the semi Match stock..
Ya, i was thinking a 95 or 85 dressed in a 98 stock.. in the end to me for me i just would grab a hw95 standard or a sale deal on the 95 lux in .177 and just get out there and shoot it all day with cphp and feel im no worse off and spent less money i can put toward more pellets or somthing to complement it.