• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW98 OR HW 95? .177 OR .22?

I just bought the hw98 “Match” model in .177cal . I could only find it overseas. It has the long barrel not the thick shrouded short one. Im waiting for the back ordered 98 that i have coming in .20cal with the short shrouded barrel. I will compare them when it arrives. So far the long barrel seems pretty good. I figured i could tune down the shot cycle more than the shorter barrel and maintain the same fps. I’m trying to figure out if the dwell time in a longer barrel will effect it more than being able to tune down and smooth out the shot cycle more. I will swap the same scope back to back to try and maintain consistency. I will probably have to try it with both .177 caliber to get the best possible comparison.

IMG_8817.jpeg

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's a bit related. I have a HW97, .177 with Vortek 12 fpe kit. It shoots great, although I rarely shoot it. I've always been intrigued by break barrels, but have never trusted their reliability. However, my experience with several Weihrauch rifles, both spring and PCP, has proven to me, they know what they're doing. So, I'm a bit interested in a break barrel myself as a yard plinker. I don't need it, but, I see no harm in another rifle! I notice that AOA has a HW95 package with a Weihrauch 3-9X scope. If the scope is good, then it's probably a decent value, if it's junk, then maybe not. I'm sure HW doesn't make the scope, and I'm just curious if anyone has experience with it? Also, I assume the muzzle weight is screwed on, and can be replaced with a silencer?
I bought the HW95L "field pro" in .177 2-3 weeks ago. On mine, the muzzle weight is screwed on and is a very useful cocking aid, not that a 95 needs one. The "moderator" seems to be one piece and has no baffles. The test shots from AOA showed only 12fp but it is up to 14 to 15 after about 300 shots and is very smooth. The scope looks to me to be a gamo or BSA scope with a light coat of matt black over a golden base coat. The matt black is kinda rubbing off. That said, it is a surprisingly good scope. Again, the scope is quite good. I expected trash and was ready to replace it but see no need.

There is a lot of droop and I used a BKL254D7 mount. This dang rifle is really accurate. With limited testing, it stacked several 5sh groups at 25yds with a shaky old man and flimsy rest behind it.

I have a 177 a Hw95, 20 cal R9(rebranded Hw95), 22 cal Hw95 Field Pro AND a 20 cal Hw98. I would only hunt more than 50 yards with the 177 95.

The others start with more energy because of basic efficiency. The others retain more of that higher energy as well. Although the larger caliber guns hit with more "authority" I hit the target more often with the 177. The 177 is pushing close to 200 fps more than the others. It has half the drop at 50 yards. Past 50 yards the bigger caliber guns become really loopy.

If you have the luxury of hunting a fixed known distance the bigger calibers are the way to go because they have more energy and you can learn your hold over. If you hunt targets of opportunity at unknown distances you better be really F'n good at range estimation and knowing your hold overs for that gun and pellet. The 177 is more forgiving of ranging errors. So for people like me that hunt at various distances with average ranging skills it's better to hit with less power than to miss with more power.

I will say the larger calibers have smoother shot cycles and are more enjoyable to shoot in general. Just the same none of them has touched the group accuracy of my 177 95 at 50 yards. It's shot under a half inch more then a few times. Only my 177 97 comes close and occasionally beats my 177 95. That really depends on which one has a better fitting tin of pellets that day.

Last edited:
I’m still learning how to range targets and stuff with my scopes. I just recently moved so I don’t have a large yard anymore. I don’t have any acres but I’m in the middle of moving again and then I’ll have some land. I plan on using a rangefinder and practicing guessing distances and setting up targets at random spots.

Reactions: fishing43
I probably put 200 shots through mine today and fired several groups of around 1” at 50 yards, but I’m sure the gun could do better with a better shooter and more attention to the pellets. I just go with H&N FTT because they’re cheap and they shoot good enough for me.

One thing I do notice when shooting it at this time of year is that those .177 pellets are sensitive to wind. Today I was getting 1” groups, but the other day when the wind was blowing they were closer to 3” or 4”. That’s something to consider if you’re debating .22 vs .177.

I have many great springers,but for accuracy,plinking and hunting get the R-9 =HW95 Mine is .20.
Get the .20,it is the best cal. for what you want and it is worth "fighting" for.
The other suggestion do not take the weight off,like HW97,Great springer, not not as good for carrying around.
I think because my .20 R-9 is so accurate and easy to shoulder and carry I am prejudiced, I admit it!👌

I’ve owned a HW 95 in .177 for over 4 years now. The spring broke quite early on so I installed a Vortek PG 4 (maybe 3, can’t remember ) High Output tune kit. I’m a bench shooter only and can shoot out to 51 yards on my property. I also shoot the TX 200 , Air Arms Pro Sport .22 , HW 97 and the Diana 54. I rarely shoot the 95 anymore because it is just so accurate it is not much of a challenge. I know , hard to believe.
What contribute to my 95 being so accurate ? I spend as much on the scope as I did on the gun and then spent the time and money on finding the best pellet for the barrel. This can get expensive but a gun of this quality is worth the time and money. I’ve done this with all my springers.From my experience, It’s amazing how poorly a real quality gun will shoot using the wrong pellets for the barrel. I fine this process actually quite nerve racking until you find something that just nails it almost every time. . My 95 shoots FTT , 4.52 head size almost unbelievable accurate. I would love to sometime own a 98 but it would not be to have a more accurate gun.

I think the only difference between the two is the stocks and barrel options. I gave my brother one of my 95 luxus and it was amazingly accurate. I was shooting it back to back with my brand new 97 and the only limiting factor was the different scopes. I love the 98 stocks adjustability so out of 95, 97, 98, and the 80 i like the 98 the best so far. That could change if i try a 97 in .177 caliber though for field targets purposes. For hunting I would have to have a .22. The best chronographs figures i have gotten have been with the hw80 . It has the tightnest specs. I had a standard deviation of 1 in an 8 count shot string. I didn’t think that was even possible.for long distance shooting the 80 is my favorite.

Another vote for the HW95 .20 Luxus. Loves the H&N Baracudas. One of my most accurate springers.
I have many great springers,but for accuracy,plinking and hunting get the R-9 =HW95 Mine is .20.
Get the .20,it is the best cal. for what you want and it is worth "fighting" for.
The other suggestion do not take the weight off,like HW97,Great springer, not not as good for carrying around.
I think because my .20 R-9 is so accurate and easy to shoulder and carry I am prejudiced, I admit it!👌
Another vote for the HW95 .20 Luxus. Loves the H&N Baracudas. One of my most accurate springers, seems to ignore the wind. I waited six months for the rifle, well worth the wait.