HW98 OR HW 95? .177 OR .22?

I have been really looking at getting quality springer! these two seem to be some great options. I like the looks of the 98 but ive read some that says it can be heavy for hunting. My main goal is to have a super accurate plinker but also a good hunter, which brings me to the next dilemma 

.177 or .22? which caliber will give me the most accuracy at 50+ yards? I am thinking .177 will be nice but like how the .22 will hit much harder? 

I would highly recommend the .177 myself. Either gun would be just fine, the 98 may get a slight edge in easy accuracy due to better balance and being heavier. 

"Hitting harder" doesn't mean anything at these modest power levels. It just needs to go where it is supposed to, and the flatter shooting .177 makes that easier. 

Every Weihrauch I have had in .22 has sucked as far as accuracy. Others disagree, but that's my experience. Look around and you'll find that most are "pellet picky" at the least. 

Also agree on the 95 for plinking and hunting,I have the.20 and love it.Have an HW50S in .177 another accurate light springer, though I think the 95 is better.

I always wanted the 98 because of the adjustability, put an adjustable butt plate on the 95 and it helps me out a lot.

I think the 95 in one of the best all-around springers made.

I would highly recommend the .177 myself. Either gun would be just fine, the 98 may get a slight edge in easy accuracy due to better balance and being heavier. 

"Hitting harder" doesn't mean anything at these modest power levels. It just needs to go where it is supposed to, and the flatter shooting .177 makes that easier. 

Every Weihrauch I have had in .22 has sucked as far as accuracy. Others disagree, but that's my experience. Look around and you'll find that most are "pellet picky" at the least.

+1 HW95 or 98 in .177 caliber.

Head shots are doable at 50 yards once you've gotten used to the gun. I personally didn't like/need the extra barrel weight of the 98, but love the stock.

Best of best both worlds is he HW95 in a HW98 stock.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's a bit related. I have a HW97, .177 with Vortek 12 fpe kit. It shoots great, although I rarely shoot it. I've always been intrigued by break barrels, but have never trusted their reliability. However, my experience with several Weihrauch rifles, both spring and PCP, has proven to me, they know what they're doing. So, I'm a bit interested in a break barrel myself as a yard plinker. I don't need it, but, I see no harm in another rifle! I notice that AOA has a HW95 package with a Weihrauch 3-9X scope. If the scope is good, then it's probably a decent value, if it's junk, then maybe not. I'm sure HW doesn't make the scope, and I'm just curious if anyone has experience with it? Also, I assume the muzzle weight is screwed on, and can be replaced with a silencer? 

I got the HW98 recently in .22, as I have an older FWB 124 in .177 set up with peep sights. Honestly it is a delight to carry, easy to cock and over having had it for 48 years now it has been consistantly very accurate. Back in the days when I first put a scope on it it exibited none of the barrel droop so many speak of with other guns.

To really compare the two would be like comparing apples and oranges, one is light, easy to cock and iron sights, the other heavy and harder to cock, but both are extremely accurate. For a quick offhand shot I will take the smaller, lighter weight gun, for a supported shot, the scoped HW98. The ranges I plan on shooting at really make no difference.

Really need to try each one!!! Opinions are going to be all over the place, the 177 vs 22 has been going on for decades. Even if you need to take a long drive or a couple vacation days, try to find some where or someone that would let you try each one so you can make a good personal decision. If money is not an issue, buy both and send back the one you dont like...you might end up keeping both!!!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's a bit related. I have a HW97, .177 with Vortek 12 fpe kit. It shoots great, although I rarely shoot it. I've always been intrigued by break barrels, but have never trusted their reliability. However, my experience with several Weihrauch rifles, both spring and PCP, has proven to me, they know what they're doing. So, I'm a bit interested in a break barrel myself as a yard plinker. I don't need it, but, I see no harm in another rifle! I notice that AOA has a HW95 package with a Weihrauch 3-9X scope. If the scope is good, then it's probably a decent value, if it's junk, then maybe not. I'm sure HW doesn't make the scope, and I'm just curious if anyone has experience with it? Also, I assume the muzzle weight is screwed on, and can be replaced with a silencer?

Four years ago I purchased my HW95L Field Pro that came with a 3-9x scope. It says Weihrauch on the scope but it is made in China and at first that disappointed me. Well after four plus years of use that same scope and mounts are still on the rifle. It still gives me a very clear sight picture and holds zero just fine. 

The muzzle weight is held on by an allen screw. I've never taken it off so I don't know about replacing it with a moderator.

I have two HW95's in .22. They are used for backyard plinking. One of them was a .177 and even though it shot very well I installed a .22 caliber barrel on it. I just enjoy the .22 more.

Very interesting.

Most people seem to prefer .177 for plinking: probably because the pellets are significantly less expensive. May I ask what specifically you find more enjoyable about the .22?

Not looking for an argument, just curious (I am considering my next plinker - have pretty much narrowed it down to an HW35e - and would appreciate the benefit of your experience). Thanks very much.

If your staying with 12 ft lb rifle then .177 should ve a must as a .22 would be very loopy trajectory at distance. If you go with a 16 or higher energy rifle consider the .22. Better impact and kill on larger game, easier to handle the larger pellets, but more costly. The 17 are less costly and a much flatter trajectory at lower power. Or go inbetween and find a rifle a little over like 13-14 lbs energy where you could use a heavy 10 gn plus 17 pellet....lots of options, what are your needs??? Lower power is easier to shoot accurately but some have no issue with higher recoil...how about you??