• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch HW98 Muzzle Brake ??

Since I bought and placed a .20 cal. HW98 barrel on my (formally .177) HW80SLK, I got tired of handling the barrel while cocking.
Whether its the cold steel or the fear of rusting/blueing wear, I decided to make a muzzle brake for it like all my other HW's.

The brake completely covers the screw on muzzle end of the HW98 barrel and looks a little wonky as the barrel is roughly 7/8" in diameter.
However, it works great - (y)

HW98 Barrel - MB.jpg

HW98 Barrel - MB2.jpg

HW98 Barrel - MB3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks decent to my eyes. If Frankenstein looked as good as your conversion it would have been a completely different story ;)

Any insights to how different it feels/shoots relative to a stock HW80 or 98?

-Marty
Marty, the newer HW80 Lexus stock feels beefy/chunky vs. an older, Beeman Goudy stock.
The former, .177 SLK barrel enabled me to whip it around much easier, but suffered for excessive motion of the 16 FPE shot cycle vs. the .20 caliber (19.75 FPE).
The 98 barrel makes the gun even shorter, heavier and more solid.
Best of all the gun is more stable with the heavy barrel and easier shoot accurately.

I’m almost ready to go after Bayman’s 435 yard milk jug 👍.

Last edited:
Reactions: MartyMcFly
Hi SpiralGroove

I would like to try making a muzzle break such as this.

You seem to suggest the muzzle break can prevent rust, but removing the break after some time to realize the barrel has rusted underneath has been one of my concerns.

Have you ever taken one off after a period of time to see if rust had formed underneath?

Do you coat the barrel under the muzzle break with some kind of rust preventative?

I think I read elsewhere that you are making these out of Delrin with a bit of an interference fit and pounding them on. If this is true, do you have a sense of how undersized the bore of the muzzle break is compared to the barrel outside diameter?

Have you ever made one too small and had it split going on?

Thanks for sharing.

Since I bought and placed a .20 cal. HW98 barrel on my (formally .177) HW80SLK, I got tired of handling the barrel while cocking.
Whether its the cold steel or the fear of rusting/blueing wear, I decided to make a muzzle brake for it like all my other HW's.

The brake completely covers the screw on muzzle end of the HW98 barrel and looks a little wonky as the barrel is roughly 7/8" in diameter.
However, it works great - (y)

View attachment 404188

View attachment 404189

View attachment 404191
I think it looks great, If you don't want to be seen handling it ....I'll take it off your hands.

Hi SpiralGroove

I would like to try making a muzzle break such as this.

You seem to suggest the muzzle break can prevent rust, but removing the break after some time to realize the barrel has rusted underneath has been one of my concerns.

Have you ever taken one off after a period of time to see if rust had formed underneath?

Do you coat the barrel under the muzzle break with some kind of rust preventative?

I think I read elsewhere that you are making these out of Delrin with a bit of an interference fit and pounding them on. If this is true, do you have a sense of how undersized the bore of the muzzle break is compared to the barrel outside diameter?

Have you ever made one too small and had it split going on?

Thanks for sharing.
Hey A-of-the-B,
The MB just keeps your hands off the barrel and gives a much better grip for cocking.
I always recommend liberally oiling the barrel end before pounding on one of my MBs.

I've taken 3 or 4 off before when I came up with better looking MBs; never saw a rusted barrel tip. However, I'm pretty careful where it's pointed.

Yes, their made of black delrin and are drilled to the barrels dia - for Weihrauch's it either 15mm/16mm.

The front sight grooves provide enough friction; hence they're pounded on with a dead-blow hammer.

Delrin is surprisingly tough stuff, never had a splitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frogy
Hey A-of-the-B,
The MB just keeps your hands off the barrel and gives a much better grip for cocking.
I always recommend liberally oiling the barrel end before pounding on one of my MBs.

I've taken 3 or 4 off before when I came up with better looking MBs; never saw a rusted barrel tip. However, I'm pretty careful where it's pointed.

Yes, their made of black delrin and are drilled to the barrels dia - for Weihrauch's it either 15mm/16mm.

The front sight grooves provide enough friction; hence they're pounded on with a dead-blow hammer.

Delrin is surprisingly tough stuff, never had a splitter.
Hey Spiral,

Groovy. Thanks for answering my questions. I think the MBs you are making look quite good.
I do believe I will give it a try. Thanks again for sharing the idea.

Last edited:
Hey Spiral,

Groovy. Thanks for answering my questions. I think the MBs you are making look quit good.
I do believe I will give it a try. Thanks again for sharing the idea.
SpiralGroove has turned out many Delrin brakes for me. One of them custom made off a hand sketch and built to perfection for my purpose. Fantastic work and highly recommended. I coat my barrels liberally with MP-5 Metalophilic oil as assembly lube and wipe down often. I will ring him up anytime I need another!