HW97K which caliber and pellet?

I am new to springers, for the last few years I have Man shooting a FX crown. I’m trying to decide between .22 caliber and .25 caliber for squirrel hunting. The HW 97 seems to be the most accurate out of the box gun. Please help me decide based on these requirements.

1. No shots will be inside 20 yards with the occasional 25 to 30 yard shot.

2. Sometimes I hunt we the temperatures are really cold not sure if this will make any difference in caliber or not but mainly concerned about the performance and extremely cold situations. I know it affects the performance of PCPs but not sure about Springer’s.

3. Would like the most punch and accuracy between the .22 and the .25 caliber. Any experience you could share would be helpful.

4. Please suggest a brand of pellet start with.

I routinely kill Squirrels with my .177 Walther LGV Master Pro. Very flat trajectory using either 10.34 JSB or Polymags. Hits like s hammer. 

Same gun in .22 is also very accurate. But for some reason have had more success with the .177. The .22 LOVES Hades. 

Good luck. 

*Have never owned the 97, but everyone loves theirs. It’s a great platform, and certainly in my bucket list. But don’t overlook other makes or models. 

" . Sometimes I hunt we the temperatures are really cold not sure if this will make any difference in caliber or not but mainly concerned about the performance and extremely cold situations. I know it affects the performance of PCPs but not sure about Springer’s."

I'm not entirely sure how much effect cold weather has on springers. Gas-spring guns are effected by temperature. Velocities fall with this type of airgun in cold weather. With all springer type (gas or coil spring) airguns elevation is the performance killer. I lost 20 fps in a Beeman RX1 shooting at 2300 ft elevation. Established velocities were at 85 ft above sea level. Barometric pressure also effects performance but to a lesser degree.

My '97 is a .177 12 ft lb model. I know a few shooters with the same gun in both FAC and 12 ft lb and the pellet of choice for the vast majority of us is the H+N ftt. Mine has a shift in impact in the cold, it doesn't seem to be velocity, just a mechanical shift of 1 mil as the temp changes between 40f and 70f. This is with a Leupold 6.5-20EFR scope mounted in an RWS lockdown mount. I have an SWFA 20x on it now, but it hasn't got below 90 degrees yet this year to see if it is different.

1570464280_11916346155d9b62185c47f3.90206605_20190706_193336_HDR.jpg

Mine is .22 and shooting at @14.5 fpe using JSB 15.89's. Plenty of power for Any small game or pests. Being able to put the pellet RIGHT where I want it...because:

It's superbly accurate and is on of the few springers I own that I can watch the pellet travel to the target.

Stock spring and guides with No buzz/twang.

Beautiful rifle thats built like a brick poop-house.

Mike.

I have a 77k in .20 killed alot of small game I've only shot Beeman Silver Jets 11.1 gr. at 805fps . it shoots flatter than my 97k but pellets are lacking in variety, my 97k is sighted in at 30yds I have a old Japan TROPHY 4x12 , I use the top of the duplex for 30yds. and i get two more sight marks with center x and the bottom of the duplex , gives me more elevation . also it hits like a hammer you just give to get use to it rainbow trajectorie. great variety of pellets. great gun but getting a little heavy for a old fart. Good luck Can't go wrong with the .22 when you hit it will go down. Try lite pellets in your springer.