If you use a Maccari (ARH) kit and probably spring, a spring compressor will be a good idea. I'm a big guy 6'4" 250 and I can barely wrestle a gun together with most of the Maccari kits I've used. I've used them on 35s, 95s, 97s and 80s. They work great but run a lot of preload.

The Vortek kits are much easier to install without a Spring compressor because they use a lot less preload. The Vortek kits aren't without their problems.

My recommendation is deal with the additional spring preload on the Maccari kit and use a Vortek piston seal.

I am also researching a "tune" on my HW97 in .177 I bought it a little under 2 years ago and have about 10 to 14 thousand rounds through it. It has lost power. I purchased a chronograph to confirm and it is shooting 622fps. I have tried a few drops of silicone throught the transfer port, that helped for a while but I think it's time for a new piston seal and a new spring while I'm at it.

After reading the suggestions and discriptions on this forum and others I have decided to use an Air Gun Headquarters spring; otherwize known as a Maccari spring: and a Vortek piston seal. I think it's fair to say that I will be swapping out parts, not really tuning the rifle.

I have been cautioned by shooter friends not to do it myself. The AGH website says that their target customers are professional tuners and not the general public. A pro tuner would charge about $300 and doing myself will be about $100. I'm giving it a try.

Although I'm not a tuner, I have owned motorcycles and go karts and cleaned and changed carburetors, coils, diaphragms etc. I do my own breaks, cut my own hair, change my own oil. I'm giving it a whirl.

Right now I am puting together a DIY spring compressor. I also play piano, and have great respect for springs.

I chose the AGH / Maccari Hornet spring because it's my understanding that Maccari has been making springs longer than most of the competition and his springs have been described as "docile". My experience with trampoline springs and motorycycle suspension springs over the years tells me that an abrupt spring is not what most people want. With trampolines a spring that catches you and gently absorbs energy then returns it in a non abrutpt "docile" way is what professional gymnasts are after. Harsh springs are tough on the body and although they feel powerful they return less power than a quality "soft" feeling spring.

I will be looking forward to see how you make out on your jorney. Are you going to have a tuner install the parts? Are you experienced at this?
That comment about ARH ‘target customers’ is largely there because he does not want to spend time on the phone explaining to customers how to use his products. Vortek is a lot more user friendly in terms of customer support. But if ARH was dependent on ‘professional tuners’ only, they would have gone out of business years ago. There are probably only 20-25 max in the entire country and lots of average Joes like you have successfully installed ARH kits. I have ARH kits in all of my spring guns and highly recommend them. Do some internet research before you begin. There are several very helpful youtube tutorials that can guide you through the process. Given your mechanical expertise, it should be a relatively easy job. Good luck.

R

Reactions: Deerstalker
That comment about ARH ‘target customers’ is largely there because he does not want to spend time on the phone explaining to customers how to use his products. Vortek is a lot more user friendly in terms of customer support. But if ARH was dependent on ‘professional tuners’ only, they would have gone out of business years ago. There are probably only 20-25 max in the entire country and lots of average Joes like you have successfully installed ARH kits. I have ARH kits in all of my spring guns and highly recommend them. Do some internet research before you begin. There are several very helpful youtube tutorials that can guide you through the process. Given your mechanical expertise, it should be a relatively easy job. Good luck.

R
Fitting his seals are the trick . i throw 2 or so extra in to play around with or if i goof one i got fast at hand backup . His springs are pretty stright forward ..

On the seals i assume why most say his spring and vortex seal thats all pretty much drop in and go

Last edited:
Fitting his seals are the trick . i throw 2 or so exyra in to play around with or if i hoof one i got fast at hand backup . His springs are pretty stright forward ..

On the seals i assume why most say his spring and vortex seal thats all pretty much drop in and go
Yep, I’m also an ARH spring/guide and Vortek seal user. Very good combination 👍
R

I will let Motorhead in No Cal do the tuning. He is ultra-experienced and has done 4 different rifles so far. that I own. Recently my 1979 FWB 124D . Before that my Diana Air King 54 in .177, my Beeman R7, my Air Arms TX200 Mk. 111 HC in .22.In the fall I will let him tune my HW98 in .177. The firing cycle on the Beeman R7 is almost recoil free. What a great little rifle.

Those are some fine springers you have there! I like how the Beeman R7 is holding it's own in that crowd. As I get older I'm amazed at how smaller is often better in the end. I have owned many different size motorcycles over the years. Now I ride a pit bike. A small 110cc mini bike that dirt racers use to get around the pits before a race, to go get lunch, and to register. Then they decided to start actually racing the little pit bikes and had more fun with them than the actual race bikes. The smallest, least expensive bike I owned, all tolled, gave me the most joy. Go R7 !
- Less is more -

I sure do hear alot of good things about Motorhead. Is he one of the most used springer tuners? I think I hear his handle used a ton on the foums. Or maybe he just has the catchiest name. Good luck with the tune! I'm sure it will come out sweet. And you can spend more time shooting all those springers instead of running to the hardware store to get washers like me. Lol

Those are some fine springers you have there! I like how the Beeman R7 is holding it's own in that crowd. As I get older I'm amazed at how smaller is often better in the end. I have owned many different size motorcycles over the years. Now I ride a pit bike. A small 110cc mini bike that dirt racers use to get around the pits before a race, to go get lunch, and to register. Then they decided to start actually racing the little pit bikes and had more fun with them than the actual race bikes. The smallest, least expensive bike I owned, all tolled, gave me the most joy. Go R7 !
- Less is more -

I sure do hear alot of good things about Motorhead. Is he one of the most used springer tuners? I think I hear his handle used a ton on the foums. Or maybe he just has the catchiest name. Good luck with the tune! I'm sure it will come out sweet. And you can spend more time shooting all those springers instead of running to the hardware store to get washers like me. Lol
I have had four spring guns tuned by Motorhead. Honest, amazing work, and not hard on the wallet. Good work on my Diana 54, TX200 HC, Beeman R7, and my 1979 FWB 124D just back. This fall my HW97K and HW98 will be under his care. Here is the FWB 124D back in service.

Beeman R7.jpg

Reactions: woodman73
That's a really cool rifle! I like the white inlays in the stock. Amazing how older rifles are built so nicely. Which one of your springers is the most accurate?

Here is a pic of the spring compressor I just put together. Air Venturi sells a spring compressor and they utilize the scope mounting rail as an anchor point to hold the gun instead of a muzzle block or pivot point block. I went with their approach. I'm waiting for the rings to come in. Then I will install the spring and piston seal.

The spring from ARH has arrived. I tried compressing it with my arms. I only got about 1/2 inch. Putting it against the floor; I can compress it but I didn't because it could boing out and possibly get bent. Anyway, after feeling how rigid and powerful this spring is. I'm glad it made the compressor. It would not be possible without.

Reactions: beerthief
Yes I ordered $12 one inch rings to fit the one inch pipe; with 11mm dovetail bases and double clamping bolts on each ring base. Unfortunately the pin stop is on the rear section of the reciever which I will be removing, so won't be able to use a ring stop.

As far as opening the spring tube without using a spring compressor. I have zero experience in opening the tube or action. I have never changed a spring or piston seal on a springer before. I'm just following the suggestions of others. I have seen a few Youtube videos of folks opening the action without a compressor but I noticed that they were all from Europe and were probably using 12 ft-lb springs.

If you can change out a full output spring on an HW97 or 77 without a spring comprressor. Please explain the process or please show a link. I would love to learn. Thank you