• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW97K or 98?

Been on-the-fence between these two. Besides flip-a-coin, any input?

whichone.1612521164.JPG

I shoot bench-rest mostly. Sub-100yards, typically 25, but would like to go further. Not hunting, just paper targets. I'm 6'2", 210lbs.

👀

Frank in Oregon

Some of my thoughts on it, in no particular order:

I do like the adjustable cheek-rest and looks of the 98.

Not a fan of under-levers in my limited experience, but I hear they're slightly more accurate. Although I doubt that would be noticeable for years if new.

Sure wish they came with open-sights, but I can live with that.

It appears I can add a moderator to the 97K, but not the 98. Yet I wonder if doing so would affect accuracy. Are they both about as loud as the other?

97K has a longer barrel-length by quite a bit. Doesn't that usually make a gun inherently more accurate at longer distances?

Too bad they're both springers instead of gas-ram. Unless they're so good, I won't notice.

The 97's are designed for FT, thus bench rest. The 97 is easier to shoot from Bench. I like the HW98, but the 97's are more compact. The HW97 is not longer than the HW98 by any stretch. Odyole is right the 54 is impressive. It was a big deal years ago before pcp's took over. Out of the box, hard to beat a 54. The 97 and the 98 are 13-13.5 foot pounds out of the box. If you practice enough they are easy to shoot. Some go for the 12 foot pound tune kit, which will make it easier to shoot. 

I love my HW97K... its the only gun I have bought and never thought about selling. I even got out of air guns for a while, but kept that one without a thought of getting rid of it. I will for sure be handing that one down to my son when he is old enough. Its not that its THE most accurate gun I have ever had, but to grab it and head out with some pellets is just a complete departure from the 25 steps we go through for an Impact or something similar. 

I know you didn’t ask for that, but wanted you to know how attached to the HW97K you can get.

Folks in general seem to like the 97. But then again, folks love the Sleep-Number bed and I hated it.

That 97 sure is homely gun. Looks about like every Gamo I've shot. But no sense spending more for wood or fake stainless.

As far as RWS, I avoid anything made by Umarex as of the past couple years. Everything I buy from them... ah, anyway, moving on.

I have a 77K. It’s a lovely rifle and very accurate. It has the open sights too which gives you an option. Weihrauch supply a silencer for the 77 too which works well although does make the rifle longer. 
I have not shot a 98. I have an 80K which is only a month old so I’ve not put too many pellets through it. It seems to shoot very nicely too. 
I think either will impress 

Well.... I guess it's gonna be the 97K. Synthetic stock, as I'm likely to put on a paint-job and want the weather-resistance.

Just gotta sell a couple air-rifles I have listed, and I'm on my way to my very first HW. :)

Thanks all for the input, keep it coming, won't be a done-deal until it's in my hands. (pics then of course!)

Frank in Oregon

I picked option two, bought both and don’t have any regrets at all. 97k in .177 a couple of times and a .20 in the 98. Always wanted a .20 and went for the easier loading 98 this time. The stock wasn’t as nice as I had hoped for but I had some surprises with shooting groups over a chrono today after cleaning the barrel and mounting a swfa fixed 10x scope. The first twenty jsb 13.7grs had a Sd of 1, pretty good in my book. The second group of twenty were the 15gr and they had an Sd of 2. Most noticeable was very little twang to this shooter and to another member here. It favored the 13.73 jsb but seemed to always have a flyer or two in each 10 shot group. Overall to me it’s a toss up between the 97 or 98, my 97s are broke in and tuned where the 98 has maybe 80 pellets down the tube. I’m very close to your size in both height and weight and I’m glad I have both, good luck on your decision. Forgot the pics.