HW97K getting a good going through.....

Have you thought about wet polishing the inside and outside of the mainspring itself ? Completely clean and dry the mainspring. Then rub the outside of the spring with cotton gauze or balls. If there is rough spots, burs, etc. the cotton will catch on them. Then take a long wooden dowel and run the gauze through the inside of the spring. To polish the inside (if needed) you could figure out a way to secure the spring in a straight line where it won't spin. Then turn one end of the dowel down (depending what diameter of dowel) to use in a cordless drill. You'll then have to figure out a way to secure your polishing head to the end of the dowel. Just a thought.

Wayne........sounds like something I might would think about trying. I'm not sure if the benefit would justify the amount of time and effort it would take to do it right though. I've spent quite enough time on this already. It's time to get it together and shoot!!!

BTW......I had a package on the front porch when I got home tonight 
1f601.svg

So will you be up into the wee hours of the morning working on it ?

Awesome work so far TR! Reading with interest. Jut have not been as active myself lately due to this annoying thing called work, really busy season for us, having to work lots of OT. That and the weather SUCKS! Can't wait to read about the end result though!

After nearly 42 years of work I'm glad I can settle down and do what I want. Between the " honey do lists " of course! 

Wow that thing was cruddy inside and out...I wonder because krale buys in bulk that they add that sticky grease for shelf life!

Either Way you definitely did the right thing getting it apart and cleaned up...did you get the hornet seal or the sgs combo? 

I have a custom tuned 97k in .20 cal that I just popped apart after 3 years of shooting to inspect everything...did a clean and relube and all was good ! Even the hornet seal was still in fine shape...buttoned compression tube and piston with the hornet kit and no spacing. She does a very smooth 14fpe and accuracy is fonominal!

Thanks for sharing and waiting to hear how she turns out...might take a little break in period if you don't fit the seal but that's part of the fun....trigger time...lol.

James from Michigan 

Awesome work so far TR! Reading with interest. Jut have not been as active myself lately due to this annoying thing called work, really busy season for us, having to work lots of OT. That and the weather SUCKS! Can't wait to read about the end result though!

Thank you sir. And trust me, I fully understand that annoying work thing. I put in 55 to 60 hour work weeks myself with off days that aren't consecutive. Makes it hard to get to the things that I enjoy most of the time. But.....very blessed to have the ability to work and make a living. We have had very sucky weather here in Alabama too. It turned beautiful today though with no rain finally and I hope to get this 97 together tomorrow morning. Hope you get some time off soon.

Wow that thing was cruddy inside and out...I wonder because krale buys in bulk that they add that sticky grease for shelf life!

Either Way you definitely did the right thing getting it apart and cleaned up...did you get the hornet seal or the sgs combo? 

I have a custom tuned 97k in .20 cal that I just popped apart after 3 years of shooting to inspect everything...did a clean and relube and all was good ! Even the hornet seal was still in fine shape...buttoned compression tube and piston with the hornet kit and no spacing. She does a very smooth 14fpe and accuracy is fonominal!

Thanks for sharing and waiting to hear how she turns out...might take a little break in period if you don't fit the seal but that's part of the fun....trigger time...lol.

James from Michigan

Ya know, that rifle was absolutely filthy with old grease and residue everywhere. I'm talking filthy. I didn't even show any pics of the bore patches after being put through the bore. It was the same kinda reddish/tan/brown color as what I cleaned off of the entire rifle. Took quite a while to get the bore cleaned as well. This is the first 97k that I have owned, I just assumed that this is the way they all are new from Weihrauch? Anyway.....yes, I am very happy that I broke it all down before going straight to shooting. 

To answer your question, I got the Hornet seal only. I really like his seals and springs though. I have both a Maccari spring and seal in a D34 of mine and really love the shot cycle with it. I'm kinda in a quandary tonight though. The Hornet seal that I have been waiting on arrived last night. Today I was surprised when I got home from work to find a box on the porch. My wife who asks questions about what I'm doing, looking at, etc. and pays attention to what I'm up to (way too much sometimes) ordered a Vortek PG3 kit from AOA unbeknownst to me. Hmmmm......go forward with OEM spring and Hornet seal or PG3? Women really do complicate things..........very sweet of her though. I think she felt bad for only getting me socks for Christmas 😁

Your wife ordered the PG3 kit ?

That's freaking awesome that she takes interest in your shooting...but I can see the down side of it too...lol. No sneaking new toys without her noticing!!!

Pretty easy disassembly on that 97 so try both and see which shot cycle you like best...if it's a good true compression tube you should get right about 15fpe with the factory spring and that hornet seal...

James from Michigan 

Same here, weather improved. Gave me a chance to do a little shooting, got me a tree rat, & work on some YT video projects.Even published one. Check it out: 

https://youtu.be/6KPF5fvYoEA

Hey, thanks for sharing that. That was a good video. That target system is really cool. I have some steel "spinner" type targets set up in my yard that I like to shoot at. But, that one is a bit unique and versatile too. I'm glad you got some time to enjoy yourself some. We all need that time as often as can be had. You did a fine job on the video. Very laid back and easy style, but with good content. Very well presented 👍

FINISHED and assembled by noon today!! I got a bit of a late start this morning but completed the lube and assembly around midday. After tossing it around for a bit, I decided to go with the PG3 kit.......especially since it was a gift from my wife. I like a happy house. I was careful to do a good lube job on all the appropriate parts, because I don't want to feel the need to break it down again until I just want to.......of course assuming the PG3 delivers a shot cycle that I am pleased with. I was able to compress the Vortek spring and get the trigger block threaded without the use of a spring compressor. It wasn't the easiest thing in the world, but quite honestly wasn't that hard either. 

Well.....I have to say that I am smiling ear to ear after shooting this afternoon. I'm honestly a little bit blown away at the accuracy of this rifle. The shot cycle is fast and snappy but so very smooth. The cocking is smooth as silk and very quiet. It took a bit of shooting for things to settle down a bit and become very consistent. I sighted in at 25 yards and while it was delivering some descent groups, it wasn't consistent. I had more fliers than I would want. I continued shooting until late afternoon and boy did it begin to bring it all home! It began grouping like like.....my PCP. Did I say that? Yeah......I did! This 97K has just rekindled my love affair with good springers. I put quite a bit of work into it before the first pellet was ever shot and am glad I did. But, this is a super nice shooting and crazy accurate spring gun. (I want another one 😁)

I had to take some pics of "sweet thang"......so pretty. And look at the groups it finally began putting together this evening. These became the norm and easy to do. Crazy. I only tried JSB 15.89 gr. and H&N FTT 14.66 gr. (5.54). It didn't really do very well with the JSB's but loved the FTT's.

Beautiful rifle......

1578273739_14724779465e128bcb00a827.51276326_IMG_1080.JPG

1578273799_8872184495e128c07d1a138.77988871_IMG_1085.JPG

1578273835_6860132265e128c2b40a877.05823596_IMG_1086.JPG

All these groups were at 25 Yards. I had pellets going in the same hole. I forgot to use a coin for reference. But, the black dots are exactly the same diameter as a US Dime.

1578274000_1852128285e128cd0910445.84496656_IMG_1093.JPG

1578274037_12505027665e128cf59580a1.22836311_IMG_1092.JPG

Ten shot groups.......😁

1578274080_4916956815e128d20632541.73215320_IMG_1094.JPG

I hope it gets better with more break in.....

I really appreciate the interest taken and the replies along the way. This is the stuff that makes a grown man feel like a kid.

TR