• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
Don't rule out heavy pellets. I have an HW97K in 0.22 caliber and mine loves H&N Baracuda Match 5.51mm 21.14g pellets at 550 fps for 14.2 ft/lbs.
I have an HW77K 0.22 caliber and that one loves H&N FTT 5.55mm 14.66 g pellets @ 690 fps for 15.5 ft/lbs.

I shoot mine up to 50 yards and while the trajectory may be more loopy with the heavier pellets, you can figure out holdover fairly easy once you find your desired pellet.

Bottom line is try various pellets of various weights and even varying head sizes. As you can see, one gun prefers a smaller head size, the other a larger one. Groups can vary within the same type of pellet just with different head sizes. Good luck!

If you've never owned a springer a lesson is in order:

​1. Hold it loose ( called the artillery hold ) let the rifle do the work.
2. The firing vibration is more pronounced and takes time to get used to.
​3. There is a break-in period, maybe 500 to a 1000 shots. Use your cheap ammo here.
4. Clean the barrel only with airgun bore solvents. Clean it before you fire it.
5. Hold on to the cocking arm while loading the pellet.
6. If you are using a scope make sure it's rated for springers.

​Good luck hope this helps, that a fine rifle you have on the way, we want photos! 

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a HW97KT in wood .177 myself. I'm thinking with the Moderator. Anyone have experience with the Moderator on the 97? How much does it reduce noise for the neighbors? How sturdy/durable/tough/solid is it and do you remove it or leave it on in the case? Is it sturdy enough for a soft case if left on or only a hard case? 

EMrider, You are the second person who has stated his 97 loves the JSB Heavies in .177 I'm seeing a trend. Is it because for the American market the power is turned up? 

rjos3ph, I was thinking the .22 as well at first. I've always owned .177 but have not owned any for about 12 yrs. I am now thinking the .177 because of the higher power of the newer models like the HW97K. I figure I can get plenty of knockdown power with the heavier pellets at the greater velocities because of their lower drag in the smaller diameter. What was your reasoning for the .22 cal over .177?

Adam, Thanks for the tip on the Straight Shooters pellet sampler. I would have never found them on my own.