• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms HW97 VS TX200 or comparable

Hi everyone,

I'm considering adding a springer to the collection. This would likely be a plinker and maybe a field target rifle, even though I know piston field target is more difficult than pcp.

In match results I see mostly TX200's and HW97's. What are the pros and cons of each? I've heard the TX200 is simple to work on vs the HW97 which is a plus.

I was told there had been a blue stock for the TX200 but looking on their site and pyramid, its no longer an option. It kinda sucks as I do like my blue stocks.

Is the price of the TX200 ultimate springer worth it over the standard? Is there a benefit to the options of it to justify the price for casual shooting?

Also I'm not locked into just these two. I'm willing to consider others of the same build performance and quality.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
I believe the blue stock is/was only available for the HW97k. The TX200 has a new edition out that is in laminate but it costs as much as a decent PCP. You can get a blue laminate aftermarket stock for the TX200 too.

The difference between the two rifles is really a matter of preference if you don’t plan to open them up. I prefer the TX200HC because the grip feels better in my hands and the HC just balances so well. In general the TX is a prettier or better finished rifle but the accuracy is equal.

Lastly, if you want a rifle with open sights you can get the HW77, it’s the same gun as the 97k.

-Marty

I believe the blue stock is/was only available for the HW97k. The TX200 has a new edition out that is in laminate but it costs as much as a decent PCP. You can get a blue laminate aftermarket stock for the TX200 too.

The difference between the two rifles is really a matter of preference if you don’t plan to open them up. I prefer the TX200HC because the grip feels better in my hands and the HC just balances so well. In general the TX is a prettier or better finished rifle but the accuracy is equal.

Lastly, if you want a rifle with open sights you can get the HW77, it’s the same gun as the 97k.

-Marty
So no real benefit of the mkiii over the hc?

It’s the same action. The TX200HC is just the MkIII with a shorter barrel. However, the HC comes with a removable cap at the front of the barrel shroud. This allows the addition of a moderator. Unfortunately, a moderator on a springer is much less effective than on a PCP. The HC’s shorter cocking lever also makes it a little harder to cock than a standard MkIII.

-Marty

Reactions: MysticalDragon
It’s the same action. The TX200HC is just the MkIII with a shorter barrel. However, the HC comes with a removable cap at the front of the barrel shroud. This allows the addition of a moderator. Unfortunately, a moderator on a springer is much less effective than on a PCP. The HC’s shorter cocking lever also makes it a little harder to cock than a standard MkIII.

-Marty
Thank you I appreciate it

Reactions: MartyMcFly
I kinda think money for accuracy the hw. Plenty of forum guys around to help with anything , maybe overwhelming ..lol . Though today's pricing and pre-order , out of stocks , not the bargain today. Just a bad time to buy .. then you never know if the availability and price comes back or it's a really no longer worth there asking price . There toeing that line in my opinion .. he seems to be really struggling at the moment hard. So how much blindeye in QC just to get any gun out right now..?

it's a really no longer worth there asking price .
Well with the cost of the new TXs that Pyramydair is trying to charge, they are absolutely not worth that price. I just picked up a pretty much brand new walnut TX200 with a scope for $525 shipped through the classifieds. That was just too good to pass up. Now I'm just waiting on the new TL kits to come in so I can have it sent out for a 22mm conversion for FT use.

Just my 2 cents but the HC isn't worth it over the full length. This is completely opinion based but the full length looks better and its easier to cock. The HC balances a hair better but not enough for me to really take it into account. As far as the moderator goes... meh. I think it kind of kills the looks and makes the gun too long.

Both are shot in our matches. Equal accuracy. Equal triggers. 97 a little less money. TX200 much nicer looking, I like walnut. Both stocks equally ill suited for shooting off the bench, but they still are very accurate. 25 yard 1/4 inch groups are predictable from both. Now that I have my Diana 54 tuned in I enjoy shooting it more than either the TX or 97.

I have a TX200 .177 in beech but I bought it because I thought it wouldn’t need tuned, as the HW97k does need a tune. Well the TX200 doesn’t twang but it does vibrate. I installed a Vortex piston seal and the TbT guide kit and kept the stock spring. Now the rectical doesn’t move off target and shoots the the JSB 10.3 at 13 ftlbs. It is very easy to break down, remove the stock and then one bolt to remove the trigger block and gain acces to the piston/comp tube, no spring compressor needed. The trigger is amazing and came set at 1.5lbs. It shoots under .25” groups at 25 yards.

The 97K from Krale would be a good deal and add the Vortek tune kit and your good to go. It does have barrel droop compared to the TX and is not as easy to breakdown but still no spring compressor needed.

If money is an issue get the HW97 from Krale. If money is not a big deal get the one you think looks better. The TX will be easier to take apart to swap springs and stuff. Both great. I shoot a TX but most of my spring rifles are HW. Had Krale been around, with their cheap HW prices, when I bought my TX I would be shooting a HW97. At the time they cost basically the same.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
My HW97K 177 is a shooter. I had ran several thousand pellets through it befor it got a new spring and a seal . But I do like nice wood. So tx in walnut Would be nice. Good luck. This comparison has been going on for years . I was in the same boat that you are in. I read thousands of threads finally one night flipped a coin, not disappointed with the HW 97K

My HW97K 177 is a shooter. I had ran several thousand pellets through it befor it got a new spring and a seal . But I do like nice wood. So tx in walnut Would be nice. Good luck. This comparison has been going on for years . I was in the same boat that you are in. I read thousands of threads finally one night flipped a coin, not disappointed with the HW 97K
yeah it seems that way. I had heard of the blue stock TX200 but cant seem to find one now or an aftermarket. Though I'm digging more. who knows maybe one of each lol. Though I was told to get two duplicates to always have one ready to go in case one goes down.

Reactions: Frogy
I have both, this question is one of the most asked questions in all of air gunning. The 97 is easier to load and more fun for me, it is also .22 which I like better than the .177.
The TX is easy to hold and for me feels better,it is also very accurate,it is not fun for me to load,if it was I would like it better than the 97.
Truth be told both are great springers...The price difference may be the deciding factor.
Also the 97 is bigger,I have the black thumbhole one, and my TX is a lefty Walnut.
Plinker, get the 97 then.
The second edit,plinker, the HW95 is a better plinker and in.20 can outshoot the other 2.
A blinker should be light and swing easily, hold steady, and be easy to load.
The 97 is a heavy swinger, the TX can be harder to load.
What I hear from you is more of a collector than a swinger.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: Orv
A different option. The Tx200 in Walnut will set you back around $900. The HW97 in Beechwood will be around $550. Both to your door. Both top quality. This is a $350 difference. Use the $350 difference, sell the Beechwood stock as a new takeoff (probably $200) and get a custom stock to your liking. One that also suits your application best. I prefer a Walnut stock. Got this one from CS Stocks LTD. That $550 paid for it. Many laminated stocks also available. Now your gun is custom made for you.
831D2241-0568-44D3-9377-C8C6BD12D4FA.jpeg

I have both, this question is one of the most asked questions in all of air gunning. The 97 is easier to load and more fun for me, it is also .22 which I like better than the .177.
The TX is easy to hold and for me feels better,it is also very accurate,it is not fun for me to load,if it was I would like it better than the 97.
Truth be told both are great springers...The price difference may be the deciding factor.
Also the 97 is bigger,I have the black thumbhole one, and my TX is a lefty Walnut.
Plinker, get the 97 then.
The second edit,plinker, the HW95 is a better plinker and in.20 can outshoot the other 2.
A blinker should be light and swing easily, hold steady, and be easy to load.
The 97 is a heavy swinger, the TX can be harder to load.
What I hear from you is more of a collector than a swinger.:ROFLMAO:
Not so much a collector, as each rifle has a purpose. Sadly where I'm at is more private lands so not as many places to hunt or varmit or just go into the woods and plink around with it.

They should’ve put bearing on the TX like the prosport