HW97 moderator, does it do anything?

I have a question on the HW97 in .22, it is available with an optional moderator. But since the velocity is under 800 fps, there is no sonic crack. Is the discharge quieter with the moderator? I always thought the sound in a springer was all from the powerplant thunking as the spring released. 

Where I live, I have a neighbor 30 yards on one side, and another 40 yards behind me. I am able to shoot an HW30s with no problem, but my R9 is a little too loud and would attract unwanted attention.

Reactions: merpo
As others have said, it does make a difference. When shooting in or outside, my .22 HW97K has noticeably less "crack" than my .177 D430L and my previous R9 .22 and now current D52 .22. Enough that I will at some point try to get one on the D52.

Thanks to the posters here, Motorhead and Knife especially, I wasn't afraid to take a propane torch to the barrel just behind the moderator to get it un-epoxied from the "factory". It took more than I thought it would, but it twisted off without a mark anywhere. Just make sure you have a welding glove on hand. There are 1/2x20 adapters, too, if you want to get them on ebay (as it seems impossible to actually get a HW97K brake end cap) so you can take the mod off and shorten the length. Either for carry, to try another moderator, or to lose it altogether and still have a finished end.

Reactions: pdxFrank
Glad I found this thread. I live in a densely populated area, but my backyard is a tree and foliage dense ravine that slopes steeply upward as it moves back. I feel like I could shoot without too much issue, but using a moderator like this would help. Interesting that it looked like 10 db drop in that guy's house and then only 3 db drop in that other guy's back yard. Go figure. For my situation it would be worth it.

Reactions: pdxFrank
oh, i'll participate in this fine zombie thread. :)

i can't speak for the4 HW97 (wish i could!), but in my limited experience, having a proper moderator does lower the report. a solid 10dB for me with a Donny FL koi on a walther parrus .177 break barrel. and a more consistent pop. may have even improved accuracy.

does make for a long gun, but if that doesn't matter, IMO keep the muffler, or add one if ya don't on other guns.

gl!

Reactions: shausen
Springers can definitely benefit from a moderator. I posted some test results a while back on GTA using a TX200HC. The rifle is comparable to the HW97K and should give similar results.

That being said, I’ve had much better results putting a moderator on a Walther LGV due to the lower mechanical noise of the LGV versus the TX200.

-Marty

PS. Unfortunately to view the GTA pictures and tables viewers need to be logged into that site.

Last edited:
Thanks Marty, that thread is pretty informative. Besides my neighbors, I suffer from debilitating tinnitus so I can't shoot any of my guns and recently discovered pellet guns. I see this as a way to enjoy something I thought I'd lost. I figure any extra noise suppression I can do will make it more pleasant for me.
If costs are not too much of a concern I think you might be better off with a PCP than a springer. A lot of the noise people experience from a springer is by conduction from the stock to the cheek bones, not a good thing for tinnitus. I have a PCP with a moderator that is more powerful than my springers and it is mouse fart quiet, I think it may serve you better unless you are like me and have a soft spot for traditional mechanical devices.

-Marty