HW97 K Accuracy

I bought a HW97 K from Krale and like the rifle except that the accuracy is inconsistent. I've fired over 500 rounds through it so hoped it would settle down.

I have a 20+ year old R7/HW30 S that consistently shoots under 0.5" and occasionally 0.25". Here is a photo of a 5 shot group at 25 meters:

R7 0.4 group.1644173706.png

The problem is that the HW 97 is consistently about 0.8" to 1.0" with an occasional group 0.5" and under. I expected to get 0.5" consistently based on the HW97 reputation for accuracy. Here is any image of some groups I shot today:

HW97 target Feb 6 22.1644173873.jpg

The groups are in order, left to right. In case it's hard to read, all are 5 shot groups at 25m with JSB Exact Diabolo 25 grain. I'm shooting off the same rest (Caldwell sand bag) as the R7. I've tried the following things:

Vary the rest: on the bag, on my hand and on a piece of foam rubber. The softer rests, my hand and the foam, work better. These groups were shot using the foam.

Vary my hold. I've used the same hold as the R7, a firmer hold and a looser hold. The R7 hold, a fairly loose artillery hold, was what I used to shoot the top left 0.4" group. It's also the hold I used with the next group, 0.8". The rest of the groups were shot with a variety of holds from very loose to fairly firm. One had 4 shots in 0.5" with a flyer. The rife seems to sometimes be putting 3 or 4 shots touching, then one or two flyers. Other times they're just scattered around. The orange dots are 0.75" in diameter.

Vary the receiver/front trigger guard screw tightness. One session I started with the screw tight (not as tight as I could get it but very firm), then loosened it 1/4 turn at time, fired 5 rounds to let the rifle settle in, then fired for group. The groups stayed about the same, 0.8" to 1.0" until I finally loosened it the the point that they got worse. Today I tightened it firmly and shot the 0.4" group.

I'm not the greatest shot in the world but my crosshairs were on the orange dot every time I fired. I couldn't tell anything different when I got the flyers with an otherwise good group.

Tried a variety of pellets. Air Arms 25 grain occasionally shot well, but the JSB 25 grain and 34 gr Exact Heavy Diabolo have been the most constant and produced the few good groups.

Adjusted the trigger so that it doesn't affect my shot, i.e. lightened it.

Made sure the stock screws are tight.

The scope is a Hawke Airmax 4-12 50mm and was on the R7 before this. I have no reason to believe that there's anything wrong with the scope. I've made sure that the mount and rings are tight.

I'm at my wits end. I've done everything I know of to improve a springer so I'm hoping someone will have some ideas based on the target and what I've described.

Thanks,

Scot

By the looks of your scope in your other post, you have a lot of hardware all bolted up together. This 97 is no R7. I would recommend getting a good 1 pc mount. Make sure the scope stop pin is fully inserted. Degrease all screws and use blue Loctite. Also try to get the scope closer to the receiver. ( more consistent head/eye placement)

3CFC6547-45BE-4E5C-8D80-776821779985.1644177007.jpeg

I run a UTG dovetail to picatinny adapter and picatinny rings on my 97s as well with no issues. Just keep shooting it and it will settle in. 500 shots may not be enough yet. I've had a few come from the factory over lubed and didn't settle down until after 1k shots. I don't play that game any more. New guns get torn down, cleaned and lubed, straight from the box.

Honestly your best bet at this point would be to install a Vortek HO kit. Thats typically always my first step. 25 cal is on odd caliber to have a 97K in (which I'm assuming yours is). You may need the extra juice that the HO kits put out. I know my 22 did.

Bear-of-Grayling

When I received the rifle I put Vortek extra high rings on it. They weren't high enough to clear the 50mm objective lens; it bore on the top of the receiver, i.e. put pressure on the end of the scope. Plus the rifle shot way low, 8"-10". I replaced the 50mm objective scope with a 40mm and it cleared the receiver. I made sure the scope was optically centered (it was brand new but I checked it) and the rifle still shot low.

That surprised me. I had no idea an underlever rifle would shoot low like a drooping break barrel. So I bought a UTG 10" at 25 yd. (about 40 moa) droop compensating ramp (11mm to Picatinny) and put Weaver Picatinny rings on it. The UTG mount has 4 screws holding it to the receiver and I double and triple checked that the ramp sat in the receiver grooves, then tightened it. It's remained as tight as I can get it with a hex wrench. It came with a hex screw that fits into one of the receiver stop pin holes and I tightened it also. The weaver rings are as tight as I can get them without stripping the screws.

The 50mm objective lens requires a high mount. I haven't found rings that mount on the receiver and are high enough for the scope to clear the receiver.

So that's why there is so much metal. The rifle shoots about 35-40 moa low at 25 meters and I don't want to put that much correction on the scope. With the ramp in place it was about 1-1/2" to 2" high at 25 m so I brought it down with adjustments.

So now I'm worried about the barrel and receiver being out of alignment. Is that much barrel droop normal/acceptable?

I'm pretty certain the scope mount is secure. I've checked the tightness of all the screws several times. I'd get rid of the ramp if there is another way to put in the 30+ moa low POI at 25 m.

Scot

pdxFrank

Thanks for the condolences. I've been happy with my Weibrauch HW30 for over 20 years so had faith in buying another based on my own experience as well as other people's opinions.

In terms of sending it back for a refund or replacement, that would be difficult since they aren't currently available from the factory. Plus I want to exhaust all possible solutions before I'd send it back as I don't know of a .25 springer that I'd rather have. I've had back luck with the cheaper ones.

Scot

I’m assuming with your pellet weight it’s a .25 caliber? You’re maybe pushing the 25gr to 530fps. The dwell time on the shot cycle is very long. Any discrepancy on follow through will throw those pellets all over the place

Exactly. Either an HO kit needs to be installed or lighter pellets. The 97K does very well at 18fpe. OP needs to take advantage of that.

Reactions: redauwg911
I chronographed the pellets I used. I had better groups then with the JSB pellets than I'm getting now, which doesn't make sense because I've put several hundred more pellets through it.

Here is a a table with chrono results. The lighter weight pellets were much less accurate.

HW97 K Chronograph Results, Jan 28, 2022 by Azscot

5 shot strings at 25 meters, CED Millenium Chronograph

I'll put the 4-12 40mm scope back on it to see if that makes a difference.

Scot

Hey Scot. Try rigging something on the top of your comb that brings your head up. Bring your head up high enough that you find it difficult to get a perfect view. This will insure you are getting the same head placement between cocking and shooting. If this helps then you need to add a stock riser pad to your comb. Maybe lower the scope or both.

seangabrell is exactly right. The shot time at those speeds is not optimal. Your follow through has to be absolutely perfect every time. A Vortek kit will help increase the speed and calm the behavior. Win win!

Do not give up on the gun. This is what we’re talking about that makes one a better marksman.

Instead of getting different attachmentS for the mount, just buy a fully adjustable Sportsmatch mount, one and done, no issues, just optical center your scope and use the mount to get it close then fine tune your O with the turrets. Whether you buy a kit or just do a simple tune with the factory parts to get the rifle shooting well can make a big difference!!!! After the scope is set and rifle performs correctly, it becomes pellet choice and shooting form. Unless I am custom tunning for a reason, I use the factory spring and piston seal if they are good. You might check the barrel crown and see if there is a burr, and check the lead in the breech area. Both of these areas are critical to make the pellet perform properly. Had a very slight burr in both areas on my new TX and groupscwere only fair, but after recrowning and deburring the breech the accuracy is awesome!!! Sometimes it takes a number of steps to find what makes the gun shoot well. Have to do one at a time and do each step right to know what is working and what isnt.