• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
Depends on what you are hunting, you must make sure you're making contact with enough fpe and of course accuracy to take game cleanly. Zero range can be looked at 2 different ways in my opinion, either sight in for what yardage you will shoot the most or look into a ballistics program such as Chairgun to see what the "optimal zero" is based on pellet, fps, scope height etc.

Depends on what you are hunting, you must make sure you're making contact with enough fpe and of course accuracy to take game cleanly. Zero range can be looked at 2 different ways in my opinion, either sight in for what yardage you will shoot the most or look into a ballistics program such as Chairgun to see what the "optimal zero" is based on pellet, fps, scope height etc.

I will be scouting the national forest for squirrels in oaks and rabbit

Question. Does anyone recommend tuning a HW95 out of the box? I live in Alaska and about to order one. From a shipping point of view it would make sense to send direct to the person who would tune it and then to Alaska. That would save shipping cost in the long run, but wondering if it is worth the money with the supposed quality of this gun. Thanks. 

My HW95L .22 is stock and less than 2.5K shots. From suggestions on this forum I have NOT tuned it yet nor do I plan to in the near future. The rifle is a tack driver and lots of fun to shoot. I did upgrade the scope to a Hawke 4-16 x 44 mm, IR, SF model. I would suggest that you shoot and get to know your rifle before you consider a tune which you can do yourself at a later date if you want. JMHO & I am North of 80 and shot this 7 pellet group at 25 yards yesterday from my back deck. Large circle = 2".

6 shots 2-23-2021  25 yards.1614202145.jpg

I haven't touched my hw95l .22 as far as internals and it shoots really good groups out to 40. Here is a 25 yards group. And I have a vortek pg2 kit but haven't felt the need to install.

Same here. Both of my HW95s are still stock. I have a .177 the other is a .22 and they both will shoot as close as I can hold. I don't feel any need to have them tuned. If you pay out the big bucks for a quality air rifle you should not have to spend more money changing out the internal parts before you start shooting it. As others already recommended at least let the rifle break in before making a decision on doing a tune.

Those 15.89gr JSBs do great in my .22 also.

Thanks. I read a reply on a similar subject from a while ago that said it would void the warranty from AOA. That probably would be enough reason to not tune.

Most companies are that way. If you open the gun, you void your warranty but you'll find a lot of shooters don't mind and tune themselves. On the flip side, if you're planning to have it tuned down the road by a pro tuner someday anyway, then yep, having it sent straight to a tuner and the work done now would save you the back and forth shipping costs down the road. I know of more than a few across several forums who do exactly that.

For what little it's worth, I have one in .22, bought 4 years ago. Decision at the time was just to get it, shoot it, enjoy it considering what I was paying for it and always said no one should have to. 2 years later my own thoughts have changed to shoot a tin or 2, get a feel for every last thing about the rifle and then decide whether you want to or not. If nothing else, you'll definitely get to feel the before and after difference a tune can make and should you choose to try tuning yourself, there are plenty of people here that will happily help walk you through every step of doing it.

Do what makes you happy :)