HW95 vs HW98?, Just Because Battles are Trending

Some random thoughts. 

The HW98 is the last Weirauch that I'd like to try. Out of a handful of HW springers that I have tried, an HW50s is the one that stuck around. My HW50s is like a mini HW98 with a barrel sleeve and adjustable buttpad. That barrel sleeve really helps with accuracy. The extra couple FPE with the 95/98 family, over the 50s, is what has me interested. 

I've held an HW98 and that stock is NICE. I'm not sure I love the looks either, but it sure feels good when shouldered, and I suspect could be made to feel even better, with the stock adjustments. 

As for the .20, very cool caliber. My Raptor is a .20 and it has shot the best large count group I've ever shot. (Yes I know, mentioning a PCP on the springer forum.....but it's the caliber that's semi relevant).

I've posted the same pic elsewhere, but this is 21 shots at 55 yards at around 24-25fpe with the 13.73gr JSB from the Raptor. 
1581826400_9339640715e48c160f12da0.30778700_IMG_20191221_153918.jpg
1581826401_51895235e48c161c20353.55541930_IMG_20191221_153042.jpg

Made me a .20 believer.

Why would you post PCP results in a springer forum/thread? I can do dime size groups w/ my $$$$$ .30 impact at 75 & 85 yds all day long, but those have no business here.

Or am I missing something?

Regarding the PM from oldspook and Monstermax's most recent post.......

Yes, you are missing something. Please read the OP's first post and request for opinions.

He asked the following, "......I’m thinking of going .20..........Opinions on the caliber choice also welcome. Snarky or uncalled for remarks are not."

Maybe pay special attention to the last line. 

(Yes, PCP's are easier to shoot than spring guns. You won't find a fight with me about that. I shoot higher volumes of pellets through springers than I do PCPs. The reason I included the PCP group is because it came from a .20. The guy asked about the caliber choice. I feel that it is a good caliber, capable of great accuracy. As I stated in the post in question, the best large count group I have ever shot came from a .20. This was simply support for the OPs consideration of buying the gun in .20, not the typical "PCPs are better" junk we springer shooters often deal with on the forums.)

All, I appreciate all the feedback on this thread. I think I want to the the 95 in .20, but of coarse the one I really want is not available. More specifically the Beeman R9, will post pic below. I may put out a Want It add for one and see what may be out there. I actually let one in the Classifies slip by me a while ago, should have picked it up while I had the chance, but that's life.

I really enjoy the sport and I love hanging out here and sharing ideas with ya'll. I really like to keep things friendly, which is why I said what I said. There was recently another thread that I started that had someone come in and add a very uncalled for remark. 

@franklink I do appreciate the feedback on the cal. I did mean for it to be specific to Spring guns though as PCPs are in a class of their own. I am sorry I was not specific about that. 

@franklink I do appreciate the feedback on the cal. I did mean for it to be specific to Spring guns though as PCPs are in a class of their own. I am sorry I was not specific about that.

In that case.......I owned a Beeman RX2 for awhile, in .20. For those unfamiliar, it is a gas ram and basically an HW90 with a laminate stock. For the purposes of this discussion, a .20 HW barrel like you would get on your R9 or HW95. It was excellent with all three of the best .20 pellets currently available (Daystate Sovereign 11.42- that are just rebranded H&Ns, JSB 13.73, and JSB 15.89). The previous owner told me he would shoot paintballs at 55 yards. I could not get it do that consistently but that probably tells more about my lack of springer shooting abilities than any faults with the gun. An above-average 55 yard, 5 shot group from myself would put 3, and sometimes 4, into a 1inch group, with the last 1 or 2 stretching the overall group size to 1.5-2 inches overall. It was a tough gun to shoot well. 

Your title about "battles trending," sure proved to be true. 😉 Good luck in your choice. 

All, I appreciate all the feedback on this thread. I think I want to the the 95 in .20, but of coarse the one I really want is not available. More specifically the Beeman R9, will post pic below. I may put out a Want It add for one and see what may be out there. I actually let one in the Classifies slip by me a while ago, should have picked it up while I had the chance, but that's life.

I really enjoy the sport and I love hanging out here and sharing ideas with ya'll. I really like to keep things friendly, which is why I said what I said. There was recently another thread that I started that had someone come in and add a very uncalled for remark. 

Straight Shooters has the R9 .20 in stock

http://www.straightshooters.com/beeman-r9-.20-beech.html

Also AOA has the 95 Luxus in .20

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/weihrauch-hw95-luxus-.20/

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I like that version of the R9 also.

To my knowledge that version is not available anymore, I looked for one myself.

But you can make your own, I just bought the current version R9, removed the sights and added a muzzle brake.

The only obvious difference is the screw holes for the rear sight, and I plugged those.

No, I should have attached the picture I said I would. Gonna see if I can land one first before I go that route. I'm kinda of a snob that way. I guess I like what I like and if I'm gonna pay good money for it, might as well try and get what I want/like. Thanks again. 

I stand well and properly corrected.

Although I do notice that the OP himself gave the best reasons for not getting anything in .20. The reasons which are pretty much universally cited when this question comes up. Mind you I personally like the caliber, even have a .20 LW barrel for my Condor sitting on the shelf in deference to a .25 LW for the very reasons he gave ...

Which are :

"Between mixed opinions, higher costs, & poor selection of ammo, I have avoided getting one."

My not snarky opinion is; avoid the .20 unless you just want something which is neither fish nor foul, which might shoot nice groups but has precious little additional attraction because PCP's won't get a whole lot more out of a .20 than a .177 although a springer might if you were limited to one rifle and could find a good pellet at a reasonable price which can no doubt be done. But even if yo do, the selection remains limited at best.

I still think braggin' on PCP groups in the springer forum is in poor taste. My cheap Stormrider will turn in what would be considered nice groups for a springer with almost any pellet. Just the nature of a PCP, isn't it? Perhaps someone has some springer groups shot with a .20 rifle, say one of the GREAT classic Beemans or Weirauch rifles in .20 they would post? I am confident they would also be impressive.

No doubt your mileage may vary 😁

Reactions: intenseaty22
Sorry, I misunderstood.

I like that version of the R9 also.

To my knowledge that version is not available anymore, I looked for one myself.

But you can make your own, I just bought the current version R9, removed the sights and added a muzzle brake.

The only obvious difference is the screw holes for the rear sight, and I plugged those.

No, I should have attached the picture I said I would. Gonna see if I can land one first before I go that route. I'm kinda of a snob that way. I guess I like what I like and if I'm gonna pay good money for it, might as well try and get what I want/like. Thanks again. 

8jxbW5i.jpg
[/url][/img]

R9 on left, HW30 Deluxe on right .