• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch HW95 vs HW85 vs HW80

Already looking for another gun, I love my R9 in .177 caliber, I wanted a .22 so I got a Hatsan and dislike it because I can't seem to get good groups.
So, Is the HW85 the same as the 95 or does it have less power.
The HW80 has more power but will it be less accurate than the 95 due to more recoil. Also for those who have shot both HW80 and Hatsan MOD 65, how do that compare in recoil?
Also noticed the FPS is different from site to site.
Krale has the more HW's than other sites, are they a reputable company to buy from.

Already looking for another gun, I love my R9 in .177 caliber, I wanted a .22 so I got a Hatsan and dislike it because I can't seem to get good groups.
The HW80 has more power but will it be less accurate than the 95 due to more recoil. Also for those who have shot both HW80 and Hatsan MOD 65, how do that compare in recoil?
Krale has the more HW's than other sites, are they a reputable company to buy from.
I don’t have the HW80. I went another direction. I got the HW90 love it. also have the Hatsan.65 Hate it. It not even in the same league As a crosman

I bought a new R1 carbine 22cal, basically same as a HW80 and with the right pellet which happened to be H&N FTT 14.66 it would group into a dime at 25 yards. It was bone stock out of the box with just a barrel clean. I had bought a JM kit and seals but never tuned it, I sold it because I like .177 better. Some HW 22cal barrels are hit and miss, a lot of oversize ones or so I hear. Mine surprised me with the H&N pellet.

I have a HW80 in .177 and it's dead nutz accurate. Love that gun, but looking back, I wish I would have got the .22. I don't have a .22 and would just like to have one. Squirrels won't know the difference though!

I have bought several guns from Krale and never had a problem. Shipping speed is amazing from the Netherlands. Three days to my door in Montana every time.

Krale is excellent. I've bought several guns from them. The 85 and 95 are the same gun but the 85 has a longer barrel. That's only a positive if you want easier cocking.

The 80 is more powerful. It comes in both barrel lengths. The 80K is the shorter barrel. It will be a bit of a hump to cock. The 80 is noticeably heavier and the additional power can make it harder to shoot accurately. Still a nice gun that's best suited to 22. It's just heavier, harder to cock and will require more practice than the 95/85 guns

Krale is excellent. I've bought several guns from them. The 85 and 95 are the same gun but the 85 has a longer barrel. That's only a positive if you want easier cocking.

The 80 is more powerful. It comes in both barrel lengths. The 80K is the shorter barrel. It will be a bit of a hump to cock. The 80 is noticeably heavier and the additional power can make it harder to shoot accurately. Still a nice gun that's best suited to 22. It's just heavier, harder to cock and will require more practice than the 95/85 guns
I did want the extra power for .22 but since it will be harder to cock, I'll pass on it. The Hatsan is hard to cock for me, a few times one handed then both hands from there out. My R9 .177 I can cock 50 times or more one handed.

Get a HW95 or a HW98 (same power plant, nicer stock and barrel sleeve) in .22.

Another vote for Krale. Very good customer service and fast shipping. I suggest price shopping around. With the current state of the dollar it might it might be cheaper from Airguns of Arizona.

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
Having owned several of each over the years in my humble opinion I honestly dont think the 95 is a match for the 80. On its own the 95 is a very high quality piece but side by side the heavier build of the 80 just makes for a nicer shot cycle in out of the box condition. 80K carbine models were scarce in the US over the years but since the introduction of the latest stock style the carbines are readily available, Making for a compact powerhouse. I dont think you will notice much difference in cocking effort between the 95 and 80. There is no difference in cocking effort between .177 and .22 making .22 the Best choice for the 80 as its piston volume is wasted in .177. Attached is my vintage 80K in .25

IMG_1026.jpeg

Last edited:
Thing about this question is. You give 10 different people any one these guns and would probably get 10 different opinions from each . .. kinda loaded..

Of the hw's the only consideration for me would be .22 on the slightly stronger 80.. still stick .177 on the 85.
My HW95 and 98 both in 22 caliber are my all time favorite HW magnums.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Krale is very credible. If damage occurs in transportation it could be a problem. Never has to me but heard of others. I think it’s when U.S Customs opens and repacks. What we have come to expect from our government.
Also, I have had countless R1/HW80’s spanning over four decades. All gone. To heavy for what little extra power they deliver over the R9/HW95. And they just shoot “harder to group” than the R9/HW95,98,85. At least for me.

Krale is very credible. If damage occurs in transportation it could be a problem. Never has to me but heard of others. I think it’s when U.S Customs opens and repacks. What we have come to expect from our government.
Also, I have had countless R1/HW80’s spanning over four decades. All gone. To heavy for what little extra power they deliver over the R9/HW95. And they just shoot “harder to group” than the R9/HW95,98,85. At least for me.
These monopoly run usa distributor shops keep jacking pricing . But get a lemon or damaged gun from overseas at a better price can be costly

I have to admit that I am not a magnum springer fan. I tried my friend's R1 .177 and it is a handful. Cocking effort and shot cycle are a little higher than I prefer.

The HW95, HW85, HW77, HW97, HW98 all share the same power plant. With the right tuning it has a very easy cocking effort and the shot cycle is a smooth thunk.

I recommend the HW95 as the best starter rifle. Will tell you all you need to know about the Weihrauch brand.

These monopoly run usa distributor shops keep jacking pricing . But get a lemon or damaged gun from overseas at a better price can be costly
I have gotten several from Krale. Every box looked like it went through a war. They did not double box. I was cringing when opening. All were fine however.