N/A HW95 Tune From Dealer

Still thinking of an HW95 in either .20 or .22. AOA says they can install a Vortex Kit for $259.
Is it worth it?
They said one is as accurate as the other, ragged hole at 20 or 25 yards, that's what I can do my R9 .177.
AOA has the Hunter in stock now but kind of want to get a different scope.
Just had a thought, get the Diana Model 34 and get the tune on it. Maybe I'd like it and it's cheaper.

Reactions: beerthief
AOA warranty is worth something , if you have any problems with it. They will send you a shipping label for return and cover cost for repair. I like the 95 in 20 cal but have them in all 3 calibers and they all shoot great. The 34 in 177 t01 trigger is a good handling rifle but I don’t have much trigger time with it yet because I’m still healing up from back surgery. Get 1 of each and sell the one you don’t like.

Reactions: Mycapt65
My suggestion is to get an ARH kit with a Vortek seal and install them yourself in your NEW 95 from AoA. That is what I did & I am North of 80, easy peasy. My 95 was built during the Wuhan China Virus time when inexperienced folks at Weihrauch over oiled/greased the rifle during manufacture. This is the damaged by dieseling or detonation seal. ARH kits are excellent along with Vortek seals. The AoA tune seems a little high to me.

p4th2fpl.jpg

My rifle is accurate and sometimes I can shoot MOA at 25 yards but not always. The average, after about 9K shots, is 17 FPE using the FTT 14.66 gr .22 pellets.

5 at 25 from a table with bags.

8eBypd3l.jpg

Last edited:
I have a pair of 34's. Older .177 T01 and a newer custom built by Diana D34K Premium .20 caliber. Both are very nice shooters and like anything else, just get better with some TLC and not one bit hard to do if you want to save yourself some bucks.
Also own both an HW95 .22 and Beeman R9 .20. Both also very nice shooters and both still factory stock although way back when I bought the 95, I did buy the Vortek PG2 HO kit I still have new in the parts box to fit either. The 95/R9 have a slight edge powerwise but only about 1 and a half fpe.
just my own random lame opinion, but a 95/R9 in .20 caliber will always be very well worth it :)

Still thinking of an HW95 in either .20 or .22. AOA says they can install a Vortex Kit for $259.
Is it worth it?
They said one is as accurate as the other, ragged hole at 20 or 25 yards, that's what I can do my R9 .177.
AOA has the Hunter in stock now but kind of want to get a different scope.
Just had a thought, get the Diana Model 34 and get the tune on it. Maybe I'd like it and it's cheaper.
Hey Diddy,
While putting in a ARH or Vortek kit or just a spring/piston seal is good medicine, I'd never pay someone else to do it for $259 - that's crazy o_O .

While doing a complete tune on a HW95, I simply use a ARH spring ($20) and OEM piston seal.
Learn to tune the gun yourself and not only save $259, but do other tuning mods which are likely 2x as important as just using a kit.
- Debur receiver - AOA's not going to do that.
- Make or buy a Top-Hat if not provided - "" ""
- Tune the Trigger + clean up Piston Sear Contact - "" ""
- Lube the Internals - "" ""
- Check Spring Guide tightness - "" ""
- Cross Hatch Receiver Tube - "" ""

The fee charged is almost as much as a HW30S - just think how much you save for other guns.

Airgun tuning is NOT rocket science ..........

- Now if this is your only gun and you don't what to fiddle with it - then OK :)

Last edited:
I don't know. I do my own and it cost less. People send me theirs and the same kit plus piston seal plus shipping both ways is gonna cost at least the same as AoA gets. The Vortek kit won't improve accuracy but it'll make the gun ahell of a lot nicer to shoot and the spring and piston seal will last longer.

Hey Ron,
Not to diminish anything you do ;) ... I'm sure you do Primo tunes vs. AOA, .... but your right - with shipping etc. it gets costly ....
All the reason why this sport can get expensive unless you have $$$$$ or want to spend a little time learning/discovering.

Ideally, you can do the basics yourself and can farm out tricky issues - or just ask/Google the problem.
Without the internet, I wouldn't be tuning airguns as I've learned most everything in the last 10 years.

Last edited:
I am a reluctant mechanic on my best days. I tuned one rifle, my HW77. It turned out OK and shoots at 18 fpe. It took me forever with a lot of trail and error. I eventually ended up taking it over to a friend's house to finish it. I did not enjoy the experience, I would rather shoot than fight with a german rifle and moly grease.

I have two rifles tuned by AoA. My HW95 .20 and my HW97k .20. Both were tuned by Kip and have a full warranty. Both rifles shoot very well and I consider the cost part of the "buy once, cry once" experience. They are heirloom quality rifles.

Call me crazy but I think the price is worth it. Both rifles have been trouble free and are very accurate. I have an HW30 on order and will have Kip work his magic on it as well. Third time is a charm. YMMV

Once the gun is opened up, the warranty is void. If AOA does the work, is the warranty still good? With having them do the work up front, there is no chance to shoot it and check for issues.
Yeah, if AOA does the work, I'm sure they would continue to back the warranty - otherwise they're on the hook for voiding it.
This would not be good partnering with Weihrauch and doesn't make sense for anything to be voided.
If a person bought a Weihrauch from a distributor, the manufacturer would have warranty work sent back through them and not Germany.

Once the gun is opened up, the warranty is void. If AOA does the work, is the warranty still good? With having them do the work up front, there is no chance to shoot it and check for issues.
That's an excellent point. I always inspect and shoot guns for waranteeable issues like accuracy before kitting them. Several years ago I learned the hard way with two 77s with bad barrels.

I've also opened up a few new guns lately and found problems internally on six of the last seven. Some easily fixed during the tune, some disappointing but not fatal and a couple of that were unfixable. Those last two were reassembled as new and returned to the distributor as per their satisfaction guarantee. One was exchanged as defective and the other was issued a refund as there were no others in stock to replace.

If you're good with the right tools you can get them apart and back together without evidence of being apart.

If it were me starting out, I would put some more money with that $259 and buy a scope. Then I would figure out the rest as I went along. I'm picky about my stuff, so I'm doing my own work.
I was going to order the Hunter that comes with a scope because they have it in stock now. I plan on putting it on my HW50s and buy an Athlon to go on the new rifle. The 50s has some twang to if so I would probably be ok with it stock.

I've put "kits" in my Hw50 .20 and my Hw95 .22 both ARH, I installed a plastic piston sleeve in both and deburred and cleaned, using appropriate amount of lubes, no trigger adjustments. Both shoot nice with no twang. That said, Mycapt65 has installed kits and tuned both my Hw30's, a Hw35 .177 and my favorite Hw98 .20. All four just seem to shoot a little nicer and the triggers are much nicer:unsure:.