• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW95 Prep Before Shooting

Ok, I'm going to get my HW95 out this afternoon for my first test shots. I have a question regarding any special steps I should take before I start shooting? The rifle is new from AoA and they sighted in the scope. I realize that I will have to recheck zero, and there's no problem there. I've done lots of work on powder burners.

My question is with regards to the peculiarities of a spring piston air rifle. Do I need to Loctite the scope mounts? Do I need to Loctite any action to stock screws? Etc. I don't think that I need to disassemble the piston system because I had AoA to install a Vortek kit, and I hear they do a very good job on setups. I have all types of Loctite, but I thought I'd start with blue. Just wondering about what I should do before I fire the first pellet.

Thanks,

Chris

I would ask AOA whether they loc-tited everything or not. I would assume not. 

In that case, I second what ajshoots said, but would also add that when you take the screws out to loctite them, also clean them with alcohol first. If the screws or threads in the gun have oil in them, the loctite may not adhere properly. Cleaning the screw holes is not as easy.

I think you'll find it's pretty well set-up, right out of the box. 

One other thing: it'll be hard, but try not to judge accuracy right away. It may amaze you right out of the box, but it may not, too. For the first hundred rounds, I'd probably shoot some cheap pellets. Maybe Walmart Crosman Premiers or RWS Supermag wadcutters or RWS Superdome. After that, it'll get better and better (assuming nothing shoots loose) for the next 500 rounds or so.

I don't use loctite but I do clean threads with acetone and then put screws back . I don't like loctite unless I'm POSITIVE I can get the screw back out . I've had one too many trips to a machine shop to have a screw drilled and easy outted . The 95 isn't a real hard kicked but make a witness mark where rings are to make sure they aren't slipping .
And POST GROUPS AND PICS !!

Reactions: Major
It is expected/normal for a new springer to diesel when its brand new. The scant amount of factory lube that remains in the compression cylinder self ignites from the pressure spike of the piston. May take 20, 50, or 200 shots or so........but eventually it will burn off and settle in. It will then be more accurate and much quieter. Just shoot it and have fun for 200 or 300 rounds.