• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning HW95 piston liner needed?

So, still trying to get my HW95 to work.

I'm giving up on the Vortek PG4 kit.

I have an ARH kit to try out.

However, in the saga of the PG4 kit, I have a total of 3 pistons, and none of them have the original piston liner anymore, from trying the PG4 kit.

Do I need to get a new piston (again!?!?!) or a liner, or make some sort of liner? I've heard about the 2 liter bottle plastic, is that a long term solution?

Thanks!

I personally put a plastic piston liner in all my rifles that have a JM kit in them. I think taking up the extra space around the spring is a good thing. Certainly it won't hurt anything as long as the thickness of the liner doesn't make the spring tight in the liner. The spring expands slightly when loaded so the spring should slide in the liner with little resistance. Everyone has their own thoughts on this.

You don't need a liner. Or a new piston. Drop it in properly lubed and go. 

I like to use a liner made out of PTFE sheet, but it's not necessary for a good shooting gun. It takes out any little bit of remaining buzz, and the spring can be ran basically dry which I like for reducing any temp sensitivity. 

It doesn't make enough difference to fret over. 

so the 20 mil ptfe sheet is way too thick and wouldn't fit without a lot of pressure on the spring.

i put it back together without a piston liner - just painted a thin layer of m77 on the spring, and I can hear/feel the cocking shoe drag across the spring. I guess it is not a new style cocking shoe, and doesn't like any new springs. I guess I'll try and find one somewhere, or maybe just send it to someone to tune. I am fully frustrated with it at this point.