HW95 Peep Sight Height Questions

I am hoping to mount a peep sight on my new HW95 .177 - which is my first springer. A scope may be added later but I planned to use irons for a while, and a peep with front post is preferred - a combination that I have used on several boomsticks.

With the factory rear notch sight zeroed dead on at 10 meters with H&N 8.64g pellets (Chronographed at 854 fps), the rear sight notch is ~ 13/16" higher than the scope rails. I assume that a peep sight needs to be at least the same height.

The gun does appear to have some barrel droop. When securing it in a vase and leveling the scope rails, the barrel angles downward approximately one degree. It does not appear to be bent when checked with straight edge. When closed, a 0.008" shim fits in the gap a the top of the breech. A 0.002" shim fits between the cocking arm and breech block. Not sure what is typical for these measurements.

And now for the questions:
1. Does the Williams FP-AG have enough vertical adjustment?
2. Will this sight need to be pinned to prevent movement on a 14fpe rifle?

Feedback is welcome!

When the barrel is closed can you wiggle the cocking arm? If not it may be interfering with the breech block. Many new HW95’s have had this issue. My new HW98 had this issue too. This interference will prevent proper lock up and give you barrel droop.
so .... how does one fix this ?

Also depending on stock you may have a hard time getting the sights aligned with your eye. The Luxus stocks have a very high comb. I couldn't get a comfortable sight line with my Hw95 Luxus and peep sights. The Luxus stock is better suited for scope use. The basic Hw95 stock works better for open/peep sights.
When the barrel is closed can you wiggle the cocking arm? If not it may be interfering with the breech block. Many new HW95’s have had this issue. My new HW98 had this issue too. This interference will prevent proper lock up and give you barrel droop.
From the OP:

I just checked and can't wiggle the cocking arm with barrel closed. Will look into the thread on how to correct. It is a new gun purchased from Airguns of Arizona.

This is a standard HW95 not Luxus. I have been shooting it with the factory sights and the stock fit is OK for me.

My HW95 was bought new from AOA last year. I also had barrel droop and could not wiggle the cocking arm. I called Mycapt65 and he walked me through the repair bending the cocking arm. My HW95 is awesome now with no excessive barrel droop. The cocking arm is loose (correctly) and the lock-up is consistent. The groups on paper are small now and the standard velocity deviation is minute.

This is a standard HW95 not Luxus. I have been shooting it with the factory sights and the stock fit is OK for me.
The line-of-sight is established solely by the trajectory of a given pellet at a given distance, and the height of the front sight above the bore. This is not changed by the rear sight; stock fit will be exactly the same with a peep. (A good "old-timer's" trick is to align the peep with the open rear sight before removing the latter; only minor fine-tuning should then be needed.)

Lay the gun on its side with a straightedge connecting the top of the front and rear sights and extending to the rear. You should be able to roughly measure how high the center of the aperture needs to be above the receiver. It will be slightly higher than the open rear sight.

8EF1FD01-05CC-4AFE-9881-1BE35D90A311.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: fishing43
The line-of-sight is established solely by the trajectory of a given pellet at a given distance, and the height of the front sight above the bore. This is not changed by the rear sight; stock fit will be exactly the same with a peep. (A good "old-timer's" trick is to align the peep with the open rear sight before removing the latter; only minor fine-tuning should then be needed.)

Lay the gun on its side with a straightedge connecting the top of the front and rear sights and extending to the rear. You should be able to roughly measure how high the center of the aperture needs to be above the receiver. It will be slightly higher than the open rear sight.

View attachment 303822
Thanks! I'll check this out.

If you're new to the gang - well first of all welcome! - you might enjoy this recent thread here, which discusses some other aperture sight options:

Mr.Driscoll is very knowledgeable and is my most respected airgun person. He's correct that the front sight height determines the sight line regardless the position and type of rear sight.

Many newer Hw95s and R9 family guns suffer from barrel droop from cocking arm interference. The effects aren't really noticeable until you mount a scope or peep sighted on the receiver.

With droop the factory sights may in fact work fine with a current Luxus /R9 stock because the droop lifts your face off the comb.

With droop corrected which is necessary for repeatable lockup with receiver mounted sighting systems the Luxus stock is difficult for many to use with peep sights. Correcting the droop basically makes the sight line too low, making the comb too high. You basically have to cant the gun or smoosh your face into the stock to get proper alignment. Neither is good for accuracy.

Here's a picture that shows the difference.
Left - Standard Hw95 stock
Right - Hw95 Luxus/late model R9 stock.

I've been down this road with more than a few guns. Unless you have an unusually thin face you will likely need to raise both your front sight and rear peep sight if you have a droop corrected late model Hw95L/R9. Unfortunately after extensive searching I have yet to find a riser kit that fits the front sight dovetail.

20221108_140931.jpg

Last edited:
From the OP:

A BIG THANKS for all of the great information! I have learned a lot and would not have figured out on my own that the cocking arm was most likely a major contributor to barrel droop.

Fortunately my face is thin and currently do not need a lot of cheek pressure on the comb. Will need to see what happens after the droop is resolved.

With respect to sight risers, I have a machinist buddy that runs a small side business with his CNC mill. One of his focus areas is firearm parts. I know that he has made some specialized scope mounts. If someone has a sketch of a sight riser, I would be happy to discuss it with him. Even better if more folks need them.