• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW95 or HW50.

I have Diana 34 Diana 48 an a hw 97K all in 177 cal , looking to to add to the collection looking at HW 50s an hw95 in 177 cal . I don't hunt with my springers . so I know the 95 is in the same power as the 97 . but is the 50 a weakling my shooting range is out to 125 yards.. but will the 50 be a good 40 to 50 yard gun ? an one more thing trying to get wife into shooting , is the 50 a good choice ?

Reactions: Bolillo
I have both,I like the HW 95better.Now for your wife,how does she like the 34? I think a HW30 or R-7 better suited for her.
My 52 which is like a 48 is big and powerful,the HW 97 almost the same.The 50s is good to.
You are going to have some overlap in your springers,that is why I am suggested something less heavy and easier cocking for your Wife....or get the 50s and put a JM plinking spring kit in it.
All those springs are good ones.

Don't think the 50 or 95 will buy you anything better than the 34 or 48. Are the HW better built rifles, yes but work in the same effective range. Now if you wanted an easier to shoot rifle then would lean towards the HW30 or possibly the 50 as an all day plinker. I have 34's, 48-54, 97's, 95, and 30...The one I enjoy the most is the HW30. Easier to cock, easier to load, easier to shoot.

I like the 50S. I find it a bit less hold sensitive than the 95 and even at sub 12fpe, I have no problem hitting targets at 70yds with mine. In all honesty, its probably one of my favorite guns to shoot. The size/weight/balance of the gun just makes it shoulder very, very well for me (I'm on the smaller side, 5'7", 145lbs) I wouldn't quite call it HW97K accurate BUT it does keep up pretty darn well.

Reactions: Frogy and Bolillo
I have a Hw95 a Hw50 and three Hw30s. All of them in 177. One of Hw30s is the wife's and she much prefers it to my Hw50. Regardless of the specifications the 50 is about as hard to cock as the 95.
We've shot all three types out to hundred yard's at empty beer cans and plates when the wind is down.

The Hw95 was my first real air rifle and is a great gun. It's a Lazer beam. I use my Hw50 for carrying around the woods. It has adequate power for squirrels within 40 yards and is lighter and easier to shoot offhand than the Hw95.

My first Hw30 was my second real air gun. I enjoyed shooting it so much both with peeps and scoped I bought a second because I got tired of flip flopping between the two sighting systems. The wife and I used to shoot powder guns a lot and I got her a Hw30 when cartridge ammo prices got ridiculous. She's very happy with it.

Out of the three types the only gun I'll use for 50 yard groups is my Hw95. That said I giggle like crazy using the Hw30 on plates and beer cans out to a hundred. It's by far my favorite rifle. Including powder burners.

20210425_125525.jpg

20220705_154350.jpg

Hw 50 on the left, 30 on the right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bolillo and Frogy
The questions are:
- Do you want a more manageable gun to shoot out to 50 yards?
If yes, get a HW50s in .177 caliber.

- Do you want a more powerful gun, which is less manageable to go to 75 yards?
If yes, get a HW95L in .177 caliber.

How did ease of cocking for the Wife/Girlfriend get injected to the OP's question?
From the tail end of the OP, "an one more thing trying to get wife into shooting , is the 50 a good choice ?"