HW95 field pro 177 cal, update

After everything you say I don't know how you could say " I like the gun " !
Well i like mine now alot, but i should not have to "fix" it new out of the box to make it so.. and today there like 50-100$ more then before.?.?. I expect pristine issue free new out of the box not somthing throwed together with whatever handy to fill a order.. heck it was like i was getting used refrrb stuff not new ..lol.

Thing is now i question my next gun order from P.A that r9 deal kinda shot my confidence/ trust in them today .

I hate to hear about your problems with the HW95 Field Pro .177. I have the same rifle. I purchased it last year from AOA. So far no issues with the rifle or Weihrauch scope. I knocked off two starlings last year at almost 50 yards with the Field Pro .177. The longest starling kill shots I've ever made. The rifle is very smooth and accurate.

You haven't bought enough Weihrauchs lately then. Four of the last four Weihrauch guns I tuned had "Defects". Three of them were brand new. One was a year old. One was unfixable. All of them assembled sloppily with too much lube. Three with cut piston seals. The last 5 guns I did, all post 2021 guns the tubing seam in the compression tube was visible and ran the full length of the compression tube ID. Not great for cylinder sealing. Quality control has been down since a year or two Pre-covid and worse since covid.

Basically almost all the guns have cut seals, tubing seams and are over lubed. This will cause dieseling and will eventually burn through the piston seal. Most of the Hw95 family guns have binding cocking arms which cause barrel droop. I just had a new 22 caliber Hw50 that had significant droop for unseen reasons. Many Weihrauchs have had scored compression tubes from swarf as well.

Even with all that I still love my Weihrauchs. They have great accuracy potential and I think the designs are excellent (for the most part).BUT I have the abilities to address the QC issues. However the general consumer in the real world might not and there's a high probability of them needing repair within the first couple thousand shots. Once properly addressed they will last many thousands of shots only occasionally needing a replacement piston seal and or spring.
Hmmm...I must have got lucky because all three of mine have been trouble free from day 1. I did have the HW97 professionally tuned but it had zero issues prior.

Both my 30 and 50 have been impeccable in every way and that's coming from a guy with OCD tendencies.

It's true that I only average a couple dozen shots/week in each of my springers but I've zero need to install tune kits in my 30 and 50 as they've been running stellar in factory form.

Reactions: Deerstalker
Hmmm...I must have got lucky because all three of mine have been trouble free from day 1. I did have the HW97 professionally tuned but it had zero issues prior.

Both my 30 and 50 have been impeccable in every way and that's coming from a guy with OCD tendencies.

It's true that I only average a couple dozen shots/week in each of my springers but I've zero need to install tune kits in my 30 and 50 as they've been running stellar in factory form.
When were your 30 and 50 built? Also occasionally shooting them only a little bit is entirely different than shooting them alot where the problems occur. Or taking them apart and knowing what defects to look for. My truck will obviously drive great and last many more years too, if I hardly ever drive it.

What I find interesting is after having your 97 professionally tuned, you're still happy with your untuned 30 and 50. Usually it's hard to shoot an untuned springer after shooting a tuned one. Especially if you are OCD like me.

Fwiw I didn't type these lengthy post to rain on anyone's parade. I only wanted to educate people about current QC issues. I can back them up with dozens of photos of the defects in the last five rifles I've worked on. Four of them were for other people so I always document the condition of the rifles to show why and what needs to be done. Oh crap actually it was the last six rifles. I forgot the replacement for the unfixable 50 had defects too. At least it was fixable.

I'm hoping you never have a problem with your rifles and I'm glad you're happy with them. I wish you the best of luck with your factory rifles and I hope they serve you well for a long time.

Ron

Last edited:
I have been very fortunate to receive excellent Weihrauch rifles and pistols without any manufacturers defects. If I received a Weihrauch rifle with that many issues I would immediately return it and request a new one.
I probably should have. I was just afraid I would get another junker, and this one has a good barrel now it’s the challenge of it

Yup
I probably should have. I was just afraid I would get another junker, and this one has a good barrel now it’s the challenge of it
, Why i just kept the 3ed rma one. It was best of the 3 and you kinda get tired of the rma game. I did not spend that kinda money to have it in the mail for weeks hoping i eventually get what i paid for ..lol..

Another funny thing on that 3ed gun after i got it " fixed" with in 5 months the spring broke in like 5 spots.. so in less then a year i had the money for the gun + another 80$+/- for a spring and seal stuff .. sad..😭 funny i got a walmart gamo that shoots just as good and more power and in 5 years been near issue free / 0 maintenance at 1/2 the cost... ( And 5 year warranty)..

Not saying gamo is all great , but .....

I've purchased five Weihrauch rifles in the last year. Only one had any problems. I sent it back to AOA and they replaced the piston seal.

The other four are untuned and stellar shooters. None have been over lubed. No dieseling and after two tins of pellets, the spring noise became negligible. I shoot every day the weather permits. About 6000 shots in the last 9 months.

Two were purchased from Krale and one from Mundilar and one from AOA.

YMMV of course, but I've had good results with my new rifles.
Cheers

Last edited:
I've purchased five Weihrauch rifles in the last year. Only one had any problems. I sent it back to AOA and they replaced the piston seal.

The other four are untuned and stellar shooters. None have been over lubed. No dieseling and after two tins of pellets, the spring noise became negligible. I shoot every day the weater permits. About 6000 shots in the last 9 months.

Two were purchased from Krale and one from Mundilar and one from AOA.

YMMV of course, but I've had good results with my new rifles.
Cheers
maybe a mistake but I'm going to open her up next week when the ARH kit shows up it is so noisy when being cocked . don't sound like a spring noise !! kind of nerves any warranty is void once I do that. oh well no guts no glory. the noise is like the cocking shoe is binding. I have had the stock off a couple times even cocked it slow with stock off don't see anything . my first HW disassemble kind of looking forward to it

Broken spring
That high quality german steel.😉

r9quailityspring.jpg

quailtyR9mainspring...jpg

r9 piston quality .jpg

Reactions: maxtrouble
update . Installed the ARH spring kit notice no difference in cocking effect . But no more spring noise when being fired., an slight push no spring torque . An no noise whe cocking What did i find when opened up? Spring was dry dry . A cocking shoe had a slice dur I heck on from the sliver of wood back in the begaining. Ok about 40 pellets in will update

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
That tells me a lot about my HW95 so will strip and check it over ,ive only had it for 18 months brand new i think its over powered as its not nice to shoot .
I do think if you get one and you feel your going to keep it just tare it down clean and inspect the factory doings and go back with it properly lubed and all. Seems they slap them together fast and ship them as is however..

HW95L field pro 177ca Update from January of 2023 this rifle has been a pain in my side .But many tins of pellets an 3 scopes later I have discovered 2 vary important things. #1 The bore on my HW50 is a LOT tighter than the bore of this rifle #2. Even though all my bolts are tight the action moves in the stock .
It’s not sloppy lose , but i notice a lot of space at the rear. And with the gun setting on my leg I could take hold of barrel an with some effort push the action back rearward, then when I shot it moved forward leaving a big gap at the rear This could vary well explain the erratic shooting characteristic Of this rifle 🤔 what you guys think. And what is glass beding Could this solve my is issue? I better go watch a utube video on this

There's almost always a gap behind the compression tube. If the stock and action slide at all, theres a problem. There's always a little wiggle room in a stock to align the screw holes. Usually the stock is registered securely to the action by the fit and clamping force of the trigger guard. If your stock moves on the action something isn't fitted or assembled correctly or the the screws are not sufficiently tight.
The trigger guard should drop over and straddle the trigger adjustment screw tang.
Assemble stock with all four screws loosely,
then snug them
Torque front trigger guard to 44 inlbs
Torque Rear trigger guard to 15 inlbs
Then tighten front side screws to 22 inlbs.

Make sure the cocking arm can be easily wiggled with the gun closed.

HW95L field pro 177ca Update from January of 2023 this rifle has been a pain in my side .But many tins of pellets an 3 scopes later I have discovered 2 vary important things. #1 The bore on my HW50 is a LOT tighter than the bore of this rifle #2. Even though all my bolts are tight the action moves in the stock .
It’s not sloppy lose , but i notice a lot of space at the rear. And with the gun setting on my leg I could take hold of barrel an with some effort push the action back rearward, then when I shot it moved forward leaving a big gap at the rear This could vary well explain the erratic shooting characteristic Of this rifle 🤔 what you guys think. And what is glass beding Could this solve my is issue? I better go watch a utube video on this
I got shims in my r9 stock. I noticed after time or high lotsa shooting the receiver fit loose in the stock . Kinda got like you discribe somewhat.

This (on each side) hard plastic stops the forward thrusting.
r9shim1.jpg
This (2 thin rubber innertube rectangles) keeps the receiver centered

r9shim2.jpg

now behind the receiver tube there's still that air gap between it and the stock wood ( forgot to take picture).

anyway with them the receiver dont move /thrust forward like it wanted and the tube is centered in the stock instead of off to one side. All screw holes line up and so far it all stays put nice and firm.

Last edited:
Man, that is scary on all the bad posts on HW quality. I am saving up for a HW 98. Would a TX 200 or HW 97 be a better choice? I love break barrels but I do not have the mechanical skills to tinker with or tune them. Note AOA said they have a lifetime warranty on their HW guns. I mentioned this on other posts before but they fixed my HW 35 after 7 years of selling it to me. Did not find any warranty issues but still did not charge me.

Man, that is scary on all the bad posts on HW quality. I am saving up for a HW 98. Would a TX 200 or HW 97 be a better choice? I love break barrels but I do not have the mechanical skills to tinker with or tune them. Note AOA said they have a lifetime warranty on their HW guns. I mentioned this on other posts before but they fixed my HW 35 after 7 years of selling it to me. Did not find any warranty issues but still did not charge me.
Naaa.. im not deterred. I just think a guy gets lax on keeping or checking screes and shoots loose its going to move and wallow around from recoil. Then that beech wood aint hard like walnut or hickory wood probably just a step up from pine ..lol

Seems new out of the box hw needs a bit of tlc but once you get past there growing pains daily maintenance becomes whenever time to time. Ots just the nature of the gun .. i use to joke how my r9 stayed on the work bench more then the shooting bench.. lol . Right now a few years later i wound not trade it for anything...

The growing pains is part of its experience.. ( opinion).

Naaa.. im not deterred. I just think a guy gets lax on keeping or checking screes and shoots loose its going to move and wallow around from recoil. Then that beech wood aint hard like walnut or hickory wood probably just a step up from pine ..lol

Seems new out of the box hw needs a bit of tlc but once you get past there growing pains daily maintenance becomes whenever time to time. Ots just the nature of the gun .. i use to joke how my r9 stayed on the work bench more then the shooting bench.. lol . Right now a few years later i wound not trade it for anything...

The growing pains is part of its experience.. ( opinion).
Yes mine is on the workbench a lot but I’m determined

Reactions: Hateful McNasty