• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW95 field pro 177 cal, update

First thoughts of my new HW 95 Feild Pro .177 cal
….the trigger was 3.5 pounds plus . There was no screwdriver in the world that would turn it, not even those expensive gunsmith ones. Let’s leave it at that. It now has nice 1.5 trigger.
I gave it a good cleaning. I mounted the scope, and I was off to shoot! It shoots very low. (Barrel droop) There wouldn’t be enough adjustment in the scope to fix that, so I just shot it 20 or 30 times to get the feel of it. It’s harsh, so I shim the scope.
I start the shooting again. I’m thinking maybe I just need to break this in. After about 100 pellets, it started making a terrible noise when closing the barrel. 🙁. I. removed the stock to inspect and I find a sliver of wood in the cocking shoe, and a piece of wood where the shoe should sit in the closed position. I cleaned and reassembled it. I shoot about 500 pellets, or one tin of cheap Crosman pellets. It is still a very harsh shot cycle.
I gave the barrel a good cleaning. This time I break out the good pellets. AA, HN, and JSB.s weren‘t too bad in the accuracy department. Then, somewhere around 700 pellets, the Weihrauch scope that came with the gun failed. So, I mount a UTG scope with a droop compensator mount . I go to give it another try. Now around a 1000 plus pellets, it still has a harsh shot cycle. I left it cocked for 2 hours. Lol This did not help.
My opinion is ….It has a harsh shot cycle; it’s noisy to cock; and the trigger needs more work . I keep asking myself… should I send it back or accept the challenge ? 🤔 I like the gun. It fits me good, so I’ll probably keep it. Now…..do I want a full power kit or a 12 ft pound kit? 🤔🤔 I’m leaning towards the 12ft kit, because then I won’t have a need for a HW50!🤣 And besides, I have a magnum 177 Diana 48. ( tuned ) and my Hw97 177 cal. SO should I keep it or send it back? OR keep it and tune it up? Which power? Opinions?

Reactions: maxtrouble
The trigger adjustment screw has to much bend on the locking arm. Rekord has been over locking the locking arm for quite a while now. It is tricky to get the soft aluminum screw moving again. Barrel droop is normal but mine just happens to be straight as an arrow. Luck of the draw. I don’t understand the wood thing exactly but sounds like you solved it. You might just exchange the gun for another and hope for less droop and an easier trigger screw.

It seems new is not as good as old.
After you get that many pellets through it, it should be a lot better.
If not and you want to keep it put a "tune kit" in it.
Oh and shoot heavier pellets through it. My 95 is a heck of a lot better than my 50!
It is too early to judge,I think .177 should not be overpowered,I just put the 12lb. kit in my HW50, which was also harsh.
You know what I am thinking is this, HW springers are not as good as they used to be .. judging
by the complaints I read. Like lower standards of workmanship.
Many years ago there were not enough workers in Germany and they imported more.
Maybe the machinery is not as crisp,I really do not know, other than older is better.
;)

Last edited:
the sun was shining Got Chrono out got this #s Crosman 7:9 hollow point high of 929 low 911. 18 difference. HN Baracuda Hunter extreme 9.59 gr. High 855 low 849 6 spread. AA. Diablo field 8.44 gr. High of 901 low 894. Spread 7. JSB exact heavy Diablo 10.34 gr. High 810 low 804 spread 6. All 5 shots seems to like the better grad of pellet 😁 not a cheap date . if it would just stop make the sound of running a file over soft steel every time I cocked it

Make sure you can wiggle the cocking arm with barrel closed. If you can't there is probably contact between the cocking arm and breech block preventing full lock up resulting in the droop. This has been very common with the newer hw95/98 platforms, many threads about it. It's worth checking and costs nothing, easiest if it is separated from the stock.

Make sure you can wiggle the cocking arm with barrel closed. If you can't there is probably contact between the cocking arm and breech block preventing full lock up resulting in the droop. This has been very common with the newer hw95/98 platforms, many threads about it. It's worth checking and costs nothing, easiest if it is separated from the stock.
thank you I remembered reading something about this but could not find the the post

thank you I remembered reading something about this but could not find the the post
Ok check no wiggle but after some flash light work a some grease. Found a tight spot on cocking arm with a polishing stone and a little elbow grease was able to get that off now have the slights wiggle also found what looked to be wood pulp at reciev were barrel meets I think may have barrel droop about fixed going to mount hawk scope without droop mount an see were I’m at. I think I should just take this unit allllllll apart. Clean an Reassemble I keep finding little things that shouldn’t be You know in Europe they can have a pint with lunch I’m wonduring if my was a 2 pint Friday 🤣

If you think the barrel droop was corrected based on what you did you should start
shooting higher than before. Provided your scope settings are still where you left
them. I would still go ahead a use the droop mount.
Yes is now shooting higher. At 20 yards about 4 inches with a range of pellets. with the utg a droop mount. Installed hawk With sport match mount. ( scope) being centered Still shoot a little low but within the range of adjustments of scope even at further distance. This is my project gun I have decided 😁 I tamed a Diana 48 .177 I feel I can conquer this one 🙏. Thanks to everyone that commented I

The trigger adjustment screw has to much bend on the locking arm. Rekord has been over locking the locking arm for quite a while now. It is tricky to get the soft aluminum screw moving again. Barrel droop is normal but mine just happens to be straight as an arrow. Luck of the draw. I don’t understand the wood thing exactly but sounds like you solved it. You might just exchange the gun for another and hope for less droop and an easier trigger screw.
Dont guess i ever had a droop issue with a hw unlike a diana / rws. Now them replacement cocking arms some guys are getting may have a incorrect bend , but in a new gun ??? I guess it could Carry over to new ..

Reactions: Frogy
Still wring in the new Hw95

6D403EF6-89FE-42C7-8473-7A0AA89BCEB6.jpeg

240404F4-C973-4B8F-9A81-71A9835E43E6.jpeg

First thoughts of my new HW 95 Feild Pro .177 cal
….the trigger was 3.5 pounds plus . There was no screwdriver in the world that would turn it, not even those expensive gunsmith ones. Let’s leave it at that. It now has nice 1.5 trigger.
I gave it a good cleaning. I mounted the scope, and I was off to shoot! It shoots very low. (Barrel droop) There wouldn’t be enough adjustment in the scope to fix that, so I just shot it 20 or 30 times to get the feel of it. It’s harsh, so I shim the scope.
I start the shooting again. I’m thinking maybe I just need to break this in. After about 100 pellets, it started making a terrible noise when closing the barrel. 🙁. I. removed the stock to inspect and I find a sliver of wood in the cocking shoe, and a piece of wood where the shoe should sit in the closed position. I cleaned and reassembled it. I shoot about 500 pellets, or one tin of cheap Crosman pellets. It is still a very harsh shot cycle.
I gave the barrel a good cleaning. This time I break out the good pellets. AA, HN, and JSB.s weren‘t too bad in the accuracy department. Then, somewhere around 700 pellets, the Weihrauch scope that came with the gun failed. So, I mount a UTG scope with a droop compensator mount . I go to give it another try. Now around a 1000 plus pellets, it still has a harsh shot cycle. I left it cocked for 2 hours. Lol This did not help.
My opinion is ….It has a harsh shot cycle; it’s noisy to cock; and the trigger needs more work . I keep asking myself… should I send it back or accept the challenge ? 🤔 I like the gun. It fits me good, so I’ll probably keep it. Now…..do I want a full power kit or a 12 ft pound kit? 🤔🤔 I’m leaning towards the 12ft kit, because then I won’t have a need for a HW50!🤣 And besides, I have a magnum 177 Diana 48. ( tuned ) and my Hw97 177 cal. SO should I keep it or send it back? OR keep it and tune it up? Which power? Opinions?
Yep, the trigger passes through an L shaped metal bracket and they bend the bracket at the factory. Why? I dunno, but I bet it is some kind of legal thing. You have to be real careful with a new rifle or you will strip the threads on the soft aluminum screw and whoops..........
I just take the action out of the stock and straighten the L bracket carefully with needle nose and then adjust the screw and when it is where I want it, I put one drop of thread loc on it and let it run down around the threads and sit overnight.
No they do not tell you this, and no one will admit it either. However yes they do this at the factory.
Cheers
Kit

It seems new is not as good as old.
After you get that many pellets through it, it should be a lot better.
If not and you want to keep it put a "tune kit" in it.
Oh and shoot heavier pellets through it. My 95 is a heck of a lot better than my 50!
It is too early to judge,I think .177 should not be overpowered,I just put the 12lb. kit in my HW50, which was also harsh.
You know what I am thinking is this, HW springers are not as good as they used to be .. judging
by the complaints I read. Like lower standards of workmanship.
Many years ago there were not enough workers in Germany and they imported more.
Maybe the machinery is not as crisp,I really do not know, other than older is better.
;)
I thought the Germans made everything perfect.

I have been very fortunate to receive excellent Weihrauch rifles and pistols without any manufacturers defects. If I received a Weihrauch rifle with that many issues I would immediately return it and request a new one.
My latest r9 experience from P.A i sent 2 back and should of sent the 3ed back for refund... It was that bad. The 3ed i just got right on my own .( Kinda glad ots now pretty good). Bit you spend that kinda money you kinda expect a first quaility product not say or think what the heck is this ..lol and just rebox it for return

Reactions: Deerstalker
I have been very fortunate to receive excellent Weihrauch rifles and pistols without any manufacturers defects. If I received a Weihrauch rifle with that many issues I would immediately return it and request a new one.
You haven't bought enough Weihrauchs lately then. Four of the last four Weihrauch guns I tuned had "Defects". Three of them were brand new. One was a year old. One was unfixable. All of them assembled sloppily with too much lube. Three with cut piston seals. The last 5 guns I did, all post 2021 guns the tubing seam in the compression tube was visible and ran the full length of the compression tube ID. Not great for cylinder sealing. Quality control has been down since a year or two Pre-covid and worse since covid.

Basically almost all the guns have cut seals, tubing seams and are over lubed. This will cause dieseling and will eventually burn through the piston seal. Most of the Hw95 family guns have binding cocking arms which cause barrel droop. I just had a new 22 caliber Hw50 that had significant droop for unseen reasons. Many Weihrauchs have had scored compression tubes from swarf as well.

Even with all that I still love my Weihrauchs. They have great accuracy potential and I think the designs are excellent (for the most part).BUT I have the abilities to address the QC issues. However the general consumer in the real world might not and there's a high probability of them needing repair within the first couple thousand shots. Once properly addressed they will last many thousands of shots only occasionally needing a replacement piston seal and or spring.