This is my 20+ year old Russ Best tuned HW-85 in .22cal, absolutely love it, feed it H&N Field Target Specials and Barracudas.
View attachment 433659
View attachment 433660
Sorry Dude i dont think that is a Mark 1 HW85 they had no rails in the comp tube
They had a seperate mounting block that slotted into the Cylinder as it was to thin walled to machine into

it also has the screw in back block as per the 80 yours is a later version

Enclosed is a pic of a 1986 Mk1with the scope block shown it was one of the first to be imported to the UK
It is 38 years old
Yours does look very nice though i must say but the Original is getting quite rare

Mk 1 85 earliest.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry Dude i dont think that is a Mark 1 HW85 they had no rails in the comp tube
They had a seperate mounting block that slotted into the Cylinder as it was to thin walled to machine into

it also has the screw in back block as per the 80 yours is a later version

Enclosed is a pic of a 1986 Mk1with the scope block shown it was one of the first to be imported to the UK
It is 38 years old
Yours does look very nice though i must say but the Original is getting quite rare

View attachment 454410
The old 85s were the same as an R10 they were thin walled compression tube with an additional scope rail attached on top. Later models were the same as the current 95 with a longer barrel.
HTH
Ron

Reactions: crowski
I agree. I now have 2 85’s. Current models. Would love an older model. Crow
Have you owned or shot the bsf/hw hybrids? I have a marksman 55,70, 58s. They are all basically hw85's with bsf sights on them and different stocks. Some had the old "perfekt" trigger, later ones have the "rekord" trigger. All of mine are rekord trigger versions, and I absolutely love them! I also have a san Rafael era r10 deluxe in .20....lefty! It is my understanding that the only reason The r9 was created is because the r10 was far more expensive to manufacture. So when I think r9, I think "cheaper made r10"

Have you owned or shot the bsf/hw hybrids? I have a marksman 55,70, 58s. They are all basically hw85's with bsf sights on them and different stocks. Some had the old "perfekt" trigger, later ones have the "rekord" trigger. All of mine are rekord trigger versions, and I absolutely love them! I also have a san Rafael era r10 deluxe in .20....lefty! It is my understanding that the only reason The r9 was created is because the r10 was far more expensive to manufacture. So when I think r9, I think "cheaper made r10"
Honestly, never even heard of them. Only into air guns 5-6 years. I will watch for them now. Appreciate the heads up. Would really like a Beeman san Rafael .20 cal., some day. I have 3 cheaper r10’s, ha ha. Crow

Honestly, never even heard of them. Only into air guns 5-6 years. I will watch for them now. Appreciate the heads up. Would really like a Beeman san Rafael .20 cal., some day. I have 3 cheaper r10’s, ha ha. Crow
Got the "cheaper R10" myself aka R9 .20...lol. Have to settle on the R10 .20 I guess, since mine is marked Santa Rosa, not San Rafael...lol.

Reactions: crowski