• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW80 vs HW95

HW95 for .177, HW80 for a little more power if .22 is your choice and don’t mind a little extra weight and slightly more animated firing cycle. The 95 is also nice in .22 but with a little more arc in trajectory. I find the R9/95 a little easier to shoot accurately when both are barreled in .177. Both are great platforms for springers, you really can’t go wrong with either.

Good luck!

Dude I love my hw95 .22 so much. It seems to like the predator gto best out of what I tried. Which is a lighter pelet and seems to shoot fairly flat from 25-40 yards . I haven't pushed it further than that yet 
IMG_20210117_182917_619.1613721634.jpg

Not a fan of the 80. The piston diameter is too big, and makes for an inefficient powerplant. Too harsh and too heavy for a very marginal power increase. 

The HW95 is much nicer to shoot, and doesn't give up much power.

He is right. The 80 is inconsistent compared to the HW95. You might get a good one and you might not. I have had around 5-6 HW80's over the years and around 6-8 HW95's. Tuning the HW80 is not as easy but it does compensate quit a bit over stock. The Maccari kit in HW80 is really good, but I would get a Vortek piston seal as they seem more consistent. If we are talking out of the box only, then I would take the HW95 every time. IMO the HW95 is the best all around springer you can buy. Even the best tuners back in the day would tune the HW80, or back then the R1 to around 780fps with 14.3 grain pellet. You can get 825fps but most won't like the recoil. The smoothest springers out of the box are Air Arms. 

HW95 or it's R9 equivalent... hands down. HW80 is marginally (bitsy) more power; def not worth the extra weight.

If willing to look beyond HW brand, the new Diana 34 EMS (non-ntec version) is a worthy look.. its feels very nice and feels light. A performer.

Cant go wrong with either. I'd get both the 95/R9 and the 34 EMS. (Actually have all 3 mentioned above, however if were to do it again that is :). Good luck!

I have owned both, although I do not have a 95/R9 right now. I do not like the R1 in .177. I don’t think the power plant lends itself well to that small caliber and it’s not efficient. I have a tuned R1 in .20 that I would consider a perfect balance for that bigger power plant, but I like it in .22 also. I like the R9 in .177 with a 10+ grain pellet. I think both guns have their respective places. The R9 is easier to cock and shoot, but if I wanted a 15 ft-lb gun, the R9 would be on the ragged edge and the R1 would be in its sweet spot. I need to get another R9, it is a good balance. Right now however, if I want power I grab an R1 and if I want less hold sensitivity and an all day shooter, I grab an R7. So given that I have the choice of both ends of the spectrum, I don’t really feel the need to get the “best all around” gun. Just my opinion on it, but I never mind adding a new one to the collection.

So what I need is an HW30 and HW80... and then I will realize how much I want a HW95... hehe.

What about in terms of overall durability and build quality? I get the impression that the HW80 is overall more overbuilt and rugged than a HW95.

Everything ahead of the trigger guard is built the exact same on both guns. Only major difference is the 95 has an aluminum endplug that slides into the tube, where the 80 has a solid steel plug that threads in. In use, this makes no difference. This is where a lot of the extra weight of the 80 comes from, as that plug is HEAVY. 

Bryan, I caught that thing in Lacassine Federal Wildlife Refuge. It's actually a federal bird refuge in southwest Louisiana, but its open for fishing for half of the year, when ducks and geese are up north. Caught it in less than three feet of water. It was only 8 1/2 lbs though and what I want is 10, so I put it right back where I caught it.

After thinking about the discussion at hand, I have to take back a statement that I made. I don't think that the R9 is the "best all around" gun from Weihrauch/Beeman. Some might say it would be the HW50, and I would say that would be close. But I would argue that the "best all around" gun is the R8. It is built almost EXACTLY like the R1 including solid plug at the butt of the action and the Goudy inspired stock. Good luck finding one though. It took me a really long time to find it. This is an R1 that they trimmed down in every way, but made it exactly the same. I would say that THIS is "best all around." So, I guess I don't need an R9, but I'm not above getting another one...

trifecta.1613871950.jpeg

I have an HW98 that I really like. I find the R1/R80 too heavy, too hard to cock (I'm not in good health). The R8 is wonderful, but very difficult to find? You mention "glass", so the HW98 might be perfect for you? Someone has an R11, Beeman's version of the HW98 on flea bay now, somewhat rare and if you want something out-of-the ordinary? Finally, if you might want a somewhat smaller AG, consider an R7?
L1007612.1613876449.jpg

I own and have owned many of both. They are both wonderful. One of them is the most successful high-powered spring piston airgun ever.

when the R1 came out, had to be 25 years ago, it was the miracle gun for its power and accuracy. It is the Tyrannosaurus rex of spring piston air guns. Every one I have owned, has been incredibly accurate. Some were tuned, some were not. They all of course have wonderful triggers.

If you want to hammer prey at long range, past 50 yards, it’s the R1.

I have a stock R1, in 177, it is laser accurate, and has a very smooth cycle. I have a 20 R1 laser edition. Maybe the best long range unit ever.

if you want the biggest baddest dude that you can get with a spring piston air gun, and you prefer the German stuff, it is the R1. I have owned or own every caliber.

The R9 95HW 98, are lighter, and easier to shoot especially at targets. They still have plenty of smack to take out pests to 50 yards.

If you’re going to mainly target shoot, I would say go with the R9 in 177.

Do you want T Rex? He is arguably harder to shoot. And heavier. But his nickname is T Rex, not bunny rabbit.

have fun with whatever you choose.

Get a good powerful scope if you’re going to shoot at targets. Extra weight on top will help you unless you’re hunting and walking. 

I would suggest buying one or the other now, and start budgeting for the next one immediately.
More seriously, consider going used, it so much fun to shop, it’s just like hunting. I think I’ve only bought one or two spring piston air guns new. Many more used.

you should be able to get something nice for $.60 on the dollar. Maybe less if you are patient and lucky.

mike

Well I can tell you this much, there are about to be some bargains in the classifieds! As soon as I get home I am gonna start sorting and posting ads. I will probably keep one that I already have, at least short term. The hard decision now is picking the gun to keep! Might hang on to the old school Gamo whisper for a beater.

As for glass I prefer short, light, simple and rugged. My favorite scope of all time is Leupold’s 4x28 FXI. It is a great little scope and the only one I’ve had that my oldest girl can use without some struggle to see. Took it off my Disco and slapped it on her .22. Both my little ones learned to shoot on it.

I bet an HW95 with a FXI 4x28 would be a joy to carry and shoot. But I don’t think an HW80 would be too terrible to carry with the same sweet little scope. What do you think about that?

I’d love an HW30 but it’s too nice an air gun to go chopping the end of the buttstock off for the kids, lol.