HW80/R1 vs HW90/RX2?

I've been thinking, (reading reviews voraciously) and I am pondering the following:

My previous experience with break barrels in .25 is with the Beeman Crow Magnum / Theoben Eliminator and a Webley & Scott Patriot/Beeman Kodiak (English made).

The HW 90 even with the air piston barely generates 20fpe with light pellets or is this figure wrong? The figures in .22 for the HW90 were much better with more fpe and much better range and trajectory. After reading the reviews it appears that the .22 is? the better choice as a general hunting rifle based on FPE figures.

I would have thought the exact opposite since you are heaving a huge chunk of lead. In a similar analogy 9mms can definitely do the job but even a body shot from a .45 and generally speaking - it's over.

So, confronted with several reviews stating that .25 isn't the end all in an HW90 unless your 20 yards or less (30 yards max) it prompted me to look at the RWS350 Magnum in .22 as an option if were staying in the .22 box.

I looked for a piston / spring break barrel in .25 with real 30 FPE for dropping game like an eliminator or patriot, but nothing seems to rival them unless you want to compromise on quality. I don't really want to make that compromise.

I read reviews about the Hatsan 135QE in .30 all of which raved about the awesome power but also then raised questions about quality. Quality is why I was focused on the HW90 in the first place.

HW's quality is well known and undeniable. Seems like a no brainer (to me anyway) that HW could engineer a world dominating springer. If anyone could crack the 30 FPE barrier it would be their experienced German engineers. The Brits did it and beautifully with the Webley.

So, I have come to the end of my whining now and humbly ask you knowledgeable gentlemen to share your views.

Last edited:
I owned a .25 Hatsan 135 back in 2012/2014 - The Best thing about were its looks.
- Now if you don't mind 2" groups at 50 yards, then OK. Maybe it was my bad?

Many folks I've talked to mentioned the Diana 350 was also relatively difficult to shoot accurately (long piston stroke).

Hatsan135.jpg

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Well i got sub $200 guns shoot as good or better the $300+ guns.

Its its a good'un you can shoot well or its not. Some may not but you can "make it". Some end up as a its a shame pile. This last r9 deal i sent it back 2 times the 3ed i was able to salvage it and make it good as expected still in under a year the seal was bad / spider web cracked and the spring broken in like 5 places .. ( i guess thats 400$ worth,right?) . Most all needed a little tweak , mod or somthing to get the best out of it.

But funny best right out of the box was the hatsan 95 qe.. but after a few 100 shots it showed piston seal failure and had to getto tune it and its all good again.. / clean hatsans assembly mess up. So to me it a you buy , you try, and hope it dont make you cry.. a 200$ hit dont hurt as bad as a $400+ hit 😉.. less tears anyway.

just to throw something else in @ 4 inch longer barrel

Excellent thread on the HW90