HW/Weihrauch HW80 K long range hunter

Hey so it’s new gun day for me, HW80 “long rang hunter “ .22 beautiful gun. Fit and finish is outstanding.

The problem I’m having is why does it make 13.5 ftlbs. The factory tag says so and so does the chronograph.

It’s not exactly the OG Magnum as described, so my question is what kinda power is everyone else getting? Also my HW77 only 6 months old is making 14 ftlbs so I’m guessing I must not be the only person wondering?

But a FAC HW80 that doesn’t make HW95 velocity I really could have save some money

Ok and I do understand what is accurate in a spring gun, but I could have save some money getting the 95.

Not exactly what is displayed on the internet.

Pellets are H&N FFT and Crosman premier.

I will run some more and post again.
Those pellets should be fine from an energy standpoint. Sometimes oddball and heavy pellets will lose you a couple FPE but not those. I'd think 17fpe would be about right from the factory with either. Mine (tuned .177) is pushing 19fpe so yours can absolutely make more power if needed

I think the point I’m am going towards is being lost. I just spent over $800 on a HW rifle in .22 that is advertised to make 20 ftlbs.

I could have spent a couple of hundred dollars less on a rifle that is advertised to make 13 ft/lbs.

I however opted to spend more money for the rifle that was supposed to perform as advertised.

Apparently there is some kind of disconnect here, I am asking all the members here if their HW80 is making reported power, or if their rifle is like mine. Because it doesn’t matter who makes the rifle if it does not perform as advertised there is a problem.

If I would have known my HW80 would make 13.5 ftlbs I would have not spent $800 on it.

Here's something I've found odd about the new 80s and I've brought it up before but this seems relevant.

Per Krale specs:

HW80 SL, 19" barrel and 23J
HW80 SLK, 16" barrel and 20J

AoAs HW80 Long Range Hunter has a 12" barrel, energy not disclosed. Just a velocity

Now I know you CAN get at least 18ftlbs out of a 9" barrel but I'm wondering with the big piston and shorter stroke of the 80 if maybe that may affect things some with pressures and air volume where barrel length takes affect. Just a thought.

Reactions: Bandito
Here's something I've found odd about the new 80s and I've brought it up before but this seems relevant.

Per Krale specs:

HW80 SL, 19" barrel and 23J
HW80 SLK, 16" barrel and 20J

AoAs HW80 Long Range Hunter has a 12" barrel, energy not disclosed. Just a velocity

Now I know you CAN get at least 18ftlbs out of a 9" barrel but I'm wondering with the big piston and shorter stroke of the 80 if maybe that may affect things some with pressures and air volume where barrel length takes affect. Just a thought.

I think the point I’m am going towards is being lost. I just spent over $800 on a HW rifle in .22 that is advertised to make 20 ftlbs.

I could have spent a couple of hundred dollars less on a rifle that is advertised to make 13 ft/lbs.

I however opted to spend more money for the rifle that was supposed to perform as advertised.

Apparently there is some kind of disconnect here, I am asking all the members here if their HW80 is making reported power, or if their rifle is like mine. Because it doesn’t matter who makes the rifle if it does not perform as advertised there is a problem.

If I would have known my HW80 would make 13.5 ftlbs I would have not spent $800 on it.
My HW80S in .20 caliber shoots at roughly 18/19 FPE - shooting 13.73 JSB's at 780/795 FPS.
My gun came originally as a .22 caliber and shot at 19/20 FPE out of the box. I would expect the gun to shoot at least 16/18 FPE out of the box.

Guaranteed, the HW80 platform should be able to reach 19/20 FPE in .22 caliber. At 19/20 FPE it has a pretty harsh shot cycle and hence I wouldn't recommend maxing it out to this level. However, I've kept mine at 18/19 FPE because it's my most accurate gun and I don't want to change anything.

So the answer is Yes, something is wrong with the spring, piston seal or compression tube of the gun.
I think it will make you feel better - to send it back at their cost and either have them fix it, give you another HW80 tested to be more powerful or a different gun altogether.

IMO, they should've known better than to ship this gun with their (own) measured deficiencies. Unfortunately, sometimes vendors get busy and this is missed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deerstalker
My HW80S in .20 caliber shoots at roughly 18/19 FPE - shooting 13.73 JSB's at 780/795 FPS.
My gun came originally as a .22 caliber and shot at 19/20 FPE out of the box. I would expect the gun to shoot at least 16/18 FPE out of the box.

Guaranteed, the HW80 platform should be able to reach 19/20 FPE in .22 caliber. At 19/20 FPE it has a pretty harsh shot cycle and hence I wouldn't recommend maxing it out to this level. However, I've kept mine at 18/19 FPE because it's my most accurate gun and I don't want to change anything.

So the answer is Yes, something is wrong with the spring, piston seal or compression tube of the gun.
I think it will make you feel better - to send it back at their cost and either have them fix it, give you another HW80 tested to be more powerful or a different gun altogether.

IMO, they should've known better than to ship this gun with their (own) measured deficiencies. Unfortunately, sometimes vendors get busy and this is missed.
Thank you

Nothing is being lost on me. I'm trying to help you. I'm telling you something isn't right. I was trying to collect information to see if it was terminal or worth addressing privately. If returning the rifle is possible I'd recommend that. Typically many people have Weihrauchs gutted and tuned because the unfortunate truth is they're buzzy and unpleasant to shoot as delivered. In most cases a tuner will be able to get advertised power while making the gun far more pleasant to shoot. And occasionally more accurately.

Since you're understandably unhappy I'd recommend you seek a replacement or a refund before being angry at people trying to help you.

Nothing is being lost on me. I'm trying to help you. I'm telling you something isn't right. I was trying to collect information to see if it was terminal or worth addressing privately. If returning the rifle is possible I'd recommend that. Typically many people have Weihrauchs gutted and tuned because the unfortunate truth is they're buzzy and unpleasant to shoot as delivered. In most cases a tuner will be able to get advertised power while making the gun far more pleasant to shoot. And occasionally more accurately.

Since you're understandably unhappy I'd recommend you seek a replacement or a refund before being angry at people trying to help you.
I’m not unhappy with you and I am sorry if I came of to that manner.

I am sorry if I offended you, that is not the point I’m trying to make or the intention of my post.

Thank you for your opinion, that’s why I came to this website as we are supposed to look after each other.

I am not trying to cause a problem with any individual here.

Here is the problem, we spend a lot of money and expect a product. If the product does not reflect what is promised it should be brought to light. Not everyone has $800 to drop on a product that does not deliver to the expectation. I would be that if my product is delivered in subpar condition then others are also.

It’s not uncommon in this industry, as I spent a lot of money on a FX Impact M3 that went back to Fx4 times. Ya it’s nice now but why does all this have to happen?

I work in an industry in which I stop people from dieing. I don’t have the opportunity to stop the person from dieing 4 times. I get 1 chance. However once upon a time people actually took pride in their work.

SMDH is there no standard anymore

So, I'll just share what is common with SOME of the new-ish hw50's which is what I have. Apprently a number came over-lubed, and were dieseling and burning up the piston seals. Mine was tuned I think almost when new. VERY few shots thru it, and the seal was burned up. This was of course replaced by the tuner (motorhead). And it does about 16fpe (.22). I think slightly above factory rating. I think generally, the guns are slightly over-sprung possibly with spring fatigue in mind? So, removing this little bit of over-sprung nature tends to increase power a little bit.

So, personally, me being me, if the spring feels like it is doing it's job, I would look into what is needed for disassembly and proper piston/spring lube. Tear it down, replace the seal which I'm sure doesn't cost much, and lube it properly. Should this have to be done to fix a relatively new gun? Of course not. But what is the likelihood the same thing will happen again. What is the liklihood your gun will get lost/damaged/or stolen when shipped? I'm good on all that. I'd sooner fix it myself.

FWIW, I did not have my gun tuned, but it was a sound investment for sure. As I am an absolute novice when it comes to springer tuning. I bought the gun already tuned in like new condition.

IMG_5828.png